[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 minutes ago, rmok said:

for some reason. 

you keep floating this out like he has a mystery defect. the reason is clear: he makes himself too valuable as a trade asset and the teams he's gone to have unfortunately been in a position where the return assets make more sense for them. 

53 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

im an absolute Zadorov fan.

nothing scary in this line up.  

Id personally keep Mikheyev off that list and put Zadorov on it .  Then it’s fierce.

That’s ideal, sure.  

However, moving Mikheyev is a tall order plus we’ve never seen him with a healthy knee. Maybe he’s damaged goods, maybe he’s prime for a serious bounce back.  It’s just a tough move to make.

Is the jump from Dillon to Zadorov more than DeBrusk over Suter in the top 6? 

That’s the reason the deal hasn’t been done yet IMO.

7 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I was being factious ..You can have the win!

It was obvious to me. Win? We're just having fun while patiently waiting for something to happen.

How do you respectfully reject a man who's asked to hang out with you ...

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Looking at the likelihood of landing two of DeBrusk, Stephenson, Toffoli vs one big ticket item in Guentzel is worth looking into.

Both Petey and Miller could use LW help (and Toffoli’s right shot would help with Petey.)

We could probably squeeze:

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser

Toffoli-Petey-Mikheyev

Podkolzin-Bleuger-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Duhaime

PDG-Aman

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Dillon-Juulsen

Friedman

The biggest problem there is it doesn’t help the PP too much.  Guentzel could be a difference maker there. 

Miller-Petey-Guentzel-Boeser-Hughes

looks infinitely scarier than any of the 2-for-1 pieces replacing Guentzel IMO.

I couldn't agree but I don't like Stephenson.

I'd be after multiple forwards instead of Jake Guentzel.

DeBrusk, Tofolli, Teravainen all options. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Honestly those three are a far greater addition... add zadorov and that is a very deep team

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Duke said:

That’s ideal, sure.  

However, moving Mikheyev is a tall order plus we’ve never seen him with a healthy knee. Maybe he’s damaged goods, maybe he’s prime for a serious bounce back.  It’s just a tough move to make.

Is the jump from Dillon to Zadorov more than DeBrusk over Suter in the top 6? 

That’s the reason the deal hasn’t been done yet IMO.

I think Zadorov is here..  just agreeing to disagree on a year of term or 250 - 500k per year.

I think those numbers are around 5k- 5.5k and 5, 6, or 7 years.

Fair value is there for both parties somewhere.

Dillon I see as a possible Myers replacement .

With what’s left in Cap without trading Mihkey I see one of:

Guentzel

Trading Mihkey I see both of:

Debrusk or Toffoli 

or Guentzel and one of Debrusk or Toffoli.

im liking Debrusks age more than Toffoli,

but Toffoli might come with shorter term.

Mihkey is the piece to move or not.

ee could still ice a good roster with him.

just my thoughts.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, chris12345 said:

Teravainen a good option, too!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tas said:

return assets make more sense for them. 

You just continue to make my point. 

The cap space and roster spot makes more sense used on someone younger, faster and that isn't going to have played on 7 different teams in 4 calendar years for 'reasons'. 

1 minute ago, rmok said:

You just continue to make my point. 

The cap space and roster spot makes more sense used on someone younger, faster and that isn't going to have played on 7 different teams in 4 calendar years for 'reasons'. 

... for teams that aren't in a position to win, yeah. he was moved for futures. players that, in the present, are less effective than toffoli but may one day be better. 

this team is competing now, in the present, not collecting all the shiny little foil wrapped packs of pokemon cards. 

Just now, tas said:

this team is competing now, in the present, 

Ya.. so why spend cap space and a roster spot on an old, slow player that 6 teams in 4 years didn't think was worth keeping to be competitive?

Is NJ in rebuild mode? No, they expect to be good this coming year and compete thats why they just went out and got Markstrom.. and they didn't think Toffoli was worth keeping to be competitive. 

Jets were second in the conference... are they not planning on competing next year... they don't seem all that interested in re-signing him? 

Players that are worth having to be competitive aren't not retained or traded from competitive teams for 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

The only team that kind of fits the story you are trying to spin is Montreal .. but they actually crashed hard as a team and got a decent return for him.

Calgary, NJ, and now WPJ where/are all planning to be competitive directly after him leaving. So were the Canucks for that matter. And all 4 of those teams received very little to nothing to let him go. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rmok said:

Ya.. so why spend cap space and a roster spot on an old, slow player that 6 teams in 4 years didn't think was worth keeping to be competitive?

Is NJ in rebuild mode? No, they expect to be good this coming year and compete thats why they just went out and got Markstrom.. and they didn't think Toffoli was worth keeping to be competitive. 

Jets were second in the conference... are they not planning on competing next year... they don't seem all that interested in re-signing him? 

Players that are worth having to be competitive aren't not retained or traded from competitive teams for 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

The only team that kind of fits the story you are trying to spin is Montreal .. but they actually crashed hard as a team and got a decent return for him.

Calgary, NJ, and now WPJ where/are all planning to be competitive directly after him leaving. So were the Canucks for that matter. And all 4 of those teams received very little to nothing to let him go. 

because as a *consolation prize* he still represents a consistent 25-30+ goals, and teams that are competing now, if they lose out on their primary target, need to prioritize proof over potential with their consolation prizes. 

15 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

That's a steal for the Hurricanes 

The contract would take him to 37 years old. It's probably front loaded and his yearly salary will be more in line with what he's worth.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

"Reading between the lines", I think a framework has been agreed upon. It sounds like they are waiting for other deals to come to fruition or be completed before they hammer out the final details.

On 6/21/2024 at 5:10 PM, D.B Cooper said:

Seravalli can suck the fattest, saltiest glizzy in town.   
He’s got a lot of guff shit talking the city and its fans, then thinking he should be a Canucks insider 

Maybe that's exactly what he enjoys (about the fattest, saltiest...) 🙂 

2 hours ago, chris12345 said:

This Toffoli is too damn slow!

Too-Damn-High.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1