[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

It’ll be tight, but we can probably bring back Zadorov, Myers, Joshua and Bleuger with a few mil left over. The 2011 group was built with a lot of “loyalty” contracts - not huge discounts per se, (besides Burrows) but fair deals without overextending in UFA too much. 

If Mikheyev goes with light retention, a buyout, whatever… we probably have enough for a non-Guentzel Petey winger if we let our current depth sort out the #6 D situation. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's called give and take. Something people lose sight of when they're too "concerned". We do have a fair-minded management group and that fairness goes both ways. It's nice to see actually.

Unlike Benning (the moran) this management stays in contact with their players. They run a class organization who treat the players respectfully. Big Z and DJ might very well get huge offers from another club. Good for them. But they are willing to keep talking and come back to us because this is the city they want to live in. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

It’ll be tight, but we can probably bring back Zadorov, Myers, Joshua and Bleuger with a few mil left over. The 2011 group was built with a lot of “loyalty” contracts - not huge discounts per se, (besides Burrows) but fair deals without overextending in UFA too much. 

If Mikheyev goes with light retention, a buyout, whatever… we probably have enough for a non-Guentzel Petey winger if we let our current depth sort out the #6 D situation. 

Trading Garland for cap creates five mil. Do something to clear Mik and we have plenty of space. But likely we only move off Garland, because (fingers crossed) he has built up his value to positive now. Then it’s likely we get Geuntzel, Big Z, Myers, Blueger. Not too sure we would go the rumoured 4 mil AAV DJ might get. 

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Unlike Benning (the moran) this management stays in contact with their players. They run a class organization who treat the players respectfully. Big Z and DJ might very well get huge offers from another club. Good for them. But they are willing to keep talking and come back to us because this is the city they want to live in. 

If you want to call someone a moron, a good first step is spelling it correctly. 😜

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If another team throws the bag at Zadorov or Joshua they’re gone, simple as that.  And good for them.  But if it’s close, maybe they leave a little on the table for trade protection, etc with us. 

My highest number on Zadorov is still around 4.85 x 6 OR  5.25 x 5

and I’d go as high as 3.75 mil x 4 for Joshua OR 4 x 3.

I think I’d prefer the less term option for both, though.  Maybe they would, too, with the cap predicted to keep going up. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The players have apparently also got into the mix. A lot like the NBA players have been talking to each other to stay / take discounts. They’re working together now because they believe in each other. Apparently Hughes has been active that way.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

I agree for the most part, but I do think they need to try and find a legitimate top 6 winger to play on Petey’s line.

Doesn’t have to be Guentzel.  But looks like anyone who fits the bill is coming in at 5-6 mil minimum. 

I agree and, imo, I think they need two top 6(ish) wingers, especially if they're putting Suter as 3C.

As I said, toffoli on the top of my rw list Terravainen would be at the top of my list for lw.

That said, you could also put garland on Petey's right and Joshua on milers left and rebuild your third line around suter.  You'd have podz on the left, so you'd only need a 3C, which is a lot less than a top 6 winger.....,..probably leaving you room for Zad.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

Joshua Miller Boeser

Hogz Petey Garland

Podz Suter ________

PDG Aman Mik

Karlsson

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Zad Juuls 

Friedman 

Demko

Silovs

You run with that, to start, and hope Mik restores his value before Xmas.  If so, you move him out and get cap space to weaponize for a good deal as the years goes on.  If, at that point, one of garland or Joshua isn't working out in the top 6, you can then go out and a find the player you want, ala hronek style.

Like it or not, signing Hronek means they're going to have to be conservative everywhere else and bringing back the same lineup isn't bad, imo........that was a great team with great chemistry

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

If another team throws the bag at Zadorov or Joshua they’re gone, simple as that.  And good for them.  But if it’s close, maybe they leave a little on the table for trade protection, etc with us. 

My highest number on Zadorov is still around 4.85 x 6 OR  5.25 x 5

and I’d go as high as 3.75 mil x 4 for Joshua OR 4 x 3.

I think I’d prefer the less term option for both, though.  Maybe they would, too, with the cap predicted to keep going up. 

