[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yes, but their ltir space is $2.5m and OEL's penalty is $2.4..........so it's like having no ltir

The OEL cap hit is factored in no matter what. If they get Poolman in the opening roster, they open up the LTIR pool. The closer they are to the cap ceiling, the more cap flexibility they can potentially accrue during the year and at the TDL - irregardless of the OEL cap hit.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

dunno, can he produce like this against harder matchups? 

i'll say no i didn't look up the stats this year.. but his first 2 years a lot of his points came against the non playoff teams and he went on a streak during garbage time that bumped up his stats to make it looks like he had a decent season in reality didn't really do much to help the team.. that's why management wanted to move him.. he is a negative fit in the top 6.. he's great as a 3rd line player.. but he had shown 0 chemistry with Miller or EP whenever they tested him there. great hard working little guy.. but paid too much and unable to do it in a top 6 role against tougher competition

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

45 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Well said. Love what Gar brings but the Canucks need better in the top six to move on. 

And that's fine if it doesn't work out.  If the can restore miks value and move him before Xmas, they can make a deal 

But, the reality is they can't really sign a significant top 6 fwd, especially JG, without seriously depleting other areas.......so why not shore those up now and the top 6 at a later time?  And, at least you know what you're getting with Garland and Joshua......you know they fit

Keep in mind they have OEL's $5m penalty and a Boeser and Hogz extension next year.......a high priced fwd on a long deal is going to make that tough.

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Getting back to Big Z. 😀

I look at how we dealt with the Oilers and how the Panthers are fairing right now. We had the size and intimidation factor to keep them in check. The Panthers are not able to contain them and will lose the series if they cannot find it for the next game. 

Although we didn't have Demko, we didn't lose because of our defensive game, we lost because some were not playing to their potential in the offense department of which Petey was the front runner with that. 

If we had Demko and Petey, Suter or Mikheyev etc. provided some contribution, we would be in the final right now. 

We should be looking at how Vegas built their championship team, they built the foundation and then added the offense(Stone,Eichel).

Big Z is defintely a foundation piece and should be priority #1. 

Guentzel or some other high priced UFA would be nice but we need to get our house in order first.

Joshua is a key component too but might be a little easier to replace at a lower cost if need be. 

In my opinion, we had 2 issues that cost us. Demko was obviously a huge one but the other was Petey playing with a winger that belonged in the ECHL. Petey looked off most of the playoffs but he set up Mik and Hogs over and over and neither one could do anything. And not just in the playoffs, from the all-star break on, he kept doing it only to have the play die as soon as Mik touched the puck. If any if Petey's winger were playing like top 6 guys, Petey would've had another 15 or so assists in the regular season and 5 to 10 in the playoffs.

There was a play early in game 7 where Miller and Petey kept the play alive and fed Mik right front of the net and Mik couldn't do anything with it. When the camera showed Petey and Miller right after that they both looked frustrated. 

That said, and back on topic, I absolutely want to see big Z back. I think he brings a lot more than just his on-ice play to the team. I'd be perfectly fine with 5.25 x 5 if that would get it done.

Edited by zduck14
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

In my opinion, we had 2 issues that cost us. Demko was obviously a huge one but the other was Petey playing with a winger that belonged in the ECHL. Petey looked off most of the playoffs but he set up Mik and Hogs over and over and neither one could do anything. And not just in the playoffs, from the all-star break on, he kept doing it only to have the play die as soon as Mik touched the puck. If any if Petey's winger were playing like top 6 guys, Petey would've had another 15 or so assists in the regular season and 5 to 10 in the playoffs.

There was a play early in game 7 where Miller fed Mik right front of the net and Mik couldn't do anything with it. When the camera showed Petey and Miller right after that they both looked frustrated. 

That said, and back on topic, I absolutely want to see big Z back. I think he brings a lot more than just his on-ice play to the team. I'd be perfectly fine with 5.25 x 5 if that would get it done.

I don't know which games you were watching but Petey was playing very apprehensive in the playoffs. He played like the puck was a hot potato. He did get better as they went on and was a little better in the last couple of games. He is one of those players that don't do well with tighter, physical checking. Can't really fault him too much he doesn't have the physicality for it. 

I think with this tighter checking, his ego took a little beting as well because he was less effective. Don't forget , he still played on the PP so the line mate theory doesn't hold water. Remember the big gaping empty net he missed in the playoffs on the PP? 

I would pay him what ever he wants as I think he is a smart guy and isn't asking for anyomore then he is worth. He even said he would take less to stay, and in my mind thats a plus in itself.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Petey’s game dropped off when Kuzmenko was traded. They had chemistry that EP has never had on this team.

I’ve been debating in my head if we would have went further if in the trade for Lindholm we attached Mikheyev as the salary dump and kept Kuzmenko for his offensive production!

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't know which games you were watching but Petey was playing very apprehensive in the playoffs. He played like the puck was a hot potato. He did get better as they went on and was a little better in the last couple of games. He is one of those players that don't do well with tighter, physical checking. Can't really fault him too much he doesn't have the physicality for it. 

