[PGT] Sabres at Canucks

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

The other thing to add is if you base "worst player" on +/- that's on you.

I mean, he's down there in the basement with scrubs like Ovi, Jack Hughes, etc.

I didn't say that, Quinn Hughes did as Alf mentioned!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Its a toss up.

Miller is the finisher so he stands out. Not that he doesn't work hard all the time.

But Hughes gets his points mostly from assists. He does all his work before the goal. So its easy to overlook all he does.

I think we shouldn't overlook their role off the ice too, keeping the team at an even keel through the season.   QH is a leader and the captain.   While we may never know what happens behind close doors, he does have the C and deals with the media more.   I suspect he is a big part of the reason they have been so consistent this yr.  No long losing streaks and don't get too excited winning games.  

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It wasn't an oil painting and the lack of scoring is still a bit worrying, but at this point, a win is a win....

Almost as important was seeing Millsy come back out in the 3rd.....

Cause painting with oil is messy...

Was a good game, their goalie was hot. The goals will be there if we keep playing the way we did last night. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

combined with how we've been a 500 hockey team since the All star break. At least this time, it's not a matter of getting into the playoffs but winning the Division.

Just for sjits and giggles, 10-7-3 since ASB. .575 is closer to 600 hockey

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

I’d rather we pump in 5 or 6 goals each night and be able to watch the individual stats pop - but call me crazy, in the long run it’s better for the team to be playing (and winning) close games, regardless of the level of competition.

I think at some point the offense is going to have to pick it up, or it's going to be a short post season.

The defensive play is encouraging, but guys like Lindy, Mik, Garly and Laffy need to contribute a bit more offensively.

We still don't quite look like the team that went into the all-star break, IMO. I'm not blaming the Lindholm deal, but sometimes a team will relax a bit unconsciously, after a major acquisition. Hopefully, this stretch of games shows them that they still have to do all those little things that were making them successful two months ago....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Cause painting with oil is messy...

Was a good game, their goalie was hot. The goals will be there if we keep playing the way we did last night. 

I hope you're right Bishop...because it seems to me like we've been running into a lot of "hot" goalies lately....

I agree that Levi was solid last night, but it also looked to me like the boys hit him right in the logo as often as not. What was the line that Ferraro said about Petey's one-timer on the first PP? "Earlier this season, that puck is in the back of the net".

I had to agree. It just seems like the boys are bit off. Brock had one of those patented tip-in opportunities on a Miller slap-pass (I think it was the same PP) but didn't get enough on it to put it in the net. Later on, he put one through Levi's legs, only to see it go wide. Those were plays he wasn't missing on in the first half of the season.

The good news is, they're getting those chances. I think the boys will likely get their touch back before it's all said and done. Fingers crossed....because I think they have to....

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Edmonton and the Canucks play many of the same teams down the stretch (stars, jets, kings etc). But the Oilers have to play the Maple Leafs this week and the Avs twice. The Oilers vs Canucks game should be a good one.

Oiler final position could easily be determined this week. What surprises me about the Oilers is how lower placed teams can knock them off. To me the Canuck goaltending and defence is superior. Not just the defence man but the overall team defence. Offensively the Oilers can overwhelm but can they do that in a series? I think the Van defence has the same capability and has room to grow better moving forward.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, ploughcat07 said:

My favorite part of the play was seeing Petey be selfish and not try to force the pass. He showed killer instinct to make sure he iced the game.

......but he wasn't selfish just before his first goal, making that wasted pass attempt to Garland that failed when he had a clear wide-open shot to the net while trying to be "a nice guy".    Fortunately he got lucky 30 seconds later on a bounce and popped one in.     Brought back memories of the Sedins and all the wasted shot opportunities they had making needless low-probability passes !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Fans need to realize you’re not gonna dominate teams on the scoresheet this time of year unless they’re a bottom feeder. Teams have had all season to lock down their defensive games and they’re battling hard to stay in the fight.

I thought the Canucks did a great job of staying calm and composed and keeping pretty much everything to the outside.

Bang on! Exactly this. Our forecheck was also great and where it needs to be. Other teams are coming to play and are fighting. We elevated our game in key areas last night the way we needed to in order get some traction. DeSmith also needed a win.

Expectations with some are unrealistic. It starts early in GDTs when people say, oh, we should dominate these guys.

