[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

image.gif.d1458455cbee7e24d9b1d83baf6a21ef.gif

once he’s shown how to lean into a checker and control his edges   WoW !

.. but hey,  if he just was to score like that every game ,  I’m happy !

lol

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

The team can be 10% over the cap during the off-season.   So he's waiting for that to start maybe?   Not sure when it is, their off-season starts.    Would assume that happens, as soon as the cup is handed to one of EDM or FLD on Monday.      Also we've got tons of available cap space right now with only a couple league min deals, and Hronek done.    Zadarov's raise isn't that dramatic (1.5?). 

If we have 18 million left, about 9 million goes to JG and about 5.25 goes to Zads. There’s really not much left to fill out the roster despite a few expected ELCs. That’s why I think that Milstein and Zads are waiting for Mik to be traded and then they can sign a deal that they have already agreed to. 

2 minutes ago, Billabong said:

seems like a no-brainer to at least consider it as a consolation prize if they miss out on guentzel. doesn't have all the attributes you want, but you know the fit is good. 

4 minutes ago, tas said:

seems like a no-brainer to at least consider it as a consolation prize if they miss out on guentzel. doesn't have all the attributes you want, but you know the fit is good. 

I’d love to get Toffoli back if Guentzel is too $ or doesn’t want to sign in Van.  Although with Toffoli the Canucks top 6 is likely the slowest in the league.

37 minutes ago, Billabong said:

I wonder if “      “ is back on “        ‘s” radar ….

I want this guys job. Give me five minutes and I can come up with a dozen of these scenarios. I’m sure Elliot has at least that many on the back burner ready to be unleashed on the appropriate market.

Sheesh!!

Edited by Zimmyparttwo
  • Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, QuinnNorris said:

I’d love to get Toffoli back if Guentzel is too $ or doesn’t want to sign in Van.  Although with Toffoli the Canucks top 6 is likely the slowest in the league.

yeah that’s the biggest issue with his game now and from I heard it really showed against Colorado in the playoffs 

he can still score but eventually he just won’t be able to get to those scoring areas 

IF the Canucks can move mikheyev, they  have the money for guentzel, toffoli and tanev

Edited by Billabong

30 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

I want this guys job. Give me five minutes and I can come up with a dozen of these scenarios. I’m sure Elliot has at least that many on the back burner ready to be unleashed on the appropriate market.

Sheesh!!

he was in the trenches doing the dirty work for a lot of years to earn his way into a position to get paid handsomely to bullshit about hockey. 

50 minutes ago, tas said:

Do we really know he's a good fit?  He played with the Canucks for all of 10 regular season games... TEN  and then 7 in the playoffs. Yes he scored, but that is not exactly a big sample size. He played more games for New Jersey and Winnipeg just this season than he ever did for the Canucks... and neither team is keeping him. 

I think you have to ask yourself why a guy that seems to score as regularly as he does has played for 6 teams in 4 years. Clearly multiple management groups have decided not to keep him, even with his output. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rmok said:

Do we really know he's a good fit?  He played with the Canucks for all of 10 regular season games... TEN  and then 7 in the playoffs. Yes he scored, but that is not exactly a big sample size. He played more games for New Jersey and Winnipeg just this season than he ever did for the Canucks... and neither team is keeping him. 

I think you have to ask yourself why a guy that seems to score as regularly as he does has played for 6 teams in 4 years. Clearly multiple management groups have decided not to keep him, even with his output. 

he had seamless chemistry with pettersson and fit beautifully into the dressing room. it was been said he wanted to retire a canuck.

edit: and instead of rubbing my chin and wondering hmmmm why he's been on 6 teams and coming up with baseless theories, why don't we go through it from situation to situation? the answers are there. 

Edited by tas

1 minute ago, tas said:

he had seamless chemistry with pettersson and fit beautifully into the dressing room. it was been said he wanted to retire a canuck. 

Again.. 10 games. Kuzmenko and Mikheyev had "seamless chemistry" with Petey for a lot longer than that... how did that work out this season? 