I think with this tighter checking, his ego took a little beting as well because he was less effective. Don't forget , he still played on the PP so the line mate theory doesn't hold water. Remember the big gaping empty net he missed in the playoffs on the PP? 

I would pay him what ever he wants as I think he is a smart guy and isn't asking for anyomore then he is worth. He even said he would take less to stay, and in my mind thats a plus in itself.

I agree to a point. I don't mean to excuse Petey entirely and agree he needed to be better. Going forward, I think these playoffs were a huge eye opener for him and he'll learn from it.

That said, Mik scored 1 goal in his last 61 games playing mostly with Petey..... absolutely brutal.

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

And that's fine if it doesn't work out.  If the can restore miks value and move him before Xmas, they can make a deal 

But, the reality is they can't really sign a significant top 6 fwd, especially JG, without seriously depleting other areas.......so why not shore those up now and the top 6 at a later time?  And, at least you know what you're getting with Garland and Joshua......you know they fit

Keep in mind they have OEL's $5m penalty and a Boeser and Hogz extension next year.......a high priced fwd on a long deal is going to make that tough.

Really gotta hope they find a way to move Mik. I think it all starts there, but ugh. Not hopeful. If they have to start the season with Garland top six, so be it. Just think they gotta find a way, and then keep Gar third line. He will make whoever plays there tick. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

Shore up at a later time? As in another season later? So what if boeser comes back to earth it’s very possible his first half and 2nd half was a huge difference. What if hoglander continue to be invisible? But that’s ok we can wait another year so miller is another year closer to his decline?

8 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’ve been debating in my head if we would have went further if in the trade for Lindholm we attached Mikheyev as the salary dump and kept Kuzmenko for his offensive production!

Who have you been debating in your head with?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

Ok, say we do shore up the D instead of going for JG. Who do you go for after? It's not like there's a huge amount of good scoring forwards available. Teams like to keep them

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Shore up at a later time? As in another season later? So what if boeser comes back to earth it’s very possible his first half and 2nd half was a huge difference. What if hoglander continue to be invisible? But that’s ok we can wait another year so miller is another year closer to his decline?

Well, where we probably disagree on the timeline.......id say they're probably 2-3 years from truly being in that upper echelon from teams and a move for a 30 year old winger that prevents them from properly balancing their roster is a desperation move, imo 

It's possible that everything goes right and they get to that upper tier of contenders for a couple years and they have a window to actually win it all..........if they don't, they probably fall back down into the Canes realm and start a long decline because they're aging and ard top heavy on the cap and cant properly support the high flyers 

Or, the high priced winger doesn't work out, they can't afford depth players of any quality, they lose Boeser, demko leaves and they're back trying to rebuild, but they can't do it properly because no one wants high priced, aging assets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

We would have to have added OEL’s cap penalty and Poolman’s LTIR for it to really be worth it to Calgary 

18.55 in cap space with ltir 

JG 9

Myers 2.5x 3

bluegger 1.75x 4

silovs .950 x 2 one way 

Zads 4.35x7

that’s all the cap 

milky + woo+ klimovich to CHI for future considerations 

= + 4.75

- bump Zads up to 4.5x 7

= -.15

Joshua 3.5x 6

Brett Murray .750

= .350 in cap 

Just now, canucks curse said:

JG 9

Myers 2.5x 3

bluegger 1.75x 4

silovs .950 x 2 one way 

Zads 4.35x7

that’s all the cap 

= + 4.75

- bump Zads up to 4.5x 7

= -.15

Joshua 3.5x 6

Brett Murray .750

= .350 in cap 

JG Petey Hogz 

Suter Miller Brock 

Joshua Bluegger Garland 

Podz Aman Murray 

PDG 

Hughes Hronek 

Zads Myers 

Soucy Juulsen 

I think Mikeyev will be traded soon to San Jose or Chicago, and shortly thereafter Zadorov will be signed to a massive deal that’ll keeps him in Vancouver for the rest of his career that works for both team and player. Good times ahead. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya ppl seem to want quantity of average player over low quantity of quality players for some reason.. i mean if we trot out a line up where we have no stars and everyone is making exact same cap hit you think we'll win a cup? i don't think we even make the playoff

That would be a fun exercise. I bet you could build a pretty schweet roster with everyone making 3-5m 

• Haha 1

18.55 in cap per cap friendly with LTIR

JG - 9

Myers -2.5

Silovs - .850

Bluegger 1.75

Zads 4.75 x 6

and that's all your cap

Milky out = + 4.75

Joshua 3 x 6yrs ( is more than DET 4x4)

Brett Murray .750

Duhaime 1.0 x 3 years 

15 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

JG 9

Myers 2.5x 3

bluegger 1.75x 4

silovs .950 x 2 one way 

Zads 4.35x7

that’s all the cap 

= + 4.75

- bump Zads up to 4.5x 7

= -.15

Joshua 3.5x 6

Brett Murray .750

= .350 in cap 

Don't forget $2.4m for OEL

And there's no way you're getting any of those guys at that price, aside from maybe  DJ