[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I agree and have said as much several times....

It seems like some folks have a line drawn at a certain number, but are we really all that concerned of PA goes 250k or 500k above whatever that number is? I'd be far more concerned if we let him walk for that amount.....especially if he ends up in LA.....

According to a tweet I saw from Dhali, there were no talks between the two sides last weekend, which suggests that maybe the Canucks did make their "final" offer. It now looks like Z's camp wants to see if anyone blows that offer out of the water on July 1st. If not, hopefully they circle back.

What I hope is, if Milstein asks them to match (or come close to) an offer from another club that's isn't crazy, they don't pick that hill to die on....

Who can actually confirm that it was Zadorov given “a final offer”

that was the rumour yet the first guy signed with the least amount leaked was Hronek. Seems to me like the whole time it was negotiations with Hronek, but radio silence on him and the rumour was made into Zadorov to keep things behind closed doors.

I believe Zadorov and PA have a rough number and term worked out, I feel the delay is July 1st top 6 negotiations. That’s the real hold up. Anything under 6 and Zadorov should signed without any delay. Just doesn’t make sense any other way in my personal opinion.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Well said.

Case and point ...Pettersson

I think that’s a little trigger happy….

2019-20 playoffs 17gp 7g 11a 18pts

lets not be too quick to bury a guy who clearly wasn’t himself for a lengthy period of time for a number of reasons.

1) health 

and 

2) linemates.

Pettersson will be back to normal and with better line mates hopefully 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Who can actually confirm that it was Zadorov given “a final offer”

that was the rumour yet the first guy signed with the least amount leaked was Hronek. Seems to me like the whole time it was negotiations with Hronek, but radio silence on him and the rumour was made into Zadorov to keep things behind closed doors.

I believe Zadorov and PA have a rough number and term worked out, I feel the delay is July 1st top 6 negotiations. That’s the real hold up. Anything under 6 and Zadorov should signed without any delay. Just doesn’t make sense any other way in my personal opinion.

Nobody. It's a guess based on Dhali's assertion that there were no talks over the weekend. Take it FWIW.....I thought that was pretty clear from my other post....:classic_unsure:

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Nobody. It's a guess based on Dhali's assertion that there were no talks over the weekend. Take it FWIW.....I thought that was pretty clear from my other post....:classic_unsure:

I’m not calling you out specifically. I’m just eluding to the fact there was this headline about Zadorov’s final offer and the first guy announced is Hronek when there was no chatter about his negotiations

Just now, AnthonyG said:

I’m not calling you out specifically. I’m just eluding to the fact there was this headline about Zadorov’s final offer and the first guy announced is Hronek when there was no chatter about his negotiations

Yeah, none of us knows for sure what's going on behind the scenes. (not even Dhali)

It's all guesswork.....but that's what these forums are for, amirite? :classic_wink:

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is exactly why big physical defenseman are a key to our success. It’s not by coincidence we have success with guys like Big Z, Soucy and Myers. Look what happens when 1 or more of these guys AREN'T in our line up. 

People forget that being good in the Physical spectrum while still maintaining great skating is a SKILLSET.

Getting points and goals are fantastic ,

but the depth of both qualities gets you through 82 games and 16 playoff wins.

We lost Brock in game 7 , and didn’t have another shooter to replace him.

At least with Demko out we’ve had 2 incredible replacements.

that's why I think Debrusk would look great on this squad,  50+ points and still young enough to create another level on this club.

Zadorov is a must ,.    And if Gostibehere came here , his skating and skillset would elevate a lot of weight off of Hroneck and Hughes..    and we wouldn’t slip a disc if 1 of the 3 went down to injury.

Zadorov   Debrusk.   Gostibehere ,

could be 3 signings that elevat this team without literally selling the Farm and breaking the bank.

We’re back to blue collar hockey in this city!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

People forget that being good in the Physical spectrum while still maintaining great skating is a SKILLSET.

that's why I think Debrusk would look great on this squad,  50+ points and still young enough to create another level on this club.

