Have you paid your dues as a Canucks fan?

Blue

I was a sporadic hockey watcher.  Attended some Penticton V games as a teen, then  moved to Van for college, and didn't' really get into it again until Bure showed up.  Then I had an epiphany...watching hockey could be highly entertaining! After that I started getting to know the players, and the team's history, and I was hooked.  Haven't missed hardly any games since '91/'92. Of the ones i could. Of course not all of them were aired then.

Highlights were going to see the Canucks in '94 playoffs win one of their comeback games against Calgary, then attending the Western Conference championship win on the Laffs.  Complete with Trevor grabbing and dropping the lid of the Clarence Campbell Cup on the ice.  I guess the hockey gods didn't take that lightly. :classic_sad:

• Vintage 1

I have watched since the mid 70's close to every game.

Been to many,a few playoff games and even out of town I find a way.

Over the years have collected many many Canucks stuff.

So yes I have more then paid my way.

Now only missing a cup!!!

22 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I remember my old man going up on the roof to adjust the Antenna so we could get a clearer picture of the CBC HNIC game.   No cable back then!

1960s tv antenna hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

When we relied on antenna the only channel we could get was CBS spokane. Didn't get any hockey until we moved to town and finally got cable...1968. pre canucks at least lol. This feels like that monty python skit with four old men reminiscing. (hilarious)

• Vintage 1

Canucks fan since the mid 70's.

First game I saw was as a kid against the Black Hawks at the Pacific Coliseum.   

I was downtown during the 94 riot, escaped when it started to get ugly and just as the police were rolling in.

Lived in Calgary from 2000-2012 and put up with all the ribbing from Flamez fans.

Back in BC since 2012.

It's been quite the roller coaster ride - like the old wooden at the PNE.

In a word, Yep!. I mean I've attended only four Vancouver games in my life thus far;

- Linden's return game after Islander trade in Mar. '98 (Also witness to Mogilny's last season with the Canucks. That dude was amazing to watch from the nosebleeds!).

- A Canucks loss to the Coilers first game upon return from a road trip. (I won tickets to a game in a press box from a staff Xmas party raffle. Tommy Larshied sat with us for dinner. Awesome guy! Shoulda' known better than to choose a game after a road trip though!)

Then a couple in the 2000's;

- Can't remember exactly when, but Luongo was in goal and TJ Oshie was with the Blues. Behind Bobby Lou's end four rows up. We won that game!

- As above with the Blues, but was vs the Black Hawks the season before we slayed the dragon! Just off centre ice 11 rows up. We won that game too. 

I've been a Canucks fan since the Gary "Suitcase" Smith days. However,  because  of career chasing events in my life at the time, I pretty much lost touch from '78 to the late 80s. The '89 first round playoffs vs the big, bad Calgary Flames was my reacquaintance back to the fold. That was a great series. Bummer outcome, but still great.

In '91 I moved back home to P.A. to help my brother caretake my mom. Pretty much stayed with the Canucks ever since. I VHS'd every '94 playoff game. Pretty sure I don't have them anymore, but I believe I still have Game 6 in the NY cup final somewheres in my crowded closet.

After 3 cup final appearances, and especially the last two for me in '94 and 2011, I figure being witness to that is enough dues to pay. The poor seasons, managerial/coaching debacles respectively after those SC appearances we're hard to go through; most certainly adds to the dues as well.

It's been a blast though and it continues till the day I die! Is this the year??!?!?!?!???

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!:towel:

Edited by Sativika
  • MillerTime 1

On 3/23/2024 at 4:58 AM, Sativika said:

It's been a blast though and it continues till the day I die! Is this the year??!?!?!?!???

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!:towel:

I, for one, hope you don't die this year.

fan since the 90's I was going to school in Penetangishine Ontario, HUGE leafs/habs fans in school.

When we bounced the Leafs in glorious fashion things were.... unconfortable at school for a young

undersize canucks fan. 

I'd like to think I have...some memories

I was born (1970) and raised in East Van. I would sneak my transistor radio into bed to listen to the games (that started at 8pm) as a kid. My first real memory of Canucks excitement was when Sedlbauer scored his 40th goal of the season   (Thanks to grandma and grandpa for "sneaking" me batteries so I could listen). Kearns, Snepsts, Ridley...oh and my Dad with his dumb joke...."Why did the Canucks go to Spanish Banks?? .......to Dunc Wilson

In the early 80s my parents sent me to Wally's Burgers on Kingsway to get the family burgers for dinner. I found 2 tickets on the ground while walking to the burger place. Ended up going to the game with my brother (yes, me, about 12 with my 7 year old brother...no adult) - I was awestruck at the whole thing - the speed, the sounds, the fans.

