[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

43 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

So how much are you willing to give up to get rid of Mikheyev?

Also Garland was in that exact same boat last off season. Many here wanted to attach assets to get rid of him. Now apparently, he's indispensable.

I'd give e up a first round pick if it means you bring in guentzel

If you don't and we are in contention we'd probably trade our 1st for a rental anyways I.e. Lindholm

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, bh90 said:

Also for Edmonton McDavid, Draisatl, Hyman, RNH and Bouchard beat the Canucks. Their elite offensive talent who we simply could not contain.

I think you’ve spelled Ian Cole wrong there 😝

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I guess the plan is something like this then

Guentzel - Pettersson - Garland/Hoglander

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Podkolzin - Blueger - Garland/Hoglander

Duhaime - Aman - ?

Karlsson/Giuseppe

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Juulsen

Friedman - McWard/Woo

Silovs

Demko

Just over 1 million to find a 4th line winger, I want to sign someone like Brown, but he's probably going to get a good contract after this cup finals performance. 

Edited by J-23
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, tas said:

I don't disagree on paper, but what about a 3rd rounder plus $5m in cap space you desperately want to reallocate elsewhere?

That 5M still needs to be attached to a name, likely acquired via free agency where the over payment risk is higher. I think we would be hard pressed to get more out of 5M from a UFA than what Garland already provides. Say we spent that on Joshua (4+1 left over), I'm not sure Joshua has the same year not playing with Garland.

• Cheers 1

One of my favourite things about Zadorov is apparently he's the guy who picks a lot of the music that they play. Also he's not a dandy when it comes to fashion like other guys who shall not be named..

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

That 5M still needs to be attached to a name, likely acquired via free agency where the over payment risk is higher. I think we would be hard pressed to get more out of 5M from a UFA than what Garland already provides. Say we spent that on Joshua (4+1 left over), I'm not sure Joshua has the same year not playing with Garland.

they wouldn't be offloading him on the hopes of replacing him. they would have a plan in place. and that plan won't be overpaying joshua. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

51 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I guess the plan is something like this then

Guentzel - Pettersson - Garland/Hoglander

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Podkolzin - Blueger - Garland/Hoglander

Duhaime - Aman - ?

Karlsson/Giuseppe

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Juulsen

Friedman - McWard/Woo

Silovs

Demko

Just over 1 million to find a 4th line winger, I want to sign someone like Brown, but he's probably going to get a good contract after this cup finals performance. 

Brett Murray 

18 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

It looks like we can’t do it all this year, given our cap and the OEL money. If we have to choose between D and a winger, I agree we should lock down the best D corp we can afford long-term. Reading the tea leaves out there, it sounds like PA and Zads have already agreed on a number/term and his agent is patiently waiting for cap money to be freed up from a Mik trade, which might never happen. As incredible as it would be to land Guentzel, a top six winger might have to wait till next year and we probably have to dump both Garland and Mik to get there, as well as let DJ walk. . 

The team can be 10% over the cap during the off-season.   So he's waiting for that to start maybe?   Not sure when it is, their off-season starts.    Would assume that happens, as soon as the cup is handed to one of EDM or FLD on Monday.      Also we've got tons of available cap space right now with only a couple league min deals, and Hronek done.    Zadarov's raise isn't that dramatic (1.5?). 

Edited by IBatch

7 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Hogs plays Garland’s minutes. Saves us 4 mil AAV. That is applied toward Geuntzel. 

8 hours ago, Petey O said:

I don't disagree that what Blueger and Joshua brought helped, but there is such a thing as driving the play, and Garland was the playdriver on that line, and has consistently driven play wherever he's been played.

You don't trade a playdriver just so you can retain a luxury player at best, warm body at worst in Mikheyev.

The Canucks aren't at a point where they can afford to waste a roster spot hoping a guy who looked absolutely freaking useless for most of the season bounces back.

Garland struggled earlier in the season finding the net. That changed after X-Mass when he started potting goals. Garland got TOI on the 2PP and did a very good job of dishing the puck. A earlier post suggested Garland on the 2nd line which should be tried IMHO.

