[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Also how about being wrong on pretty much every bit of inside information about the Canucks he’s put out there…

It's almost as if he's too stupid to realize that the agents are giving him the high end estimates to sway public opinion.

49 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Garland proved to be a play driver.

Unloading his contract to add a player of similar value who might not perform here doesn’t make sense.

Our bottom 6 was a big part of our success. We risk becoming too top heavy if we let him go.

he had a good year for us, the first one really where he showed so much. If he regresses its back to being a significant overpayment. 

For me it's about cap allocation, there are a lot of guys that can be effective 3rd liners at better prices, there aren't many top line wingers for Petey.

• ThereItIs 2

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

funny, thats what a lot of people said about your takes on Miller. 

Garly is fine, he's not really worth almost 5 mil. 

Depends what you value I guess.  To me, he's one of the guys who plays to his contract

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think Garland is more valuable to us than a 3rd rounder.

I don't disagree on paper, but what about a 3rd rounder plus $5m in cap space you desperately want to reallocate elsewhere?

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Depends what you value I guess.  To me, he's one of the guys who plays to his contract

but look at the guys on similar deals, I bet you pick at least 6 out of this group over him if you could: https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/conor-garland-10654

He's fine, just too expensive. If you can find a more appropriately paid 3rd line guy, and use the residual cap to sign an elite top line winger you do that all day, imho. 

• ThereItIs 2

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but look at the guys on similar deals, I bet you pick at least 6 out of this group over him if you could: https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/conor-garland-10654

He's fine, just too expensive. If you can find a more appropriately paid 3rd line guy, and use the residual cap to sign an elite top line winger you do that all day, imho. 

if it's me, he's my solution to play with petey for this year and then use the cap space in other ways

• ThereItIs 1

I wonder if Garland will be as effective without Bluegar and Joshua? They all brought different elements to the table and worked really well together after their slow starts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I wonder if Garland will be as effective without Bluegar and Joshua? They all brought different elements to the table and worked really well together after their slow starts.

Blueger will be back.

Podz needs to find another level and replace Joshua’s production.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Blueger will be back.

Podz needs to find another level and replace Joshua’s production.

I would rather they signed Bluegar and Joshua. I can't believe how under-valued Joshua is around here.

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I would rather they signed Bluegar and Joshua. I can't believe how under-valued Joshua is around here.

Can’t pay him 4 mil though. That kind of spending for bottom 6 players is how Benning got us into trouble.

He just hasn’t proven enough and you’d have to believe he reaches another level for that to be worth it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t pay him 4 mil though. That kind of spending for bottom 6 players is how Benning got us into trouble.

He just hasn’t proven enough and you’d have to believe he reaches another level for that to be worth it.

We can't pay Petey 12+ and we can't pay Hronek 8+ etc. Assumptions that were proven to be inaccurate.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is my point with Garly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

funny, thats what a lot of people said about your takes on Miller. 

Garly is fine, he's not really worth almost 5 mil. 

Lol Garland is absolutely worth 5 mil, especially with a rising cap.

The guy is so underappreciated by Canucks fans, it's insane.

3 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Lol Garland is absolutely worth 5 mil, especially with a rising cap.

The guy is so underappreciated by Canucks fans, it's insane.

I don't see the under appreciated aspect.  We're at a point where management has to make some tough decisions. Garland would get us more in a trade than other options.

I've seen people suggest retaining salary and adding a pick to get rid of Mikheyev who just came back from knee surgery, which is known to take NHL players a full year to recover from. At least Mikheyev can play a match-up role and on the pk.

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I don't see the under appreciated aspect.  We're at a point where management has to make some tough decisions. Garland would get us more in a trade than other options.

I've seen people suggest retaining salary and adding a pick to get rid of Mikheyev who just came back from knee surgery, which is known to take NHL players a full year to recover from. At least Mikheyev can play a match-up role and on the pk.

Wanting to get rid of him after he set Joshua up for life last season and made him look like a rising star power forward through elite playmaking ability is the definition of underappreciated.

You pay to move Mikheyev before you move Garland for assets. Every day of the week. There were periods where Garland's line was pretty much the entire offense, and most of that was because of Garland.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

You propose running the same team back minus Lindholm. That recipe wasn't good enough to get out of the 2nd round. We need to get better, and better is not paying Dakota 3.75 or Zad 5.55; we need to get more prudent with some of the resigns so we can add talent. The team above is worse than the one we iced a month ago.

Let Dakota walk...

Draw a line in the sand with Zad; offer more years vs $. My guess now is 4.75-5m x 5/6yr OR 5.5-6 3-4yr in FA is his price.

IMHO can't discount internal development and growth now that the defensive system is second nature (hopefully the offense can get more dynamic out of a strong d system). 

Also, if they can bring back a solid team and factor Poolman's salary, it could create a lot of flexibility at the TDL. That would allow them to fill some gaps after observing the team.

3 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Wanting to get rid of him after he set Joshua up for life last season and made him look like a rising star power forward through elite playmaking ability is the definition of underappreciated.

You pay to move Mikheyev before you move Garland for assets. Every day of the week. There were periods where Garland's line was pretty much the entire offense, and most of that was because of Garland.

Sorry but I don't buy that bit. Blueger's defensive acumen caused a lot of havoc as well as Joshua 's physicality. You could just as easily credit Garland's success this season to that. They would both be an assumption.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

Sorry but I don't buy that bit. Blueger's defensive acumen caused a lot of havoc as well as Joshua 's physicality. You could just as easily credit Garland's success this season to that. They would both be an assumption.

I don't disagree that what Blueger and Joshua brought helped, but there is such a thing as driving the play, and Garland was the playdriver on that line, and has consistently driven play wherever he's been played.

You don't trade a playdriver just so you can retain a luxury player at best, warm body at worst in Mikheyev.

The Canucks aren't at a point where they can afford to waste a roster spot hoping a guy who looked absolutely freaking useless for most of the season bounces back.

Just now, Petey O said:

I don't disagree that what Blueger and Joshua brought helped, but there is such a thing as driving the play, and Garland was the playdriver on that line, and has consistently driven play wherever he's been played.

You don't trade a playdriver just so you can retain a luxury player at best, warm body at worst in Mikheyev.

The Canucks aren't at a point where they can afford to waste a roster spot hoping a guy who looked absolutely freaking useless for most of the season bounces back.

So how much are you willing to give up to get rid of Mikheyev?

Also Garland was in that exact same boat last off season. Many here wanted to attach assets to get rid of him. Now apparently, he's indispensable.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, RWMc1 said:

So how much are you willing to give up to get rid of Mikheyev?

Also Garland was in that exact same boat last off season. Many here wanted to attach assets to get rid of him. Now apparently, he's indispensable.

My vote, no assets. Bounce back potential is real.

• Upvote 1