[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

Assuming that we buy out Mikheyev, we would have about 19.6 million to spend, plus LTIR of another 2.5 million.

Figure about 9 - 9.5 for Guentzel, I think about 5 million per year for Zadorov would give us 19 players and leave about 5 million plus LTIR for other trinkets and bobbles to round out the lineup.

Assuming that Bains will make the club next season and others who could really surprise and grab a spot in camp, McWard, Brisebois, Raty and I wouldn't rule out Sasson being a surprise, we can make this work and still potentially bring in someone like Tanev to round out defense.

I personally think Silovs signs a 1 - 2 year, 775k one way deal to almost guarantee that he will backup Demko in October.

It's interesting watching some bubble guys sign at league minimum and a bit higher AHL agreements. This will give a number of them a better chance of playing in the NHL next season. The more they can provide viable options at the lowest possible cap hit, the more likely they are to be given the opportunity to prove that they are ready.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Assuming that we buy out Mikheyev, we would have about 19.6 million to spend, plus LTIR of another 2.5 million.

Figure about 9 - 9.5 for Guentzel, I think about 5 million per year for Zadorov would give us 19 players and leave about 5 million plus LTIR for other trinkets and bobbles to round out the lineup.

Assuming that Bains will make the club next season and others who could really surprise and grab a spot in camp, McWard, Brisebois, Raty and I wouldn't rule out Sasson being a surprise, we can make this work and still potentially bring in someone like Tanev to round out defense.

I personally think Silovs signs a 1 - 2 year, 775k one way deal to almost guarantee that he will backup Demko in October.

It's interesting watching some bubble guys sign at league minimum and a bit higher AHL agreements. This will give a number of them a better chance of playing in the NHL next season. The more they can provide viable options at the lowest possible cap hit, the more likely they are to be given the opportunity to prove that they are ready.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see both Garly and Mik moved. If we did that, there are certainly Tocc type players to pick up for the bottom 6 in free agency for a lot less. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see both Garly and Mik moved. If we did that, there are certainly Tocc type players to pick up for the bottom 6 in free agency for a lot less. 

Garland for sure. Mik has no value right now, much like Garland last off season.

Just now, Alflives said:

Garland for sure. Mik has no value right now, much like Garland last off season.

You'd have to think Garly could net a mid-round pick. Maybe Mik's agent can get someone to take him for free. Really open up the cap space. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Would hate to see Garland move, BUT, if there's an option to do a package deal, there's some interesting options out there in this years' UFA pools. If we could move the 2 of them without retention, would put us in a really good spot. Send both of them and our 3rd round pick this year to Columbus for Laine with 3 million retained and a 2024 6th round pick. 

Not sure how that would work out, but that's a swing for the fences type of move. Would net us 4 million in additional space as well.

I'm a big fan of turning draft picks into high end assets and if Laine can make a full recovery, there are few in this league who can shoot the puck like he can. He'd look pretty good taking feeds from Guentzel and Pettersson.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Would hate to see Garland move, BUT, if there's an option to do a package deal, there's some interesting options out there in this years' UFA pools. If we could move the 2 of them without retention, would put us in a really good spot. Send both of them and our 3rd round pick this year to Columbus for Laine with 3 million retained and a 2024 6th round pick. 

Not sure how that would work out, but that's a swing for the fences type of move. Would net us 4 million in additional space as well.

I'm a big fan of turning draft picks into high end assets and if Laine can make a full recovery, there are few in this league who can shoot the puck like he can. He'd look pretty good taking feeds from Guentzel and Pettersson.

I'm OK with it. Garly has shown he'd be a nice fit elsewhere and we need to reallocate as much cap as we can to elite F's and big defensemen. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'm OK with it. Garly has shown he'd be a nice fit elsewhere and we need to reallocate as much cap as we can to elite F's and big defensemen. 

I think that Garland and Hoglander have some sort of personal disconnection. I like them both but that might affect team chemistry over the long haul.

Just now, RWMc1 said:

I think that Garland and Hoglander have some sort of personal disconnection. I like them both but that might affect team chemistry over the long haul.

I haven't heard that but I do think Hogs can (or soon will be able to) do what Garly does, and has better hands for a top 6 role. 

Man I want some cap cleared 🤣 

I wonder if McDonough has any value to a team like CHI? maybe thats enough of a sweetener with Mik?

Just now, Rip The Mesh said:

Garland had a fantastic year.

he did, so lets sell high, as the man said. 

Just now, Rip The Mesh said:

As for Hoglander, he was good at times but Tocchet dropped him down because of inconsistency.

These are inexpensive players you must have in the line-up.

yep. Very good chance of getting 20 goals again out of a 1.1 mil player. 

If we can replace Garly with Carrier for 1/2 the price, while in the meantime using the cap to land Guentzel, sign me up. 

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yup but Z is getting signed regardless of Mikheyev, but we dump that contract we go for the big fish 

Yea I don’t see them losing him if they’re apparently “close” and see him as a part of the core.

Moving Mik would allow us to get another forward or D man.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

You'd have to think Garly could net a mid-round pick. Maybe Mik's agent can get someone to take him for free. Really open up the cap space. 

I think Garland is more valuable to us than a 3rd rounder.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

who do you think would pay more for him? we're looking to add more top tier talent, he's fine, but he's not that. 

Garland proved to be a play driver.

Unloading his contract to add a player of similar value who might not perform here doesn’t make sense.

Our bottom 6 was a big part of our success. We risk becoming too top heavy if we let him go.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

who do you think would pay more for him? we're looking to add more top tier talent, he's fine, but he's not that. 

He is slippery in the offensive zone which leads to opportunities. I think you try to move Mik first, I don't think it costs a lot to unload him. He's good defensively and had just as many points as PLD last year who is also signed for 8x8 who was moved. Not a direct comparable but PLD is on a terrible contract. I think Utah, SJ, or even Calgary, may be a fit, Mik for a 4th or something. Mik is a bounce back candidate which teams can buy low on and is not signed long term.

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

Seravalli can suck the fattest, saltiest glizzy in town.   
He’s got a lot of guff shit talking the city and its fans, then thinking he should be a Canucks insider 

Also how about being wrong on pretty much every bit of inside information about the Canucks he’s put out there…

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1