And again.. 6 teams in 4 years.. and nobody wants to keep him? A guy that doesn't make that much and scores pretty consistently wherever he goes.. and nobody reups him with any term, or holds on to him??

3 minutes ago, rmok said:

Again.. 10 games. Kuzmenko and Mikheyev had "seamless chemistry" with Petey for a lot longer than that... how did that work out this season? 

And again.. 6 teams in 4 years.. and nobody wants to keep him? A guy that doesn't make that much and scores pretty consistently wherever he goes.. and nobody reups him with any term, or holds on to him??

go look at each of those teams' individual situations. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I like Toffoli but the Canucks would be better off grabbing someone who's a better skater if possible imo 

Yup, good player. Can certainly score. But the Canucks aren't particularly fast upfront as is. We need more speed than Toffoli provides.

I don't really see him as a fit, consolation prize or otherwise. Stephenson maybe, but not Toffoli.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

go look at each of those teams' individual situations. 

I'll do it for you (I assume I don't need to cover the los angeles and vancouver reasons):

montreal - signed toffoli, he led the team in scoring, they went to the cup finals. next year the team shit the bed and sold him off at the deadline because he was in demand, to:

calgary - acquired toff at the deadline, won their division. he fit in seamlessly and contributed well. they lost in the second round. the following season, he led the team in scoring but there was a player exodus and the team shit the bed. calgary decided to retool, so they traded toffoli, who was in demand, to:

new jersey - who acquired him because they wanted to add some veteran top 6 support to their burgeoning young roster of stars. toffoli produced very well but the team didn't perform up to expectations, so he was sold, in high demand, to:

winnipeg - who acquired him at the deadline to load up for an attempted stanley cup run. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yup, good player. Can certainly score. But the Canucks aren't particularly fast upfront as is. We need more speed than Toffoli provides.

I don't really see him as a fit, consolation prize or otherwise. Stephenson maybe, but not Toffoli.

it would still leave 2 open wings in the top 6 to add speed for transition and forecheck. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

it would still leave 2 open wings in the top 6 to add speed for transition and forecheck. 

So our top 6 is only 2/3 slow then?

Sorry, again, good player but I don't see him as a fit given our current team makeup. 

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So our top 6 is only 2/3 slow then?

Sorry, again, good player but I don't see him as a fit given our current team makeup. 

it's about what they need speed for in the top 6. 

a) to gain the blueline with possession

b) to establish a forecheck on dumps

adding two guys who fit that profile to the group that's already there (plus a hypothetical toffoli) would be more than adequate. 

Edited by tas

1 minute ago, tas said:

it's about what they need speed for in the top 6. 

a) to gain the blueline with possession

b) to establish a forecheck on dumps

adding two guys to the mix who fit that profile to the group that's already there (plus a hypothetical toffoli) would be more than adequate. 

Disagree, especially the way RT likes to coach/play. You need pressure all over the ice fore check, back check, gaining offensive zone, pressuring along boards etc, etc. That requires speed from more than 2 guys, on 2 separate lines.

32 minutes ago, rmok said:

He's got game...pretty good at producing everywhere he's been. The knock on him is he's never been considered a fast player. 

Brock is not a fast player either (he was a little better last season), but you end up with 2 guys in your top 6 aren't going to play with alot of speed. 

What speed Toff has left is only going to diminish as he gets older (I imagine)....it doesn't really fit JR's mantra of building a lineup with speed. 

We have 2 speed demons (McDavid & McKinnon) in the Western conference that feast on slower teams. 

Just my opinion though. 

• Cheers 1

Toffoli-Petey-Mikheyev

Wouldn’t be my first choice, but it might actually work.  All 3 are solid two-way guys and there’s 20-30-30 goal scoring potential. 

Toffoli over Guentzel takes the pressure off of moving Mikheyev and makes it much easier to bring back Zadorov (or Joshua.)   If he’s okay signing a 2-3 year deal around 5 it’s worth thinking about. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Sheesh!!

The Canucks were in on him at the deadline so he’s just connecting the dots.