[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

I like the idea of DeBrusk. 20-ish goal guy, 6’1, 200 pounds.  Good wheels.  Decent PK guy with Boston.  Near PPG last two playoffs - and 21 points in his last 27 playoff games.

Doubt he gets more than 5, as his overall points don’t jump off the page.  

Adding some wheels to Miller and Boeser would be a huge upgrade on Suter, who’d still have a ton of value in the bottom 6.

Of the free agents for Petey, I’d still kick the tires on Toffoli.. but maybe there’s something to another right handed old fart in Marchessault. Money starts to run out pretty quick if Mikheyev can’t be moved, though.

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I like the idea of DeBrusk. 20-ish goal guy, 6’1, 200 pounds.  Good wheels.  Decent PK guy with Boston.  Near PPG last two playoffs as well. 

21 points in his last 27 playoff games, too. Doubt he gets more than 5, as his overall points don’t jump off the page.  

Adding some wheels to Miller and Boeser would be a huge upgrade on Suter, who’d still have a ton of value in the bottom 6.

Of the free agents for Petey, I’d still kick the tires on Toffoli.. but maybe there’s something to another right handed old fart in Marchessault. Money starts to run out pretty quick if Mikheyev can’t be moved, though.

The cap projections have Debrusk at $5,800,000.

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

It doesn’t feel like all that long ago that Debrusk requested a trade and was being shopped as a bit of a late bloomer former first rounder. Good for him for sticking with it! 

53 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Yeah, so it seems. Fuck that. 

I guess that’s why Allvin is looking at giving Guentzel his 9 or whatever. Or we pony up for Lindholm before paying that much.

Edited by The Duke
  • Huggy Bear 1

22 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Yeah, so it seems. Fuck that. 

I guess that’s why Allvin is looking at giving Guentzel his 9 or whatever. Or we pony up for Lindholm before paying that much.

Ya a lot of middle 6 wingers are going to get very good money.

I think Debrusk is going to Calgary.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

I’ve decided to abide this TBA to look for our next back up goalie in 1 or 2 seasons ..

lol .

but hey !?

A8CF957A-1545-48B7-923D-F24C2D00114E.thumb.png.44c8b958c3c6572d77e4a97a8ee3b558.png

Oh man. My favorite goalie from that era and Canada has not produce another goalie even close to him since.  Always wanted him on the team and would LOVE if he was down to come off the bench behind Demko.  The Price is Right!

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

They get those predictions like this ...

chong-smokingpipe.gif

I hope so.  Guys often sign for less, but they could still see offers like that from non-contending teams. 

It’s fun to throw names around, but at the end of the day we need guys who are willing to leave a year of term or about 500k on the table because they want to come to Vancouver. It won’t be a huge discount or anything, but those little savings can add up in a hurry.

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1

Joshua at anything in the mid 3s starts to look pretty good as well.  I know there’s some rumours about him around 4.

Getting the band back together on the “3rd line” OR looking at pushing him and Garland up the lineup is something to think about.  Not super exciting, but could make sense.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

I hope so.  Guys often sign for less, but they could still see offers like that from non-contending teams. 

It’s fun to throw names around, but at the end of the day we need guys who are willing to leave a year of term or about 500k on the table because they want to come to Vancouver. It won’t be a huge discount or anything, but those little savings can add up in a hurry.

650 saying that both Big Z and DJ are willing to wait beyond July first to see if the Canucks can fit them in. So it sounds like there is good communication between the club and both players. Likely we have made our best offers and the two players will see July 1 what is out there. Then they will check back with us and see if our offer is good enough or needs a bump. Love to keep both these two big boppers. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Joshua at anything in the mid 3s starts to look pretty good as well.  I know there’s some rumours about him around 4.

Getting the band back together on the “3rd line” OR looking at pushing him and Garland up the lineup is something to think about.  Not super exciting, but could make sense.

They need to not be lured in by exciting, imo.  They need to be boring and logical in this off season.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

650 saying that both Big Z and DJ are willing to wait beyond July first to see if the Canucks can fit them in. So it sounds like there is good communication between the club and both players. Likely we have made our best offers and the two players will see July 1 what is out there. Then they will check back with us and see if our offer is good enough or needs a bump. Love to keep both these two big boppers. 

That’s awesome. Allvin, Castonguay and crew seem really proactive.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, The Duke said:

That’s awesome. Allvin, Castonguay and crew seem really proactive.

Until 12:05 when a team offers them a big contract and says we need an answer by the end of the day

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Until 12:05 when a team offers them a big contract and says we need an answer by the end of the day

Exactly. It’s a job. If some place across the highway offered me $185,000 to do the same thing I’m doing now… I’d jump at that 12% pay raise and head over there instantly. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

As is there right as UFAs. Not all players would give the courtesy of circling back to see if it can be matched. It’s not a face tattoo of our initials, but it’s something. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

They need to not be lured in by exciting, imo.  They need to be boring and logical in this off season.

I agree for the most part, but I do think they need to try and find a legitimate top 6 winger to play on Petey’s line.

Doesn’t have to be Guentzel.  But looks like anyone who fits the bill is coming in at 5-6 mil minimum. 

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

That courtesy call is, at least, likely more than we got when Tanev and Toffoli skipped town last time. 

• ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I know. I'm just kidding with the gif above.

We do need that indeed. I'm glad we finally have a fair-minded management group that has made that publicly clear. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's called give and take. Something people lose sight of when they're too "concerned". We do have a fair-minded management group and that fairness goes both ways. It's nice to see actually.

• ThereItIs 1