Gretzky scoring 46 points a game against us, and the year John Garrett earned the nickname "Lotto" for having a GAA of 6.49

Sports Page highlights! I would get up at 6am to watch the repeat of the previous nights show before school

May 2 / 93 - first date with my now ex-wife - a second round playoff game against the Kings - Sunday noon start

Pavel and Gino

Oh, and listening to this, my brother won it in a hockey tournament
Image result for canucks lp record 1970s

t

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/19/2024 at 10:16 AM, smithers joe said:

i've sat behind a pillar in the old furum to watch the canucks of the pchl. been to games at queens park arena to watched the canucks of the whl and watched kurtenbach and schmautz of the newly minted nhl canucks. is that paying my dues?

Anybody that has been a loyal fan for 50plus years of a team that's never won a cup has definitely paid there dues and then some. 

I've been canucks fan since around 73. 

I've also lived in Calgary for 11 years and gone to war with flames fans, been to several canucks games at the saddledome wearing my canucks jersey. I also bought a really nice canucks tshirt and had "Harvey is a fleabag " put on the back. Wore that to the saddledome as well. 

Currently living in oil country and FYI oilers fans are nicer people than flames fans. Flamers such a bunch of babies. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I've been canucks fan since around 73. 

I've also lived in Calgary for 11 years and gone to war with flames fans, been to several canucks games at the saddledome wearing my canucks jersey. I also bought a really nice canucks tshirt and had "Harvey is a fleabag " put on the back. Wore that to the saddledome as well. 

Currently living in oil country and FYI oilers fans are nicer people than flames fans. Flamers such a bunch of babies. 

I interestingly had a different experience had great ones in Calgary for the Flames Canucks game this season, and last season at the Oilers-Rangers game had a belligerent Oiler fan my buddy and I had to get between to keep from swingning on a 60+ year old Ranger fan.

I will note I saw the Flames-Islanders on this seasons trip, and Oilers-Red Wings on last years and no issues arrived from either games there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Canadian_Kanga said:

I, for one, hope you don't die this year.

I'm touched by your sentiments, but there ain't no way on God's green earth (or in Hell!:classic_biggrin:) that I'm on any sort of deathbed. Perhaps a slight misunderstanding; I meant, is this the year that the Canucks win the Stanley Cup.

After re-reading my post and seeing how I worded the last sentence, I can see how it could be misconstrued to mean something else altogether. That's kinda' funny. Thanks for your concern nonetheless, dude!

I am a Canucks fan till the day I die!.......uhhhhh.......ermmmmmmmm..............Is this the year? 😉😀

• Like 1

I was a maple leaf fan in 1964, only because my elementary teacher was Mtl fan and bet our allowance on TO, To won the cup around there. Then my dad picked up a hitch hiker on the hwy 99 , guys car broke down. told us he played for the vancouver canucks in the WHL . I followed the Canucks and when they entered the NHL I was a fan.

still am.

look in the Websters Dictionary for the word "CHOKE" , see the smiling faces of our beloved Canucks!😉

we are all Gluttons for punishment I tells ya.

Pavel & Gino are my all time favorites.....GINO

On 3/20/2024 at 8:25 PM, CaribouCanuck said:

I haven't been a fan nearly as long as lot of other people, but I've been a fan for 20 years now which I feel is not an insignificant amount of time. And I've still followed the team passionately even though all of the bad years and playoff heartbreaks, never losing hope of one day seeing them lift the Stanley Cup, and that's the way it will always be until the day I die. I feel I've payed a decent amount for the time I've been a fan. 

20 years is a big chunk of time.    Glad you got to see the Sedin era.   Things were still hanging on then, to some of the pre-lockout spirit.    And yes anyone who's had to wait from 2011 until now has paid their dues.   The best hockey memories happen in the second season.    Also for those who've only been to a few games, it's not like it isn't a big financial burden (for some folks)  and it could mean the difference between food for the family for a couple weeks.    Or as a young lad, rent, if a hotel and travel is involved.  

Doesn't make you any lesser a fan.     Imagine being  say 10 in 2011 and starting then.     That's not exactly easy either.   Dues for sure have been paid young and old.   I'd love the Canucks to win a cup in the next couple years, for my Father in Law, Unlce's and all those who've already passed and didn't get to see it.    Also imagine the mood on this site will be pretty amazing too.    My parents generation, had six choices growing up.     Those fans that are still around, should be added to the parade.    

