[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If they get to the ltir limit, yes, but their real cap space, at the moment is $16m

Why would they not utilize LTIR. Their cap space is 18.53 million. By that I mean they can add 18.53 million in salary and not be over the cap. The real cap is how much they still can spend without being considered over the cap by the League.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Why would they not utilize LTIR. Their cap space is 18.53 million. By that I mean they can add 18.53 million in salary and not be over the cap. The real cap is how much they still can spend without being considered over the cap by the League.

No, they can only add $2.53m or whatever it is

5 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

No, they can only add $2.53m or whatever it is

They have approximately 16 million without LTIR. Including Poolman's salary brings it to 18.53.  Poolman is considered full time LTIR or whatever the technical designation is for that. They have special rules which the general public are not privy to.

Posters claiming we have only 16 million are being disingenuous.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If the Canucks can operate below the Cap without using LTIR, the savings bank and the saved amounts can be used at the trade deadline

3 minutes ago, Wheres Wellwood said:

If the Canucks can operate below the Cap without using LTIR, the savings bank and the saved amounts can be used at the trade deadline

To me, the only way that happens is if we trade Poolman's rights; otherwise, we will be in LTIR.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they get to the ltir limit, yes, but their real cap space, at the moment is $16m

At end of day the canucks can add 18.53 more in cap to their roster and they would be cap compliant

By those finitions they still have room to add 18.53m to the cap

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

ok so we stay status quo and continue to build for antoher 3-4 seasons.. then we are right back at we have a bunch of cores at or around 30 years old.. is 2-3 maybe 4 competitive years enough to get you a cup again?

Where did I say don't do anything? I literally talked about trading for Necas which costs assets, it's just a different mentality around improvement. A $9.5M Guentzel should make our top 6 better next year but his cap hit might destroy our depth.

Jake Guentzel could cost us Zadorov. Maybe we can lure a guy like Matt Roy here who, even though 29, won't be looking for a max length contract like Guentzel. Would you rather have Zadorov and Roy bolstering Hughes and Hronek in the top 4 or Jake Guentzel but a 2nd pair of Soucy-Myers and a bottom pair of Friedman-Juulsen?

Maybe we can get Necas for Höglander + Garland and he signs for $7M. That $2.5M difference might allow us to re-sign Zadorov or maybe re-sign Joshua. Then you're still getting a legitimate top 6 winger who still has potential to become a PPG player playing alongside Petey and we still keep some of our depth. Plus you don't have to worry about them succumbing to age in a few years.

Yes, we want to improve. But adding some pieces at the cost of losing others doesn't necessarily do that. Obviously there are a lot of hypotheticals in here but just pointing out that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Just now, Diamonds said:

Where did I say don't do anything? I literally talked about trading for Necas which costs assets, it's just a different mentality around improvement. A $9.5M Guentzel should make our top 6 better next year but his cap hit might destroy our depth.

Jake Guentzel could cost us Zadorov. Maybe we can lure a guy like Matt Roy here who, even though 29, won't be looking for a max length contract like Guentzel. Would you rather have Zadorov and Roy bolstering Hughes and Hronek in the top 4 or Jake Guentzel but a 2nd pair of Soucy-Myers and a bottom pair of Friedman-Juulsen?

Maybe we can get Necas for Höglander + Garland and he signs for $7M. That $2.5M difference might allow us to re-sign Zadorov or maybe re-sign Joshua. Then you're still getting a legitimate top 6 winger who still has potential to become a PPG player playing alongside Petey and we still keep some of our depth. Plus you don't have to worry about them succumbing to age in a few years.

Yes, we want to improve. But adding some pieces at the cost of losing others doesn't necessarily do that. Obviously there are a lot of hypotheticals in here but just pointing out that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

So you would rather overpay 5mil+ for zadorov who may or may not be capable of being a top 4? Nothing in his career shown he’s capable of playing 20mins a game consistently yet we are willing to pay 5mil+ to gamble? So what happens if we have a 3rd pairing of zadorov soucy making over 8mil because they ain’t good enough to be a legit top 4 pair? If you are paying 5mil + for a defenceman he better than we’ll be a consistent top 4

19 minutes ago, bh90 said:

At end of day the canucks can add 18.53 more in cap to their roster and they would be cap compliant

By those finitions they still have room to add 18.53m to the cap

Yep, I'm pretty sure Poolman satisfies that weird clause that allows him to be on LTIR before the season starts.

$18.53M is a lot of cap space, but we are short 6 roster players including a top 6 forward and 2 top 4 defensemen. It can disappear very quickly.