8 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

So how much are you willing to give up to get rid of Mikheyev?

Also Garland was in that exact same boat last off season. Many here wanted to attach assets to get rid of him. Now apparently, he's indispensable.

We blow like the wind around here and we aren’t homogenous. 
‘Any good or bad run and half the board is screaming to give a massive raise or run out of town with pitchforks. 
‘The funny thing is this is old tech and we are no longer a bunch of teenagers with capitalization and punctuation issues getting overexcited.  They are on the even more reactionary Xitter and other social media.  More grey hairs on here than anything and we still blow like the wind. 

Last year Mik was solid and Garland had an off year, this year they flipped scripts. This year Mik is recovering from major knee surgery last year Garland had big contractitis. 
Luckily PA is making the decisions, not anyone on this board.  Will be curious how he fits things in. Would be great to get Guentzel and have Garland anchor a third offensive line but that may not be possible. If we can’t unload Mik I would still rather have Guentzel and be able to retain Zads than keep Garland. 
Hate to agree with Alf here but we can always put Hogz back on the bottom 6 and see if he can again be a bottom 6 scorer as we were best when he was providing offence there. 
Besides Garland draws a tonne of penalties and our PP just killed all our momentum in the playoffs. If I could have declined penalties I would have. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Garland struggled earlier in the season finding the net. That changed after X-Mass when he started potting goals. Garland got TOI on the 2PP and did a very good job of dishing the puck. A earlier post suggested Garland on the 2nd line which should be tried IMHO.

Tocchet has coached Garland for several seasons. He knows Garland is a bottom six winger who can’t PK and is a supplemental PP guy. We need speed on our wings. Garlsnd is slow. Hopefully Allvin has a deal worked where he can move all of Garland’s cap. Then he allocates some of that saving to Big Z and JG. 

• ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tocchet has coached Garland for several seasons. He knows Garland is a bottom six winger who can’t PK and is a supplemental PP guy. We need speed on our wings. Garlsnd is slow. Hopefully Allvin has a deal worked where he can move all of Garland’s cap. Then he allocates some of that saving to Big Z and JG. 

Stop trying to make a Garland trade it's not going to happen!

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Stop trying to make a Garland trade it's not going to happen!

If a trade Garland doesn’t happen it’s because he has no value. PA is trying to clear cap. 

Edited by Alflives

10 hours ago, Petey O said:

Lol Garland is absolutely worth 5 mil, especially with a rising cap.

The guy is so underappreciated by Canucks fans, it's insane.

If Garland was a top six wing with speed who could drive back D then yes he’s worth keeping. But he’s not that kind of player. He’s slow and needs possession in the o zone to be effective. He doesn’t PK (too slow) and is limited on the PP (muffin shot and needs possession to be effective). 
PA is trying to clear cap and that means Garland is a guy he’s hoping has positive value so he can clear all five mil. 
We need that cap to bring back Big Z and get JG

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If Garland was a top six wing with speed who could drive back D then yes he’s worth keeping. But he’s not that kind of player. He’s slow and needs possession in the o zone to be effective. He doesn’t PK (too slow) and is limited on the PP (muffin shot and needs possession to be effective). 
PA is trying to clear cap and that means Garland is a guy he’s hoping has positive value so he can clear all five mil. 
We need that cap to bring back Big Z and get JG

People seem upset about the reality of clearing cap. 

The #1 need now is an elite partner for Petey , I think the playoffs made that clear.

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Alf

Nope. Alf is pointing out that Garlsnd played well enough this past season to (hopefully) have positive value so we can clear all his cap. Mik is where Garland was last summer. He has negative value. 
So since Allvin is trying to clear cap Garland is the guy to go. That’s five mil cleared off the AAV. And Hogs can certainly play those minutes. 
Mik will be back and hopefully can rebuild his value like Garland did. 
We need Garland’s money to keep Big Z and hopefully get Geuntzel. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1