[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

With DeMelo locked in, lets hope Zad's camp comes way down on their ask. His playoffs was great, but he's not on DeMelo's level, plus he doesn't get the right handed tax. Dude has legit played on the top pair for Winnipeg and Zads is more of a 4/5 guy. Come on. 4.25-4.75mil for 6 years.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I agree that he might try to force it. With Miller's age and Demko's compounding injuries we realistically have a 4 year window. Or depending on Demko's and Hughes' upcoming contract negotiations it might just be the next 2 or 3 years. That is unless we can find a replacement starter and the cap rises significantly enough to absorb the blow of an aging Miller.

However, this is also my concern with spending a lot on more 30 year olds. Is 2-3, maybe 4, competitive years enough to get a cup or do we end up another Calgary with a team on the downtrend and a number of aging anchor contracts that stall any rebuild?

At some point Peter will have to drive the bus

Miller will always be a good player, I see him aging like Crosby so at worst he will be a sufficient 2nd line centre that puts up 60

But you're right about signing too many 30 year Olds

The trouble is that in order to get guys any younger it will be picks going the other way.

I'm OK with the next 2 first and second round picks being in play To avoid the Calgary plague 

If we could get a legit 3C who can PK and doesnt kill offense and a LW who can put up 50-60 points both in the 24-27 range we would be set for years

I think this year will see a bit of a set back but I think it would be prudent to see Raty and Lekk get some games early to see how they fit with the NHL speed to be able to make decisions on direction with wingers and whether they may be better as trade chips

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny said:

At some point Peter will have to drive the bus

Miller will always be a good player, I see him aging like Crosby so at worst he will be a sufficient 2nd line centre that puts up 60

But you're right about signing too many 30 year Olds

The trouble is that in order to get guys any younger it will be picks going the other way.

I'm OK with the next 2 first and second round picks being in play To avoid the Calgary plague 

If we could get a legit 3C who can PK and doesnt kill offense and a LW who can put up 50-60 points both in the 24-27 range we would be set for years

I think this year will see a bit of a set back but I think it would be prudent to see Raty and Lekk get some games early to see how they fit with the NHL speed to be able to make decisions on direction with wingers and whether they may be better as trade chips

It's one of the reasons I'm more interested in trading for a guy like Necas than signing a guy like Guentzel. Guentzel may be a little bit better right now but a 25 year old Necas extends our window whereas a 30 year old Guentzel shortens it. For similar reasons I don't want to go beyond 6 years for Zadorov and ideally not more than 5.

The team can absorb 1 50 point, still defensively responsible Miller making $8M. But it can't absorb a 50 point $8M Miller and a 50 point $9.5M Guentzel. Suddenly you're looking at $8M of wasted cap for just two players.

But maybe management is convinced that these next two years with Demko at $5M is our best shot at winning the cup and future be damned. Not an easy summer for them but at least it seems they are taking a measured approach so far as we can see with the Zadorov negotiations.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Diamonds said:

It's one of the reasons I'm more interested in trading for a guy like Necas than signing a guy like Guentzel. Guentzel may be a little bit better right now but a 25 year old Necas extends our window whereas a 30 year old Guentzel shortens it. For similar reasons I don't want to go beyond 6 years for Zadorov and ideally not more than 5.

The team can absorb 1 50 point, still defensively responsible Miller making $8M. But it can't absorb a 50 point $8M Miller and a 50 point $9.5M Guentzel. Suddenly you're looking at $8M of wasted cap for just two players.

But maybe management is convinced that these next two years with Demko at $5M is our best shot at winning the cup and future be damned. Not an easy summer for them but at least it seems they are taking a measured approach so far as we can see with the Zadorov negotiations.

One difference is that Necas is a RFA while JG is a UFA. That means we need picks or prospects to trade for Necas and our cupboard is pretty threadbare of both; no 1st or 2nd this year and no 3rd in 2025 and 2026. We have no high end prospects aside from Lekker and Willander but no Bedard or Celebrini quality prospects.