It really should be ... we need to play better, play our game, minimize mistakes, find our gears, and get a win. If we're expecting to dominate teams and not get scored on, that's a set-up for disappointment.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

He's got 82 pts. So majority (66) of his pts are helping the team win.   On the losses he only scored 16 pts.  

Not surprisingly when your best player doesn't score, your team tend to lose.  He's a difference maker.  

He is a major contributor to this teams success. When he’s not scoring we genuinely have a hard time winning.

2021-22 he had 38 pointless games in 80GP. Of those 38 pointless games 21 were regulation losses. We managed to win 10 games all season when he didnt get a point.

His first 25 games where they cleaned house, he had 14 pointless games that resulted in a regulation loss, every single loss up to that point. Only won 1 game where he was held pointless, otherwise when he put up points we won 7 of 8. Up to game 46, where he finally began to find his offensive game, he was pointless 27 time in the first 46 games….. guess how many regulation losses…… 18. His worst season as a Canuck, yet we only missed by 5 points….

This was the turning point in his career that has shot him to the top tier in the NHL. He learned a valuable lesson about training camp, being there early and not last minute. The following year he was early and the results showed. People blame Benning for the down seasons, but completely forget, there are growing pains to go through, lessons to learn, what it takes to be a true pro night in and night out. Last season was hard with injuries and having the worst goaltending in the league, but our players overall had pretty good seasons. This year, everyone was at camp early and we shot out of the gates like a bat out of hell and this was learned through experience and we set the tone well before camp.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Seems like I am one of the few who would rather draw Vegas in the first round. I think the Canucks match up well against them, rather than playing one of these red hot teams.

I agree, of all the teams in the west playoff spots, right now, vegas is the best matchup for van, imo.

Now, if stone comes back iy might be different.  However, I think van can out skate the hell out of them

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think at some point the offense is going to have to pick it up, or it's going to be a short post season.

The defensive play is encouraging, but guys like Lindy, Mik, Garly and Laffy need to contribute a bit more offensively.

We still don't quite look like the team that went into the all-star break, IMO. I'm not blaming the Lindholm deal, but sometimes a team will relax a bit unconsciously, after a major acquisition. Hopefully, this stretch of games shows them that they still have to do all those little things that were making them successful two months ago....

Expected goals is trending up lately …. so we got that going for us

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

He's got 82 pts. So majority (66) of his pts are helping the team win.   On the losses he only scored 16 pts.  

Not surprisingly when your best player doesn't score, your team tend to lose.  He's a difference maker.  

We have 18 losses this year (feels weird, but nice saying that), so 16 points in 18 games. Still a good clip.

13 hours ago, The Duke said:

Nice win against a surging, desperate Sabres team.  Petey and Hughes show up in a big way.  We’re tough to beat when they do. 

A good win for DeSmith as well. Mikheyev's skating really continues to improve too. I was really blown away how strong his knee looked last night. He must be doing a lot of edge work/drills in practice or off-time. 

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I hope you're right Bishop...because it seems to me like we've been running into a lot of "hot" goalies lately....

I agree that Levi was solid last night, but it also looked to me like the boys hit him right in the logo as often as not. What was the line that Ferraro said about Petey's one-timer on the first PP? "Earlier this season, that puck is in the back of the net".

I had to agree. It just seems like the boys are bit off. Brock had one of those patented tip-in opportunities on a Miller slap-pass (I think it was the same PP) but didn't get enough on it to put it in the net. Later on, he put one through Levi's legs, only to see it go wide. Those were plays he wasn't missing on in the first half of the season.

The good news is, they're getting those chances. I think the boys will likely get their touch back before it's all said and done. Fingers crossed....because I think they have to....

I dunno.

I saw it differently. Quite solid imo. Seemed like a balanced team effort with our leaders, leading the way. 

You're right about chances...This article states that the 'high-danger scoring chances were 26-7 in all situations for Vancouver'

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/back-to-our-identity-canucks-take-step-in-right-direction-with-solid-effort/

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Quite solid imo. Seemed like a balanced team effort with our leaders, leading the way.

Exactly how I saw it too. We elevated our game in key areas. For me, our forecheck looked great. We did what everyone said we needed to in that game. 

• Cheers 3

If Mikheyev keeps playing like that we’ve suddenly got another solid top 6 winger. He looked fast and physical last night and it didn’t feel like the play would die on his stick. If Lindholm can somehow get on a roll as well we will be a tough out in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 4