Have you paid your dues as a Canucks fan?

Blue

On 3/19/2024 at 9:37 AM, Blue said:

I pissed in the trough at the Coliseum as a kid. It was crowded in there. And it smelled terrifying 

How about you ? 

I’ve been to more Canucks games that 99.2% of all the players that have played for the Canucks, including the first game. Oh yeah, I’ve paid my dues.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

On 3/19/2024 at 12:49 PM, Alflives said:

Alf can’t  think of a better club to be a fan of if making empties is your thing. 

Alf  was there to see the Vancouver Canuckstones play.

IMG_1486.jpeg

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

When the 82 run happened the guys on my beer league team did watch parties for every game. Different house for every game.

As it happened, we were at my place the night they beat the Kings in OT, thanks to 2 goals (including the OT winner) from the 2nd most hated former Canuck ever, Colin Campbell. (I won't bother mentioning #1. If you don't know who that is, you definitely haven't paid your dues)

Funny thing is, what I remember most about that night was John McKeachie doing a telephone interview with Campbell from the BCTV studio after the game. He made the "unforgivable" mistake of pronouncing Campbell's fist name as "Call-in"....

An obviously pissed off Campbell responded, "It's "Cole-in"..........Joan!" :classic_laugh:

Always been "colon" for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

I haven't been a fan nearly as long as lot of other people, but I've been a fan for 20 years now which I feel is not an insignificant amount of time. And I've still followed the team passionately even though all of the bad years and playoff heartbreaks, never losing hope of one day seeing them lift the Stanley Cup, and that's the way it will always be until the day I die. I feel I've payed a decent amount for the time I've been a fan. 

Edited by CaribouCanuck
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, CaribouCanuck said:

I haven't been a fan nearly as long as lot of other people, but I've been a fan for 20 years now which I feel is not an insignificant amount of time. And I've still followed the team passionately even though all of the bad years and playoff heartbreaks, never losing hope of one day seeing them list the Stanley Cup, and that's the way it will always be until the day I die. I feel I've payed a decent amount for the time I've been a fan. 

This is the experience and hope we all share, whether its 20 years or 50.  When the day finally comes it will be all the sweeter for it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

This thread feels like boomer bait.

Google Bots already know what I think of Aquaman and Putin .... bait away!

Go Canucks Go!

Edited by Rocket-68

On 3/19/2024 at 6:43 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I watched that movie so many times as a teen. Wore out the video tape and vhs. For you youngsters, those were gizmos we used to watch movies. The only streaming going on was the bathroom break after a few brewskis.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 2:45 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I've been a fan since the beginning in 1970.  Saw Bobby Schmautz score a wicked screen goal in my first live game circa 1973.  Was there for the one playoff game the Canucks won against Montreal in 1975.  If I recall right it was 1-0 with Paulin Bordeleau  scoring.  Was in the backwoods of Peru for the 1982 cup run and thought my buddies were having me on when they told me about it.  Lived and died with the 1994 run, same with 2011.  Stayed up way too late listening to games all the decades I lived back east.  So much losing but never enough to cure me.  This current team is special and hopefully will be the one to finally bring us a cup but whatever happens, I'm here for the ride. 

I was mad for years when they traded Schmautz to the Bruins!! And the only time I seen Chris Oddleifsoon fight…he got pummeled to make the situation worse!!

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

I was mad for years when they traded Schmautz to the Bruins!! And the only time I seen Chris Oddleifsoon fight…he got pummeled to make the situation worse!!

I hear you brother and remember it well:  Keith Magnusson and his poxy cast.  Odleifsson was the ultimate pump and dump:  scored 4 goals in a game against the California Golden Seals so of course we had to go out and get him from Boston.  That's what passed for pro scouting in the day.  Schmautz was a gamer and that trade put us back a few years. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, awalk said:

I started Lindholm in my fantasy pool tonight and it's the playoffs and I had much better options available so yes I think so

Also I pee'd in the trough at pacific colosseum wheee 

Hahaha.   That makes me remember buying beer at the old Coliseum when everyone would rush down to the basement at intermission, stand in line to buy a ticket (with I.D.) then rush over to another table and hand in your ticket for a pre-poured glass of warm, flat disgusting draft beer - which you'd have to chug during intermission because you couldn't bring it to your seats! On top that - If you had to go for 'a whiz' in the trough, you'd end up missing half the next period.    What an archaic system it was!

• Cheers 1

On 3/19/2024 at 5:32 PM, Kanagan said:

In the interior we didn't get the games so I spent many an hour listening to static on the radio hoping for a few minutes of clear Jim Robson. It's called the skip in radio jargon.

Me, too. Only I was living 150 km north of Prince George and spent many a long winter night with my ear pressed to the radio, doing exactly what you describe. Sometimes you could hear Robson's voice rising and falling through the static and you wondered who scored. Pre-internet, pre-satellite dish receivers. Dark times.

• Like 2

Even if you had cable. Prior to the mid-80's you had CBC and later on BCTV broadcasting Canuck games. And the CBC only had what 5-10 Canuck games season?

TSN and BCTV bumped it up to about 25-35 games a season. So basically half the year is was CKNW for the games. We've only gotten all the games since what 2003?

I remember that you'd miss about 10-15 games a year. Then the gong show of pay per view. (Thank God that died a horrible death)

The sad part is recently we got preseason games televised. But the past couple of years only 1/2 the preseason games are on TV, and they aren't streaming like they said they would.

It's going to interesting to see what's going to happen on the next TV contract with the NHL. I'm not sure Rogers is making as much as they hoped with the rights.

I'm ok with CBC/TSN/Sportsnet splitting the contract again. It creates more competition. I'm curious is ESPN is making a profit with the NHL coverage.

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Even if you had cable. Prior to the mid-80's you had CBC and later on BCTV broadcasting Canuck games. And the CBC only had what 5-10 Canuck games season?

TSN and BCTV bumped it up to about 25-35 games a season. So basically half the year is was CKNW for the games. We've only gotten all the games since what 2003?

I remember that you'd miss about 10-15 games a year. Then the gong show of pay per view. (Thank God that died a horrible death)

The sad part is recently we got preseason games televised. But the past couple of years only 1/2 the preseason games are on TV, and they aren't streaming like they said they would.

It's going to interesting to see what's going to happen on the next TV contract with the NHL. I'm not sure Rogers is making as much as they hoped with the rights.

I'm ok with CBC/TSN/Sportsnet splitting the contract again. It creates more competition. I'm curious is ESPN is making a profit with the NHL coverage.

I'd like to see Sportsnet keep regional but lose all the national broadcasting rights.  TSN is at least willing to hire commentators who are capable of conducting themselves like professionals.  Bieksa is the only member of the HNIC broadcast team who doesn't disgrace the country on a weekly basis.

I feel most of the heartbreak we've all suffered is paying dues enough.

For me, deciding to still fly into vancouver in march 2005 was punishment enough, for the lockout meant no canucks games. I did see the brule-lucic giants lose though.

• Huggy Bear 1

I fell in love with the Canucks during the 92-93 campaign. Pavel was my favorite player (and still is). I even name my child after him in 2011. 
i played hockey in France with the 94 number in tribute of the 94 run. 
I’m not even a canadian citizen, let alone a vancouverite. 

its a true love story. 

• Like 3

my son was born in 89 and he watched his first Canuck game at the age of 7 DAYS old, I was laying on the couch with him on my chest. He was facing the tv and watched the ENTIRE game without falling asleep. He's STILL a big time Canuck fan to this day. Unfortunately the Nucks lost to the Bruins that night, but alas it was still a good night of father son bonding over hockey. 

• Huggy Bear 1