[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

55 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I don't the the technical specifics but if Poolman's cap hit fits into their opening day roster (sure someone can describe it better), they will be able accrue LTIR space during the season, allowing for more space to acquire players at the TDL. OEL's buyout is just on the books unfortunately.

Yes, but their ltir space is $2.5m and OEL's penalty is $2.4..........so it's like having no ltir

2 hours ago, German Canuck said:

Horrible top 6

I disagree, Garland is a remarkably consistent scorer who puts up 50 points a year on the third line.........I'm betting he's good for 15-20 more than that on Petey's line.

Joshua, hard to say, but that's be a tough line to play against......... Miller the driver/retriever, Boeser the shooter and DJ the garbage clean up 

Most importantly, it leaves money for other areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, German Canuck said:

Horrible top 6

ya ppl seem to want quantity of average player over low quantity of quality players for some reason.. i mean if we trot out a line up where we have no stars and everyone is making exact same cap hit you think we'll win a cup? i don't think we even make the playoff

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I disagree, Garland is a remarkably consistent scorer who puts up 50 points a year on the third line.........I'm betting he's good for 15-20 more than that on Petey's line.

Joshua, hard to say, but that's be a tough line to play against......... Miller the driver/retriever, Boeser the shooter and DJ the garbage clean up 

70 point Garly? if he had that potential, why hasn't it been used more?

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

70 point Garly? if he had that potential, why hasn't it been used more?

Well, his last 4 years in van

39 points in 49 games

52 pointd

47 points

46 points

Pretty much in third line duty.  Is it out of the realm of possibility he gets 15-20 points over the course of a season?  That's like an extra point every 4 games.

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

dunno, can he produce like this against harder matchups? 

It's been tried over the years a lot. He hasn't really been able to hold down any top 6 opportunity he has been granted

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

dunno, can he produce like this against harder matchups? 

And that’s it with Garland. He’s a very good third line player. If he was a top six guy Tocchet would use him in that role. 
IMHAO that’s why it’s been so hard for PA to trade Garland. Other teams see him exactly like we do; a third line winger. We need a Benning like GM who thinks Garland is a top six player. You know. A moran. 

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Agreed. He has shown no chemistry with Petey or Miller. 

Disagree, he was great with miller.  The problem is BB not RT never left him there long enough to develop chemistry.  It takes time to learn how to play with players, especially Petey.

Garland might have the best hockey IQ on the team in that context.........he'd figure petey out pretty quick, imo.

I think too many people are mesmerized by the shiny trinket on the market and not looking at deeper issues

• ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, HKSR said:

He's not gonna get over $5M.  I dunno how they get those kinda projections lol

He is for sure getting over 5 million at least.

Just now, J-23 said:

He is for sure getting over 5 million at least.

I'll wager you on it.  He is coming off a 40 point season.  If that's worth $5M+, then Dakota Joshua will be getting close to $5M.  There's no logic to that.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And that’s it with Garland. He’s a very good third line player. If he was a top six guy Tocchet would use him in that role. 
IMHAO that’s why it’s been so hard for PA to trade Garland. Other teams see him exactly like we do; a third line winger. We need a Benning like GM who thinks Garland is a top six player. You know. A moran. 

Tocchet is a depth coach and felt garland was more of a play driver than boeser or mikheyev hence he was moved down to drive the 3rd and did heck of a job doing it, imagine if he was feeding miller and petey with his insane puck retrieval rate, he’s never had an extended look with the top 6 and I agree with Stawns he has potential to be around a 70 point guy in the top 6 and power play time 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Disagree, he was great with miller.  The problem is BB not RT never left him there long enough to develop chemistry.  It takes time to learn how to play with players, especially Petey.

Garland might have the best hockey IQ on the team in that context.........he'd figure petey out pretty quick, imo.

I think too many people are mesmerized by the shiny trinket on the market and not looking at deeper issues

Well, if we buy our Mik, maybe we get both.

5 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Tocchet is a depth coach and felt garland was more of a play driver than boeser or mikheyev hence he was moved down to drive the 3rd and did heck of a job doing it, imagine if he was feeding miller and petey with his insane puck retrieval rate, he’s never had an extended look with the top 6 and I agree with Stawns he has potential to be around a 70 point guy in the top 6 and power play time 

Like others have said it’s been tried but hasn’t worked. Why would it be any different now?

I like Garland he’s one of my favourite players on the team, but this seems like a major reach.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

This thread sure gets into non-Zadorov talk.

On that note, a hypothetical question: if we could have had Tanev for Pettersson (the defenseman) and a second rounder to Calgary, and having Tanev would have been enough to put us in the finals, would you have made that trade?

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'll wager you on it.  He is coming off a 40 point season.  If that's worth $5M+, then Dakota Joshua will be getting close to $5M.  There's no logic to that.

This is going to be the new standard now with the cap increasing.

7 minutes ago, J-23 said:

This is going to be the new standard now with the cap increasing.

It's gone up 5% since last year.  That's not equivalent to jumping from $4M to $5M.  That would be a 25% increase.

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

Garland is a 3rd liner who gets points off of the other team’s bottom 6. He can drive the play on the 3rd line so that’s where he belongs. 

He absolutely is not a top 6 player. Only if injuries occur. He’s never played 18-19 minutes a night against top competition and won’t be as effective. Plus he has zero chemistry with Petey or Miller. 

• ThereItIs 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Garland is only effective as his own play driver on the 3rd line. He’s not effective playing with other play drivers like Miller and Petey. Plus, Miller already has his winger in Boeser. And we have Lekkerimäki coming to play with Petey. So the right side is full. Also, Garland doesn’t get enough PP1 time to ever get 70 points. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Garland is a 3rd liner who gets points off of the other team’s bottom 6. He can drive the play on the 3rd line so that’s where he belongs. 

He absolutely is not a top 6 player. Only if injuries occur. He’s never played 18-19 minutes a night against top competition and won’t be as effective. Plus he has zero chemistry with Petey or Miller. 

Well said. Love what Gar brings but the Canucks need better in the top six to move on. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1