[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Love Dillon and would be thrilled to get him as an alternative to Zadorov, if the latter is not meant to be. But he can't skate like Zadorov.

Joshua was a great story and I'd love to have him back at the right $... But he also rode Garland and a likely unsustainable shooting % to a career year.

This is exactly what pro scouting is for. Need to find the "next Joshua".

I’ve had that thought as well re/Dillon.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Dillon is more physical and the better fighter… but the beauty of Zadorov is that he can skate the puck out of the zone - and if we’re going Juulsen as 6RD I’m a lot more confident in Zad-Juulsen than Dillon-Juulsen.  You almost need to go shopping for an RD who can lug the puck.

• Cheers 1

Just now, ronning4center said:

Almost 100 pages in less than six months.  I th8nk the fans care about this one.  Hopefully management reads the room...

You can't get too sentimental in this league.

Sometimes moving on from guys who are demanding too much, even if they're great room/team guys and fan favourites, is the right thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Petey O said:

You can't get too sentimental in this league.

Sometimes moving on from guys who are demanding too much, even if they're great room/team guys and fan favourites, is the right thing to do.

Yup. Management traded Bo and it was clearly (especially after seeing his new contract) the right move.,

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Defencemen on the other hand just need some size to help box out.  

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yeah that sounds like a downturn in negotiations to me. 

It would suck to lose the size and snarl of Zadorov... but reality is, neither team in the Finals this year had that much snarl in their lineups. 

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Florida had plenty of snarl and nastiness, not so much size and brute strength. Tkachuk, Lomberg, Bennett, Cousins, Rodriguez even Barkov… these guys were all laying the body far more than the oilers and making their hits count.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Which of those guys are defencemen?

So I dont quite understand why when I brought up snarl on the rosters and listing the forwards, you then ask a rhetorical question asking which one of them are defensemen as if there was no snarl up front and it was supposed to be on the back end but as you stated earlier, there was no snarl at all on either roster.

You're kinda bouncing back and forth and back tracking a bit... No offense.

47 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You can't look at total hits in the playoffs as an indicator.  They played more games than all the other teams, so their stats are naturally higher.  I'd be interested in seeing hits per game.  That tells a much better story.

Hits also doesn't equate to snarl.  People clearly like Zadorov because of his size and intimidation factor.  You know who hits more than Zadorov?  Jeremy Lauzon in NAS.  Do you think people would be willing to pay Lauzon $5M AAV because of the number of hits he has? 

Bottomline is we don't NEED Zadorov to be a successful team.  We don't NEED snarl.  We need defencemen that defend well, and can move the puck well... BUT AT A REASONABLE PRICE.

The hits are listed for just the 7 game final series so the math is pretty simple: divide total hits in final 7 games by 7. They out hit the shit out of Edmonton in ‘hits per game’. 42.3 to 26.6 hits per game.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, AnthonyG said:

So I dont quite understand why when I brought up snarl on the rosters and listing the forwards, you then ask a rhetorical question asking which one of them are defensemen as if there was no snarl up front and it was supposed to be on the back end but as you stated earlier, there was no snarl at all on either roster.

You're kinda bouncing back and forth and back tracking a bit... No offense.

Because the conversation was originally about Zadorov and the defencemen for FLA/EDM.  I was saying how teams actually don't need that kinda snarl, and you brought up the forwards.  So I redirected you back to talking about defencemen, but I also gave you kudos for mentioning forwards.  That's all. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Because the conversation was originally about Zadorov and the defencemen for FLA/EDM.  I was saying how teams actually don't need that kinda snarl, and you brought up the forwards.  So I redirected you back to talking about defencemen, but I also gave you kudos for mentioning forwards.  That's all. 

Fair enough, I just read the "neither team had snarl" as a general statement of the overall rosters. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

which to boot, we do have some snarl up front in Miller a guy with REAL snarl. Not that Matthew Tkapuke or Sam Bonehead "snarl"

• MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Fair enough, I just read the "neither team had snarl" as a general statement of the overall rosters. 

Yeah I wasn't clear.  I was referring to defencemen. 

We need more size, grit, and truculence up front. 

Need more mobility and puck moving ability on the back end.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

which to boot, we do have some snarl up front in Miller a guy with REAL snarl. Not that Matthew Tkapuke or Sam Bonehead "snarl"

Yup, and TBH, Boeser plays a very heavy game now.  Suter is strong on the boards too.

The Petey line needs work.

Our 3rd line was great as we know... hopefully we can at least bring back Blueger.  Then find the "next Joshua".

Our 4th line needs a lot more grit and sandpaper IMO.  Aman isn't gonna cut it.  PDG tries, but I'd rather have some more size instead.  Karlsson actually is decent.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Ok,.     Myers ..   what to do with him ?