Edit:  Saw most of my live games in the 90's and 2000's.    Since moving East (Wife's turn to be close to her family, after the first 15 years) caught all but the covid games in Ott and some in MTL as well live.     Unfortunately moved before the 2011 run...but can say, Ottawa massively supported the Canucks, and has a lot of fans as well (including the towns outside of Ottawa, a lot of Canuck flags in windows in 2011...same thing for the Habs during their bubble run)..  

For the first five years or so, it was like the opposite of going to a Leaf game in the 90's ... in other words a solid 1/3 of the Sens building was wearing our colours.     It was fun to see.   And we could keep up to "Go Sens Go" with "Go Canucks Go!".     Still see a lot of Canuck jerseys, not as many though as the early to mid 2010's though ... there always is two sections that are blue and green, one in the reds from row one up to maybe 20, a slice of Canuck pie, and another good chunk  in the nosebleeds,   Enough to still make it feel a little bit like home. 

Edited by IBatch

20 hours ago, rychicken said:

I'd like to think I have...some memories

I was born (1970) and raised in East Van. I would sneak my transistor radio into bed to listen to the games (that started at 8pm) as a kid. My first real memory of Canucks excitement was when Sedlbauer scored his 40th goal of the season   (Thanks to grandma and grandpa for "sneaking" me batteries so I could listen). Kearns, Snepsts, Ridley...oh and my Dad with his dumb joke...."Why did the Canucks go to Spanish Banks?? .......to Dunc Wilson

In the early 80s my parents sent me to Wally's Burgers on Kingsway to get the family burgers for dinner. I found 2 tickets on the ground while walking to the burger place. Ended up going to the game with my brother (yes, me, about 12 with my 7 year old brother...no adult) - I was awestruck at the whole thing - the speed, the sounds, the fans.

Gretzky scoring 46 points a game against us, and the year John Garrett earned the nickname "Lotto" for having a GAA of 6.49

Sports Page highlights! I would get up at 6am to watch the repeat of the previous nights show before school

May 2 / 93 - first date with my now ex-wife - a second round playoff game against the Kings - Sunday noon start

Pavel and Gino

Oh, and listening to this, my brother won it in a hockey tournament
Image result for canucks lp record 1970s

t

what part of the east end are you from? i know walley's well.

Was born shortly after we were awarded the franchise.
I recall one game slightly when I was so so young.
Never ever seen another game in Vancouver.

Listened to the radio with my Grandma in abbotsford in the early 70's.  Grandma was a Canucks hardcore fan.  She had all the year books.
Moved to Edmonton.
Seen a number of Nucks games here, but listened to hundred and hundreds on the internet
There were so few games on TV from the 80-to 2010ish.
Watch them all on the app now.

Cool memorabilia.  Lots of Canuck year books.  A cool bumper sticker when we changed to a flying skate.  Have a 1982 towel from the finals.   Plus a Trevor Linden "chunky soup" hockey stick that you had to send labels and money to get.  

Recorded the 94 finals...have never watched them.  Still heartbroken losing 3 times in the finals.

So in my lifetime, the Canucks are 60 wins under .500
Couple more years, maybe we return to being a winner.

On 3/19/2024 at 9:16 AM, smithers joe said:

i've sat behind a pillar in the old furum to watch the canucks of the pchl. been to games at queens park arena to watched the canucks of the whl and watched kurtenbach and schmautz of the newly minted nhl canucks. is that paying my dues?

remember the forum, not the date.

I think I’ve paid my dues! Die hard since as young as I can remember, born in 87. I’ve been through all the ups and the downs. The WCE era, sedin era and now the Petey/hughes/miller/demko era. 

Been a fan since 82 when I was 7, and I am pretty sure I cried after getting swept by the Isles. 94 was the worst for me because I was in my teen years and those guys were my heroes as I was playing minor hockey. 2011 hurt, but not as bad as 94 because I had already been through 2 heartbreaking losses, and I think having kids this time around softened the blow somehow. All in all, I'd say I paid my dues a long time ago.

Fan since 89' the Joel Otto kick series win by the flames... That's the beginning of my loathing of Cowtown.  

94' was a heartbreak but was very proud od that team... We were viewed as major underdogs in that series... And we almost won.

West Coast express was a very entertaining team... High event hockey but my god Cloutier just wasn't a clutch goaltender.

2011 team was so talented and balanced.... Was by far the most disappointing to me... Especially because we needed Luongo to not just be great... We needed Hasek like performance.  If we did we would have won.

Yah, I've paid my dues alright.... Not expecting much this playoffs unless some of our bottom 6 step it up big time... Ala Podz, Joshua, Högs, Lafferty.  Regardless will be fun!

GCG!!