Edit: or at the very least 2 #4/5 defensemen

Edited by Diamonds

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

So you would rather overpay 5mil+ for zadorov who may or may not be capable of being a top 4? Nothing in his career shown he’s capable of playing 20mins a game consistently yet we are willing to pay 5mil+ to gamble? So what happens if we have a 3rd pairing of zadorov soucy making over 8mil because they ain’t good enough to be a legit top 4 pair? If you are paying 5mil + for a defenceman he better than we’ll be a consistent top 4

I'm definitely wary of overpaying Zadorov. I've been one of the people saying I don't want to pay more than $5M for him because he doesn't have a long enough track record playing the minutes he did in the playoffs. But even if it's not Zadorov, unless you believe Soucy is a top 4 defenseman we still need to sign two top 4 (or at least #4/5) defensemen. Zadorov really seemed to click with this group though which is why I might be okay with a very slight overpayment for him, just not any significant overpayment.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

so where's this offence coming from? i don't see debrusk being a fit for EP if you are going to find a winger for EP not JG you need to find one that have passing ability.. neither debrusk of hoglander have any playmaking ability at all so EP once again will be the focus on the line.. shutdown ep the line is dead because the other 2 have 0 capability to create for themselves or others.. or at least have a threat the other team need to respect.. on millers line you have to worry about miller you have to worry about hughes you have to worry about boeser.. on EP's line you have to worry about EP and you can ignore the rest. watch how many teams double down or cheats toward EP 5v5.. so if this debruk project fails not only will you have 4.5-5mil wasted you going to have on top 11+mil of EP wasted.. i rather gamble on a high end forward to maximize the 11mil EP.. then bring in projects that you HOPE will work but if backfire you going to end up with 15-16mil being irrelevant.. i really don't understand the obsession with some ppl spending insane amount on the defence.. 7.8 7.25 6-6.5? 5.5 3.25 and 900k.. over 30mil on defence.. that's projected to be top 3 in the league.. while we downgrade significantly on forward when our issue in the playoff was scoring? letting a lindholm and joshua walk replacing with a debrusk is a massive downgrade on every level while keeping everything else status quo

can’t say that I agree with much of this

Wa Lai ,

You have an 11 m dollar man signed, that needs a 9m dollar man to fix his issue?

20 m between 2 players,.  Yet to see if any chemistry is there at all..

Hoglander you seem to look at as a lunch bucket , but he worked harder and created most of the chances on his line with EP.

Id rather try to create chemistry with what’s left in the Cap.

Debrusk (40pts) is a good power forward that would compliment both Hogz game, by being a solid F2 to go to ,

the 2 of them would create the time and space that’s needed with their aggressive checking to have EP hunting like a shark for the spots to be on.

This also puts another very good skater into our D core with Gostibehere (50pts)

that might create 3 fantastic parings

Hughes Zadorov 

Hroneck Soucy 

Gostibehere Juulsen 

only so much you can do with 16.2 in Cap.

Id rather spread the love on Offence and D fence, than think that 9-10m will fix that problem.

Sign Zadorov , Debrusk, and Gostibehere 

to add :

Debrusk also had 11 pts in 13 playoff games this season.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

PB ,.  
has anyone mentioned anything about  Shayne Gostibehere ?

UFA  33 yrs .. but played very well this season

just thinking that if we hold back on finding a Premiere Forward , and instead find another great guality mix and match D man.

Go after:  Debrusk 4.5-5m

Gostibehere 6-6.5m.

sign:  Zadorov 5.5m.    

total 17m.

just a little over projected cap space of 16.2

(let Mihkeyev have time to heal & prove)

Debrusk Pettersson Hoglander

Hughes Hroneck

Zadorov Gostibehere

Juulsen Soucy 

Would love to have the Ghost here...

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

can’t say that I agree with much of this

Wa Lai ,

You have an 11 m dollar man signed, that needs a 9m dollar man to fix his issue?

20 m between 2 players,.  Yet to see if any chemistry is there at all..

Hoglander you seem to look at as a lunch bucket , but he worked harder and created most of the chances on his line with EP.

Id rather try to create chemistry with what’s left in the Cap.

Debrusk (40pts) is a good power forward that would compliment both Hogz game, by being a solid F2 to go to ,

the 2 of them would create the time and space that’s needed with their aggressive checking to have EP hunting like a shark for the spots to be on.

This also puts another very good skater into our D core with Gostibehere (50pts)

that might create 3 fantastic parings

Hughes Zadorov 

Hroneck Soucy 

Gostibehere Juulsen 

only so much you can do with 16.2 in Cap.

Id rather spread the love on Offence and D fence, than think that 9-10m will fix that problem.

Sign Zadorov , Debrusk, and Gostibehere 

to add :

Debrusk also had 11 pts in 13 playoff games this season.

You have a 11 dollar man and u need 9+? So why does kucherov play with point why does mackinnon play with rantanen, Matthew with nylander, etc etc. why does most of the top 10 scorer play with another player that is making 9mil and up but when it comes to pettersson he’s the exception to the rules and must play with lesser players or else he’s trash? By you standard they should be playing with some 3rd 4th line grinders and turn them into a ppg guy right?

sure there’s exceptions like pastrnak but there’s not that many? Panarin? He plays with zjb who makes like 8mil? Not everyone is a mcdavid or pastrnak

Edited by wai_lai416

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

You have a 11 dollar man and u need 9+? So why does kucherov play with point why does mackinnon play with rantanen, Matthew with nylander, etc etc. why does most of the top 10 scorer play with another player that is making 9mil and up but when it comes to pettersson he’s the exception to the rules and must play with lesser players or else he’s trash? By you standard they should be playing with some 3rd 4th line grinders and turn them into a ppg guy right?

im actually pointing out that we may have overpaid for Petterson next contract ..

Signing him ,  was too premature.

Sure I think it’s   p r o b a b l y

going to be ok ,  but it’s not proven ..

you’ve listed players that have played together for years.

Why not just go after Crosby?

• Cheers 1