Have you paid your dues as a Canucks fan?

Blue

Bandwagoned as a young teen in the late 2000s, stuck around throughout the 2010s and even watched every game for a 4ish year period that were not good years so I am finally seeing all the suffering start to pay off over the last decade. 

• Cheers 1

I’m probably right in the middle age-wise for posters here.

My earliest memory of the team is the McSorley vs Brashear incident, or simply Garth Snow’s abominable snowman mask

• ThereItIs 1

I think I've paid my dues. I wasn't alive for '82. I saw alot of the '94 run, though I was only 6, so I don't remember much. I watched all the way through the dark times of the late '90s. I saw the rise of the west coast express, damn if we only had the goaltending. Watched the heartbreak of 2011. Then got a Johnny Canuck tattoo, oddly enough the day we traded Kesler to Anaheim. So you tell me. Have I paid my dues?

11 hours ago, Blue said:

I pissed in the trough at the Coliseum as a kid. It was crowded in there. And it smelled terrifying 

How about you ? 

It was a designated urinal trough, or you just urinated on the ground?

The splashes must be disgusting.  

Born in ‘72 in North Van so not quite around since the beginning but close. 

Earliest Canuck memory, we had moved to Ontario in ‘77 and my dad golfed at a course where Neil Armstrong the linesman worked. Neil found out I was a Nux fan and gave me a game used puck (stick in rink) with a hole drilled in it. Armstrong used to put the pucks on his fence at his house. I still have the puck and his autograph. 

Been to many games in Van and in various other buildings. Many autographs including my all time favorite Linden on a jersey and a card when he was a rookie.

I cheered in ‘82, felt heartbreak in ‘94 and emptiness in ‘11. And all the ups and downs in between.

Forever a Canucks fan!

13 hours ago, Blue said:

I pissed in the trough at the Coliseum as a kid. It was crowded in there. And it smelled terrifying 

How about you ? 

I did not. Many is the time I pissed between two cars on my way out. 🤮

• Haha 1

I started Lindholm in my fantasy pool tonight and it's the playoffs and I had much better options available so yes I think so

Also I pee'd in the trough at pacific colosseum wheee 

• Haha 1

Born in ‘91 so memories pre 97-98 are more or less non-existent. 

That being said I’ve survived many tours on CDC since 2005. Pre-Covid from roughly 1998-2020 I missed less than 10 games on TV (minus PPV games back in the day which were listened to on radio). 

Been through many highs and lows as have most of you. Met my first girlfriend on the original CDC when I was 15. Survived that breakup four years later followed shortly after by 2011 playoffs, which was followed shortly after by the loss of my father from lung cancer. He who got me into the Canucks from the earliest days I can remember. 

Not only is the fabric of my life entangled in this team, but my father even named me after a Canuck from the 80’s. Somehow or another I’m assuming my DNA is partially made up of this franchise. 

Hopefully some of my dues paid will return some dividends before I die. 

• Huggy Bear 1

I dunno about dues. I was 8nna chat group with a few dozen awesome lads and lasses that became the Canucks fan forum around about 2003, @Ilunga my brother was therabouts, @Sharpshooter wasn't much after , there lots of us before CDC who are still here after CDC and I love ya'll.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I became a fan in the early 2000's

Caught the tail end of the WCE, got to see the success that the Sedin led teams had, and have watched my fair share of mediocre rosters over the last ten or so years to balance out all the competitive rosters I got to watch 

I'm simply not as old as many of the fans around these parts, so I reckon I've paid what I can 

I'm the same.... although I'm on the wrong side of 60 now...

Would like to think I paid my dues, but not quite sure, what it takes or what the prize is?

Wonder if getting up at 3am regularly to watch Canucks on TV, as I'm struggling to wait to see it delayed (hate it, when I see the score by mistake), does count towards paying my dues? 

• Cheers 2

watched every single season of this great adventure, highs and lows. Loved the big irishman player and executive. Smautz. lalonde, Suitcase smith. 

rota boldirev, king Richard...HAROLD.

linden Mclean,bure, ronning

Bertuzzi, Naslund, Morrison

Sedins,Kesler,Burrows,Luuuuuu

Now Hughes DEmko,Petey,Miller- we are lucky to see this team coming around.

i watched the first game as a kid with my dad at 5. hoped to see a cup win with him but sadly dad passed in 2018. i would love to see one before i go too.

i would say i have paid my dues but really we all have. We havent has a 4 season cup run but i love the years we have had long playoff runs. this city goes nuts. i hope we have another long run this spring. Go canucks Go.

ps sorry about the crappy typing, i am down one hand and its not my good one.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

I'm the same.... although I'm on the wrong side of 60 now...

Would like to think I paid my dues, but not quite sure, what it takes or what the prize is?

Wonder if getting up at 3am regularly to watch Canucks on TV, as I'm struggling to wait to see it delayed (hate it, when I see the score by mistake), does count towards paying my dues? 

I reckon you probably have 

Way I see it is it's just having experienced some of the lows that have historically come with being a Canucks fan, anyone who's watched over the last ten or so has likely done so

There aren't any longer term fans who haven't imo

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I reckon you probably have 

Way I see it is it's just having experienced some of the lows that have historically come with being a Canucks fan, anyone who's watched over the last ten or so has likely done so

There aren't any longer term fans who haven't imo

20 years now with ups and downs that has followed.... 

Part of the enjoyment is actually being part of these forums... Best bar none.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

20 years now with ups and downs that has followed.... 

Part of the enjoyment is actually being part of these forums... Best bar none.

Ngl, CDC played a big part in keeping me engaged over the years 

I'd lurk in the early to mid 2000's before finally joining up

The trades, runours, and signings and general hockey discussion areas in particular, moreso as things started trending down

I pay attention to other hockey socials because there's more fans of other teams, thus more league wide information, but it's this community that keeps me around here 

I realize that my takes aren't always taken well and I've done my fair share of being testy and butting heads, but despite that I do enjoy engaging with folks round here 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ngl, CDC played a big part in keeping me engaged over the years 

I'd lurk in the early to mid 2000's before finally joining up

The trades, runours, and signings and general hockey discussion areas in particular, moreso as things started trending down

I pay attention to other hockey socials because there's more fans of other teams, thus more league wide information, but it's this community that keeps me around here 

I realize that my takes aren't always taken well and I've done my fair share of being testy and butting heads, but despite that I do enjoy engaging with folks round here 

Sound a lot like myself, except I try to stay close to Canucks related subjects... Simply don't have the time to go too much into other issues, but yes, I get so much information through CDC and now CFF about what goes on within the organisation, rumours etc...

We can't agree with everyone, and we may see things differently, but at least it gives us a chance to broaden our horizon, and there are many good points of views being put forward... 

I wouldn't change it anything, and have had many a good discussion here... only 'sad' thing is, being located in the UK, means not being able to meet up with some of all the fab posters here for a few pre game pints... 🙂 🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When the 82 run happened the guys on my beer league team did watch parties for every game. Different house for every game.

As it happened, we were at my place the night they beat the Kings in OT, thanks to 2 goals (including the OT winner) from the 2nd most hated former Canuck ever, Colin Campbell. (I won't bother mentioning #1. If you don't know who that is, you definitely haven't paid your dues)

Funny thing is, what I remember most about that night was John McKeachie doing a telephone interview with Campbell from the BCTV studio after the game. He made the "unforgivable" mistake of pronouncing Campbell's fist name as "Call-in"....

An obviously pissed off Campbell responded, "It's "Cole-in"..........Joan!" :classic_laugh: