[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

Just now, Viking said:

When you have 6/7/8 figures in the bank account I don’t think any woman cares. They can buy whatever, go travel while men are playing hockey and have help with kids…

not that bad of a sacrifice short term over the length of a persons life!

Well if you have a choice? Dude I’ve been in Winnipeg in the winter at -30 for a day. It sucked like nothing I’ve ever experienced 

• ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

“bringing back the same lineup isn't bad, imo........that was a great team with great chemistry”

Can’t do that. They all want a raise. No way Lindholm is back.

It would be sans Lindholm, for sure.  Sounds like he also wants top 6 opportunities so it’s not even all about the money.  

But we could very likely bring back:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

Joshua-Bleuger-Garland

Duhaime-Aman-Podkolzin

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Juulsen

Friedman

With a few bucks left over for a rainy day.

And there’s opportunity for Lekkerimaki, Raty, D-Petey, etc to get some playing time as the year goes on.  

Maybe Mikheyev bounces back like Garland / Boeser and we keep him… or we move him with assets to upgrade if necessary.

I doubt any of the guys we bring back will be anchor contracts (maaaybe Zadorov depending on term.)

It’s a safe bet to get back to the playoffs.. but as Torts once said, “Safe is Death.” 

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

No matter what else they end up doing, the two things I think have to happen is Locking up Zadorov and relieving the team of Mikheyev.

Certainly there's more, and some of it may surprise, but our core is good, keep it for the most part.

One of the hardest decisions will be Boeser when the time comes. I'm hoping Boes will sigh an extention, but why should he. Loves the team?

Yah, maybe.

For what it's worth, I don't see too much from the minors yet, it will take some time. Doubt Bains is really ready. Doubt Podkolzin will knock it out of the park

with Vancouver. Now Lekkerimaki is someone who could advance to the NHL sooner then later.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Horrible top 6

To be fair, we started last year with:

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Petey-Mikheyev 

and ripped the league apart, even with Kuz struggling.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 3

Pay what it costs to move mik, bring back Zad and sign Guentzle. We just took the likely Stanley cup champions (🤮) to game 7 with a backup goalie. Time to get aggressive. 

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Its WAY to quiet on the Zadorov front........ then again, I thought the same thing with Hronek, and that got done quietly and quickly. I'm wondering if the same thing is happening here.

I think the deal is pencilled in, waiting for cap space to ink it (Mik’s salary), then see whats left forJG.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Duke said:

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Petey-Mikheyev 

The start of the season is other hockey than the teams playing from january till the end of the season.

On 6/22/2024 at 1:45 PM, SilentSam said:

I too wouldn’t mind seeing Guentzel here , but not more money than JT.

Take Guentzel out of the conversation :

sign Zadorov

then grab Jake Debrusk.   (27yrs 40pts) 

wanted out of Boston 2 years ago.

Fits our style and would possibly do better with this Coach staff under Tochett.

(offer 4m / 4 -5 yrs trade clauses)

perhaps trade Mikheyev full Cap Hit for Debrusks rights this week?

I don’t think Jake wants to be there still and Boston may possibly know this.

and / or - Try the same with Toffoli , 34ys 55pts

i don’t think he will stay in Winnipeg.

(offer 3- 4m / 3yrs trade clauses )

Rumor has it DeBrusk is holding out for 6+

17 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I think the deal is pencilled in, waiting for cap space to ink it (Mik’s salary), then see whats left forJG.

Maybe. I could see Mikheyev being moved at the draft. 

25 minutes ago, The Duke said:

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Petey-Mikheyev 

Of all the uses of "to be fair" I've seen on here ... and there are many each week ... this is indeed a great point and more than fair. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Pay what it costs to move mik, bring back Zad and sign Guentzle. We just took the likely Stanley cup champions (🤮) to game 7 with a backup goalie. Time to get aggressive. 

Also shut down McDavid better than the rest of the teams

• ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Also shut down McDavid better than the rest of the teams

I think Lindy had something to do with that. I would have actually preferred keeping him over signing JG but I think that ship has sailed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dizzle said:

I think Lindy had something to do with that. I would have actually preferred keeping him over signing JG but I think that ship has sailed. 

Shutting down McDavid can’t be the only goal, we need some actual offensive punch. We didn’t have nearly enough that series.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Any ltir, this year, is nullified by OEL's buyout penalty........their almost exactly the same 

They have 16m left to spend I believe

I don't the the technical specifics but if Poolman's cap hit fits into their opening day roster (sure someone can describe it better), they will be able accrue LTIR space during the season, allowing for more space to acquire players at the TDL. OEL's buyout is just on the books unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Shutting down McDavid can’t be the only goal, we need some actual offensive punch. We didn’t have nearly enough that series.

Yeah, and the Oilers are so chaotic they’re a tough measuring stick. 6 games decided by 1 goal and we didn’t have Demko.  Hard not to think we win if he’s healthy - but really who knows because the Oilers defy logic with how bad and good they look minute to minute.

• ThereItIs 1

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You’re definitely not wrong… but Lindy was also a pretty strong contributor in that series offensively. I love centre depth. Nothing wrong with JG for the right price though.