Zadorov is a must ,.    And if Gostibehere came here , his skating and skillset would elevate a lot of weight off of Hroneck and Hughes..    and we wouldn’t slip a disc if 1 of the 3 went down to injury.

could be 3 signings that elevat this team without literally selling the Farm and breaking the bank.

I've noticed that in the past your Debrusk suggestion has been met with some skepticism (if not outright derision) but I think that has a lot to do with the Boston factor. A lot of Canuck fans just can't look at things objectively when it comes to teams that are deeply unpopular in this market.

I agree that JD would look good in a Canucks' jersey and like you, I'd prefer signing him and maybe someone like Ghost over breaking the bank for Jake Guentzel.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I started watching them and fell in love with that "Blue Collar Hockey" , what ever we have had since then has been rough to watch and enjoy. Playing great Hockey in the regular season and bowing out early in the playoffs gets old fast.

Having guys like Joshua, Big Z, Soucy and Myers has made us the closest to that kind of hockey again. We are not easily pushed around and intimidated. We have had bad luck drafting our own version of these guys so this next few weeks is going to be crucial to our future success.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, none of us knows for sure what's going on behind the scenes. (not even Dhali)

It's all guesswork.....but that's what these forums are for, amirite? :classic_wink:

I’m putting money I’m on it that JR is playing some old school tricks of the trade as a true veteran of management and the only hear say he lets leak out are false ones. So they can work on what needs to be done without distraction. 

30 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

22 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I've noticed that in the past your Debrusk suggestion has been met with some skepticism (if not outright derision) but I think that has a lot to do with the Boston factor. A lot of Canuck fans just can't look at things objectively when it comes to teams that are deeply unpopular in this market.

I agree that JD would look good in a Canucks' jersey and like you, I'd prefer signing him and maybe someone like Ghost over breaking the bank for Jake Guentzel.

Debrusk would be a solid addition.  He's not a 50 point guy IMO, but is definitely a consistent 40 point player (he's had one 50 point season his entire career).  The thing that stands out for me is he has become more grumpy as he has matured.  He absolutely plays physical more often than not now.  Perhaps a result of him growing into his frame.  He eclipsed 100 hits last season for the 1st time.

With his production at 40 points last year, I think he'd actually come in under $5M AAV. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

I’ve had that thought as well re/Dillon.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Dillon is more physical and the better fighter… but the beauty of Zadorov is that he can skate the puck out of the zone - and if we’re going Juulsen as 6RD I’m a lot more confident in Zad-Juulsen than Dillon-Juulsen.  You almost need to go shopping for an RD who can lug the puck.

I kind of feel like we need that anyway. Tanev likely being the best fit from a player type, and likely requiring minimal term standpoint (he really is a pretty ideal interim fit while Willander develps). Though unless we can move some salary, that's not likely to happen unless we miss out on Guentzel/Marsh. 

Hughes, Hronek/Tanev

Zadorov, Hronek/Tanev

Soucy, ____

Friedman, Juulsen 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I kind of feel like we need that anyway. Tanev likely being the best fit from a player type, and likely requiring minimal term standpoint (he really is a pretty ideal interim fit while Willander develps). Though unless we can move some salary, that's not likely to happen unless we miss out on Guentzel/Marsh. 

Hughes, Hronek/Tanev

Zadorov, Hronek/Tanev

Soucy, ____

Friedman, Juulsen 

You still in on Tanev coming back? Think he’s got a few years left in what’s left of him?

I will say that Hronek, Zadorov, Myers and Tanev would make the defense ridiculously good.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You still in Tanev coming back? Think he’s got a few years left in what’s left of him?

Yup, and wouldn't cost as much term as say Pesce. He'll have a few teams after him though, so no guarantees, but I'd happily bring him back and then he and Willander can swap 2nd/3rd pair in his last year here.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Would be an even stouter defense than before with Tanman. 

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Tanev

Soucy, ____

Friedman, Juulsen

D-Petey, McWard, Hirose

Fill in that blank with a solid 2nd-3rd day, 3rd pair UFA for $1-$2m and you've got a VERY solid D