[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

I too wouldn’t mind seeing Guentzel here , but not more money than JT.

Take Guentzel out of the conversation :

sign Zadorov

then grab Jake Debrusk.   (27yrs 40pts) 

wanted out of Boston 2 years ago.

Fits our style and would possibly do better with this Coach staff under Tochett.

(offer 4m / 4 -5 yrs trade clauses)

perhaps trade Mikheyev full Cap Hit for Debrusks rights this week?

I don’t think Jake wants to be there still and Boston may possibly know this.

and / or - Try the same with Toffoli , 34ys 55pts

i don’t think he will stay in Winnipeg.

(offer 3- 4m / 3yrs trade clauses )

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

sign Zadorov

Fits our style and would possibly do better with this Coach staff under Tochett.

Looking at the likelihood of landing two of DeBrusk, Stephenson, Toffoli vs one big ticket item in Guentzel is worth looking into.

Both Petey and Miller could use LW help (and Toffoli’s right shot would help with Petey.)

We could probably squeeze:

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser

Toffoli-Petey-Mikheyev

Podkolzin-Bleuger-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Duhaime

PDG-Aman

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Dillon-Juulsen

Friedman

The biggest problem there is it doesn’t help the PP too much.  Guentzel could be a difference maker there. 

Miller-Petey-Guentzel-Boeser-Hughes

looks infinitely scarier than any of the 2-for-1 pieces replacing Guentzel IMO.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Canucks were in on him at the deadline so he’s just connecting the dots.

True enough but, maybe it’s just the time of year, there’s endless wondering, opining, connecting the dots etc and I for one find it tiresome.  

As much as I’m a willing participant, my need for reporting that is more substantive is bringing out my frustrations! Just hanging on until the reprieve that will be July 1.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

sign Zadorov

I like the idea of getting Debrusk. Trenin and Kiefer Sherwood are also players I'd look at depending on cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rmok said:

Do we really know he's a good fit?  He played with the Canucks for all of 10 regular season games... TEN  and then 7 in the playoffs. Yes he scored, but that is not exactly a big sample size. He played more games for New Jersey and Winnipeg just this season than he ever did for the Canucks... and neither team is keeping him. 

I think you have to ask yourself why a guy that seems to score as regularly as he does has played for 6 teams in 4 years. Clearly multiple management groups have decided not to keep him, even with his output. 

Well said. There's a reason he's moved around so much. We need to target speed. I'd rather target players like Debrusk, Zucker, and Trenin.

Fact that oilers are going to game 7 of the cup finals makes me think we were better than I thought we were. if we could somehow keep Zad and grab Guentzle we could be a pretty legit team moving forward.  

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Looking at the likelihood of landing two of DeBrusk, Stephenson, Toffoli vs one big ticket item in Guentzel is worth looking into.

Both Petey and Miller could use LW help (and Toffoli’s right shot would help with Petey.)

We could probably squeeze:

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser

Toffoli-Petey-Mikheyev

Podkolzin-Bleuger-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Duhaime

PDG-Aman

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Dillon-Juulsen

Friedman

The biggest problem there is it doesn’t help the PP too much.  Guentzel could be a difference maker there. 

Miller-Petey-Guentzel-Boeser-Hughes

looks infinitely scarier than any of the 2-for-1 pieces replacing Guentzel IMO.

im an absolute Zadorov fan.

nothing scary in this line up.  

Id personally keep Mikheyev off that list and put Zadorov on it .  Then it’s fierce.

15 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

If we sign Zadorov to an extension, I am ordering his jersey right when it's announced.

I feel the same way,.  But I want to wear it for a minimum of 5 years lol !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Fact that oilers are going to game 7 of the cup finals makes me think we were better than I thought we were. if we could somehow keep Zad and grab Guentzle we could be a pretty legit team moving forward.  

our D core and 200 ft game would have beaten them with the addition of Demko and Boeser ( final game, and possibly the game before where he felt the effects of his injury.)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

If we sign Zadorov to an extension, I am ordering his jersey right when it's announced.

Me too. 
I’ve been calling for a player like Zad for years and years.  
I’ll be so fucking choked if we don’t sign him. 

Edited by D.B Cooper
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I HAVE BREAKING NEWS:

Come back tomorrow because,,

image.jpeg.63b1a736544119e1e75e84605a9233a6.jpeg

Also, I'll save you some time..

image.gif.d3f1e022c69fbbd254e76ed0e7b40926.gif

Flip The Bird Middle Finger GIF by The Brothers Grimsby - Find & Share ...

23 hours ago, Canuck You said:

I had 2 middle fingers, I win!....back of the line.

Says your ego.

Sorry about that. This is an inside joke and it was stupid of me to expect you to get it.

Edited by RWMc1

hard pass on debrusk.. EP needs a player that is more of a hybrid that is a dual threat as a passer and shooter like him ie guentzel.. we have seen in the past.. EP is at his best when there's a passer on his line.. ie kuzmenko.. hoglander mikheyev and whatever else we put on his wing that have 0 playmaking ability.. EP once again will struggle.. coz it's simply not going to work.. look at all of EP's season.. no passer? struggles

1 hour ago, tas said:

I'll do it for you (I assume I don't need to cover the los angeles and vancouver reasons):

montreal - signed toffoli, he led the team in scoring, they went to the cup finals. next year the team shit the bed and sold him off at the deadline because he was in demand, to:

calgary - acquired toff at the deadline, won their division. he fit in seamlessly and contributed well. they lost in the second round. the following season, he led the team in scoring but there was a player exodus and the team shit the bed. calgary decided to retool, so they traded toffoli, who was in demand, to:

new jersey - who acquired him because they wanted to add some veteran top 6 support to their burgeoning young roster of stars. toffoli produced very well but the team didn't perform up to expectations, so he was sold, in high demand, to:

winnipeg - who acquired him at the deadline to load up for an attempted stanley cup run. 

So every team that acquired him where competitive.. then shit the bed and lost with him in the line up then sold him off or shipped him out within a year. Cool thanks for expressing in different words what I already wrote. Lets see how the experiment works again with a competitive canucks team. I'm sure it will be totally different than all those other 6 competitive teams that shit the bed with him in the line up and let him go in the last 4 years... including the Canucks.  

3 minutes ago, rmok said:

So every team that acquired him where competitive.. then shit the bed and lost with him in the line up then sold him off or shipped him out within a year. Cool thanks for expressing in different words what I already wrote. Lets see how the experiment works again with a competitive canucks team. I'm sure it will be totally different than all those other 6 competitive teams that shit the bed with him in the line up and let him go in the last 4 years... including the Canucks.  

the teams didn't get bad because of him. he was among each of their best players, which should have been clear from what I wrote. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

the teams didn't get bad because of him. he was among each of their best players, which should have been clear from what I wrote. 

I've never denied he is a consistent producer.. he is. He is also 32, slow, and can't stick with a team, for some reason. 

All the teams he goes to consistently go from good to bad and lose.. and he consistently gets moved along QUICKLY

I'm not interested in him being the best player on the Canucks.. i'm interested in the Canucks being better with a good fit and filling a need. 

Toffoli doesn't seem to actually be a good fit anywhere.. or he wouldn't have been on 6 teams (likely soon to be 7) in 4 calendar years. That ain't normal for a good player that's a "good fit".  Teams don't all just ditch their best players because they had a down year. 

And some people act like he was a great fit in van and like he was one of the boys.... he was here for TEN... T....E....N  games, 4 years ago.. like seriously some people need to cool the jets with the missing part of the crew narrative. 

You agree that 7 teams in 4 calendar years for a 'good' player is rather odd right?