If I had to choose between getting 5 million a year and live in Vancouver versus getting 6 million per year and live in Edmonton, Winnipeg, St. Louis, Ohio, Texas, and many other places, I’d take the lower amount and be happy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

If I had to choose between getting 5 million a year and live in Vancouver versus getting 6 million per year and live in Edmonton, Winnipeg, St. Louis, Ohio, Texas, and many other places, I’d take the lower amount and be happy. 

That’s 5 million over 5 seasons that’s a lot of dough…. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

For the players I doubt it affects them much 

they sleep, eat, nap, practice, game, repeat.

They don’t have much of a social life in season 

however, for their wives and kids, assuming they have… it certainly does affect them 

And as the saying goes 

happy wife, happy life 

not sure how many hockey wives want to live in -20 weather in Edmonton or Winnipeg and have to cart their kids around

it would be hell 

Edited by ArmchairGM22
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

If we trade Mikheyev full pop, we’d have $23 million to sign 7 guys. Zadorov, Myers, Joshua and Blueger would be around $14 million. Lekkerimäki is another $950k. Brandon Duhaime is maybe $1.5 million. A 7/8 Dman is $1 million. 

That would leave us with around $6 million to sign a top 6 forward. So we can bring everyone back and get a $6 million top 6 forward or we can sign Guentzel at $9.5 million and forget about Joshua. 

Personally, I’d rather bring Joshua back and keep the 3rd line intact and go after a $6 million winger. 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Joshua Miller Boeser

Hogz Petey Garland

Podz Suter ________

PDG Aman Mik

Karlsson

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Zad Juuls 

Friedman 

Demko

Silovs

You run with that, to start, and hope Mik restores his value before Xmas.  If so, you move him out and get cap space to weaponize for a good deal as the years goes on.  If, at that point, one of garland or Joshua isn't working out in the top 6, you can then go out and a find the player you want, ala hronek style.

Like it or not, signing Hronek means they're going to have to be conservative everywhere else and bringing back the same lineup isn't bad, imo........that was a great team with great chemistry

I would like to see them try this while fitting Poolman's salary in to start the season so the can accrue LTIR space for the TDL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I would like to see them try this while fitting Poolman's salary in to start the season so the can accrue LTIR space for the TDL

I'm still hoping that he's fitted into a trade and we get rid of his LTIR entirely.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Any ltir, this year, is nullified by OEL's buyout penalty........their almost exactly the same 

They have 16m left to spend I believe

Its WAY to quiet on the Zadorov front........ then again, I thought the same thing with Hronek, and that got done quietly and quickly. I'm wondering if the same thing is happening here.

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we trade Mikheyev full pop, we’d have $23 million to sign 7 guys. Zadorov, Myers, Joshua and Blueger would be around $14 million. Lekkerimäki is another $950k. Brandon Duhaime is maybe $1.5 million. A 7/8 Dman is $1 million. 

That would leave us with around $6 million to sign a top 6 forward. So we can bring everyone back and get a $6 million top 6 forward or we can sign Guentzel at $9.5 million and forget about Joshua. 

Personally, I’d rather bring Joshua back and keep the 3rd line intact and go after a $6 million winger. 

That’s about where I’m at, as well.

Kind of strange after all the fun of poking around UFA that keeping the band together is a seriously enticing option. 

The Mikheyev situation is the one to keep an eye on - it opens up the opportunity to keep the in-house value while still making a legitimate splash and freshness to the top 6.  But it’ll be costly against a real chance of him recouping value next year.

Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, Raty, Bains and Sasson are all different levels of intriguing but no sure bets to move the needle next year, especially in the top 9.  Even Hoglander is tough to pencil in given his shaky relationship with Tocchet - though we certainly need him at the price point.

Same with D-Petey, McWard and Willander on the back end.

I see where Stawns is coming from preaching a bit of patience if the prices are high on July 1.  We likely have a middle 6 piece or two in-house but it’s hard to tell who and when they’ll be ready.  

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

not sure how many hockey wives want to live in -20 weather in Edmonton or Winnipeg and have to cart their kids around

it would be hell 

When you have 6/7/8 figures in the bank account I don’t think any woman cares. They can buy whatever, go travel while men are playing hockey and have help with kids…

not that bad of a sacrifice short term over the length of a persons life!