This is exactly why big physical defenseman are a key to our success. Its not by coincidence we have success with guys like Big Z, Soucy and Myers. Look what happens when 1 or more of these guys AREN'T in our line up. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Almost 100 pages in less than six months.  I think the fans care about this one.  Hopefully management reads the room...

The last  thing I want is management ‘reading the room’ and making decisions based on the uninformed opinions we all (me included) post here. I have faith in them to make decisions based on how to most efficiently improve our team and not base decisions on a popularity contest cause we all loved seeing Zads stuff Kane into the bench like he was a garbage bag. They have more to consider than just the cap and whatever they do this off-season some of us will be unhappy (going big for JG, passing on JG, keeping Zads, ‘overpaying’ Zads, getting/not getting Dhillon; paying Lindholm 8 million, let Lindholm walk for free, buy out Mik or keep him, etc,). It’s a virtually impossible job to maintain our level of success let alone improve with our circumstances (cap space, underperforming players, quality of prospects, and picks available). We have a winning GM, an acclaimed coach, and talented assistant coaches. In the end, many of us will be coulda, woulda, shoulda, but they know much more than any of us and thank goodness some of the keyboard warriors here (or me) are not making the decisions.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is exactly why big physical defenseman are a key to our success. Its not by coincidence we have success with guys like Big Z, Soucy and Myers. Look what happens when 1 or more of these guys AREN'T in our line up. 

resign Myers just for breaking LD’s rib… heck, give him an extra 500k 😅

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, and TBH, Boeser plays a very heavy game now.  Suter is strong on the boards too.

The Petey line needs work.

Our 3rd line was great as we know... hopefully we can at least bring back Blueger.  Then find the "next Joshua".

Our 4th line needs a lot more grit and sandpaper IMO.  Aman isn't gonna cut it.  PDG tries, but I'd rather have some more size instead.  Karlsson actually is decent.

I was going to mention Boeser, a whole new found grit and snarl in his game.

Pettersson has a nasty side to him as well, just sucks he wasn’t healthy. 

• Like 1

My guess is Zaddy may be giving them time to get that top 6 guy first and then come back to the table. Could be waiting to see what they can negotiate with Guentzel or whatever other big top 6 FWD they want first, then come back to Zadorov and see what is left over and what they can do to work out a deal.

Zadorov wants to be here

the fans want him

the team wants him and needs him

and certainly management sees that too. I do not see them letting Zadorov slip away. There must be a mutual understanding of the pecking order and just looking to solidify the top 6 first and then throw the rest at Zadorov

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, AnthonyG said:

My guess is Zaddy may be giving them time to get that top 6 guy first and then come back to the table. Could be waiting to see what they can negotiate with Guentzel or whatever other big top 6 FWD they want first, then come back to Zadorov and see what is left over and what they can do to work out a deal.

Zadorov wants to be here

the fans want him

the team wants him and needs him

and certainly management sees that too. I do not see them letting Zadorov slip away. There must be a mutual understanding of the pecking order and just looking to solidify the top 6 first and then throw the rest at Zadorov

JR/PA like to sign guys in some kind of order. Do Geuntzel, then Big Z, then Myers, then Bluegar. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Just my opinion/thought/feels

I believe not re-signing Zadorov is a huge mistake for the teams’ D-Corps. 

I want Zaddy if I ever had to go into a battle.

I agree and have said as much several times....

It seems like some folks have a line drawn at a certain number, but are we really all that concerned of PA goes 250k or 500k above whatever that number is? I'd be far more concerned if we let him walk for that amount.....especially if he ends up in LA.....

According to a tweet I saw from Dhali, there were no talks between the two sides last weekend, which suggests that maybe the Canucks did make their "final" offer. It now looks like Z's camp wants to see if anyone blows that offer out of the water on July 1st. If not, hopefully they circle back.

What I hope is, if Milstein asks them to match (or come close to) an offer from another club that's isn't crazy, they don't pick that hill to die on....

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I agree and have said as much several times....

It seems like some folks have a line drawn at a certain number, but are we really all that concerned of PA goes 250k or 500k above whatever that number is? I'd be far more concerned if we let him walk for that amount.....especially if he ends up in LA.....

According to a tweet I saw from Dhali, there were no talks between the two sides last weekend, which suggests that maybe the Canucks did make their "final" offer. It now looks like Z's camp wants to see if anyone blows that offer out of the water on July 1st. If not, hopefully they circle back.

What I hope is, if Milstein asks them to match (or come close to) an offer from another club that's isn't crazy, they don't pick that hill to die on....

🤞🏽