[PGT] Sabres at Canucks

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We’ve literally been winning games all season by doing that exact same thing.

Sometimes teams are gonna battle back and make it close, but you don’t need to be trading chances in a tight game.

Fans need to realize you’re not gonna dominate teams on the scoresheet this time of year unless they’re a bottom feeder. Teams have had all season to lock down their defensive games and they’re battling hard to stay in the fight.

I thought the Canucks did a great job of staying calm and composed and keeping pretty much everything to the outside.

Yes, exactly.

5 hours ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

Are we losing games that way?

What’s our record when leading after 2?

Dude we were perfect when leading after 2

since the all star break we have crapped the bed 4 times

Our scoring has dropped as well as our power play 

we are 10-7 as well

we def are on a downward trend…

its a little disconcerting 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Fuck To devil with the Oilers. Canucks are winning with basically their entire roster. I like their chances vs any first round opponent

Chances are good against anyone considering our record but I'll get a way more clear feeling as we narrow down our opponent and how we play during the last 4 or 5 games.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Chances are good against anyone considering our record but I'll get a way more clear feeling as we narrow down our opponent and how we play during the last 4 or 5 games.

I mean the only team close is the team that couldn’t beat anyone for a month and a half, their record is far more questionable than ours. And they have 3 back to backs still. 

46 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Dude we were perfect when leading after 2

since the all star break we have crapped the bed 4 times

Our scoring has dropped as well as our power play 

we are 10-7 as well

we def are on a downward trend…

its a little disconcerting 

We won and are in first by a lot. I guess we could go back to Benning/Brod. Those were such fun years. 

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We won and are in first by a lot. I guess we could go back to Benning/Brod. Those were such fun years. 

We have a good fucking hockey team that is finding its way. We can beat anybody 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

......but he wasn't selfish just before his first goal, making that wasted pass attempt to Garland that failed when he had a clear wide-open shot to the net while trying to be "a nice guy".    Fortunately he got lucky 30 seconds later on a bounce and popped one in.     Brought back memories of the Sedins and all the wasted shot opportunities they had making needless low-probability passes !

Yeah those usless hall of fame Sedins wasting all those chances.... good riddence to em...

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Yea but he falls down a lot.

Haha, I was thinking about that the other day.

He draws the most penalties on the team.

Keep falling EP.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Strawbone said:

If Mikheyev keeps playing like that we’ve suddenly got another solid top 6 winger. He looked fast and physical last night and it didn’t feel like the play would die on his stick. If Lindholm can somehow get on a roll as well we will be a tough out in the playoffs. 

Mik has definitely picked up his game, especially the last couple. 

He's playing really well. 

I was joking with my buddy last night, calling them the HOS line. (the hands of stone line) Lol. 

If Mik, Lindholm and Lafferty can break the ice, we're looking real good! 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think the frustration with Petey is he will put together a 3 pt night against Buffalo but he will be invisible against the top teams. Maybe Garland on his wing helps because that line did look good tonight. Although I like the idea of the Joshua - Blueger - Garland line being reunited once Joshua comes back.

Despite Dahlin's goal I though Lindholm played well. He was engaged the whole game. He should be on PP1 instead of Suter.

Agree.

Lindholm had some nice plays over the course of the game. Yes, there was a give-away and there was the play in question where Dahlin scored the first goal.

Somewhat understandable as the play was 4 on 4 at the time. A bit more room on the ice. The Sabres were snapping the puck around with some authority.

Dahlin receives the puck and makes a hard change of direction and flat footed Lindholm and gets around him. We should still have been okay as Hronek was back and he was actually in a good defensive position ...... until he inexplicably decided to skate out of the play.

Hronek is our weakest defender. Though he does play well with Hughes.

Edited by Artemus

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Oiler final position could easily be determined this week. What surprises me about the Oilers is how lower placed teams can knock them off. To me the Canuck goaltending and defence is superior. Not just the defence man but the overall team defence. Offensively the Oilers can overwhelm but can they do that in a series? I think the Van defence has the same capability and has room to grow better moving forward.

The Oilers' powerplay can be a real game changer and hard to defend. Staying out of the box is critical playing them. 5 on 5 its a lot closer and their defence and golatending do seem to have lapses.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I mean the only team close is the team that couldn’t beat anyone for a month and a half, their record is far more questionable than ours. And they have 3 back to backs still. 

You mean the Oilers? We were talking playoffs where we will most certainly not face them first round. We will be facing the Kings, Vegas, Nashville, Minny, or St. Louis. 

More meant that matchup wise we look good on paper against anyone based on our season's work. Like most seasons though we'll get a clearer, perhaps more accurate picture of the actual matchups based on how all the teams look closing out the season. I'm talking mostly about us. I don't think we're playing our best yet but I hope we get there by seasons end.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

They play 16 games including... 

Avs twice

Leafs

Jets

Canucks

Blues 

Stars

Kings

Knights

That's 9 games that are pretty tough. 

Canucks have 13 games left and play

Kings twice

Knights twice

Oilers 

Jets 

6 games that are tough... 

Oilers are 8 pts back with 3 games in hand while we hold the tie breaker with more reg wins

That means they need to not only tie our win percentage but need to go 4-0-1 better than us

They would need to make up 9 pts in 16 games... 

How many points did they gain on us during their crazy run? 

Like I said, it's going to be close, probably a matter of a point or two.  The wild card on this is that the winner of the Pacific may very well end up #2 in the conference and up with a very good, very hot Nashville team, in which case maybe getting #2 in the division and getting LA is a better matchup 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

They play 16 games including... 

Avs twice

Leafs

Jets

Canucks

Blues 

Stars

Kings

Knights

That's 9 games that are pretty tough. 

Canucks have 13 games left and play

Kings twice

Knights twice

Oilers 

Jets 

6 games that are tough... 

Oilers are 8 pts back with 3 games in hand while we hold the tie breaker with more reg wins

That means they need to not only tie our win percentage but need to go 4-0-1 better than us

They would need to make up 9 pts in 16 games... 

How many points did they gain on us during their crazy run? 

Well I just looked.. 

To give them the benefit of the doubt, I looked starting Dec 21st which is the beginning of their 16 game win steak. They've made up 10 points in the last 36 games which includes a 16 game win streak. 

That means while playing at a historical win rate, they've made up 0.28 pts / game while playing a pretty passive schedule. Meanwhile, the Canucks regressed back to the mean and started losing some games that I thought they deserved to win. That means, even if the Oilers continue this torrid pace, they would make up 4.5 pts by seasons end. 

I guess mathematically the Oilers can catch the Canucks but I would disagree that there is a high chance. 

In fact it's a very low probability. 

Plus oils have 3 back to back, including Nux on the final game.  

Nux have one back to back left. 

• Cheers 1