16 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I agree that he might try to force it. With Miller's age and Demko's compounding injuries we realistically have a 4 year window. Or depending on Demko's and Hughes' upcoming contract negotiations it might just be the next 2 or 3 years. That is unless we can find a replacement starter and the cap rises significantly enough to absorb the blow of an aging Miller.

However, this is also my concern with spending a lot on more 30 year olds. Is 2-3, maybe 4, competitive years enough to get a cup or do we end up another Calgary with a team on the downtrend and a number of aging anchor contracts that stall any rebuild?

ok so we stay status quo and continue to build for antoher 3-4 seasons.. then we are right back at we have a bunch of cores at or around 30 years old.. is 2-3 maybe 4 competitive years enough to get you a cup again?

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That Hronek contract is solid proof. 

PB ,.  
has anyone mentioned anything about  Shayne Gostibehere ?

UFA  33 yrs .. but played very well this season

just thinking that if we hold back on finding a Premiere Forward , and instead find another great guality mix and match D man.

Go after:  Debrusk 4.5-5m

Gostibehere 6-6.5m.

sign:  Zadorov 5.5m.    

total 17m.

just a little over projected cap space of 16.2

(let Mihkeyev have time to heal & prove)

Debrusk Pettersson Hoglander

Hughes Hroneck

Zadorov Gostibehere

Juulsen Soucy 

• Haha 1

cap space = 18.55

Dillon 3 x3

Marchessault 7.75x 3

Silovs 1

Bluegger 2

Myers 2.75

= 2 million in space 

To CAR 

Milky 

Podz

Raty 

2025 1st 

- cap out = 5.75

To VAN 

Necas 7.75 

JM Petey Necas 

Hogz Miller Brock 

Suter Bluegger Garly

PDG Aman Bains 

Edited by canucks curse

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s also a talented defenseman who can skate markedly well for a large player and scored some beautiful and timely goals in the playoffs. His size and strength are barely replaceable, but combine that with his skill and skating and his personality, he is vital to re-sign. 

This nails it ... markedly! 😉

He's exactly what we need. Need to get it done!

ASAP!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

PB ,.  
has anyone mentioned anything about  Shayne Gostibehere ?

UFA  33 yrs .. but played very well this season

just thinking that if we hold back on finding a Premiere Forward , and instead find another great guality mix and match D man.

Go after:  Debrusk 4.5-5m

Gostibehere 6-6.5m.

sign:  Zadorov 5.5m.    

total 17m.

just a little over projected cap space of 16.2

(let Mihkeyev have time to heal & prove)

Debrusk Pettersson Hoglander

Hughes Hroneck

Zadorov Gostibehere

Juulsen Soucy 

so where's this offence coming from? i don't see debrusk being a fit for EP if you are going to find a winger for EP not JG you need to find one that have passing ability.. neither debrusk of hoglander have any playmaking ability at all so EP once again will be the focus on the line.. shutdown ep the line is dead because the other 2 have 0 capability to create for themselves or others.. or at least have a threat the other team need to respect.. on millers line you have to worry about miller you have to worry about hughes you have to worry about boeser.. on EP's line you have to worry about EP and you can ignore the rest. watch how many teams double down or cheats toward EP 5v5.. so if this debruk project fails not only will you have 4.5-5mil wasted you going to have on top 11+mil of EP wasted.. i rather gamble on a high end forward to maximize the 11mil EP.. then bring in projects that you HOPE will work but if backfire you going to end up with 15-16mil being irrelevant.. i really don't understand the obsession with some ppl spending insane amount on the defence.. 7.8 7.25 6-6.5? 5.5 3.25 and 900k.. over 30mil on defence.. that's projected to be top 3 in the league.. while we downgrade significantly on forward when our issue in the playoff was scoring? letting a lindholm and joshua walk replacing with a debrusk is a massive downgrade on every level while keeping everything else status quo

53 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

cap space = 18.55

Dillon 3 x3

Marchessault 7.75x 3

Silovs 1

Bluegger 2

Myers 2.75

= 2 million in space 

To CAR 

Milky 

Podz

Raty