[PGT] Sabres at Canucks

9 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Jost had knocked Petey down along the boards and then gave him an extra cross check well he was still down. Refs were ok with that, glad that Meyers wasn’t.

After Myers crushed him, Jost was pretty quiet for the rest of the game. It was funny watching the Sabres get outshot, outhit, and outdrawn in the dot. They were dominated by the Canucks for long stretches of the game. The Sabres reminded me of where the Canucks were a scant few years back. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

After Myers crushed him, Jost was pretty quiet for the rest of the game. It was funny watching the Sabres get outshot, outhit, and outdrawn in the dot. They were dominated by the Canucks for long stretches of the game. The Sabres reminded me of where the Canucks were a scant few years back. 

With the draft position gifts that they got, they should be better than us, or that's what the tankist crowd said.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Jost had knocked Petey down along the boards and then gave him an extra cross check well he was still down. Refs were ok with that, glad that Meyers wasn’t.

Yep, saw it, but still think, he mixed it up with Hronek, who just grabbed and held him. It was a while after the Petey incident, and after that a few shifts later Myers nailed him...

I'll watch it back, when I get time.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DexM94 said:

When everyone healthy 

Hoglander Petey Garland
Mikheyev Miller Boeser
Joshua Lindholm Podkolzin
Suter Blueger Lafferty
DiGuisseppe

Hughes Hronek
Zadorov Soucy
Juulsen Myers
Cole

Demko
DeSmith

Still think we'll get to see Lindholm on Peteys wing again at some stage...

Either with Garland as he looked good there yesterday, or to united the Joshua, Bluger/Suter, Garland 3rd line...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Off topic. He got an assist. And I only noticed him a couple of times during the entire game. Wasn't Owen Power supposed to be this incredible defensive partner for Dahlin?

He did play over 24 minutes, but honestly, I didn't even notice him in the play most of the time. He was +1, no hits, 1 blocked shot. His season stats are good. You'd think someone who's 6'6" would stand out a bit more. Related to that Bowen Byram. He at least blocked shots, had a hit and shot on goal, and was -1 for his efforts. Another top flight defenceman that looked a little invisible at times.

They do have the potential though to have an exceptional D in a few years...

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd sit Hronek. He's made some lazy plays lately. His "defense" on the first Sabres goal was atrocious. Definitely a player being carried by Hughes, as he's considerably less effective without Quinn. 

Glad someone else see’s this. To me he looks tired and uninspired. Let him rest a game or two and bring Jules in. It’s not a bad time to start rotating the D a bit. We need jump and energy to close out the season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Yea. Shades of Keith Ballard!

Ballard and Huggy's body types are different  Huggy can conceivably put on 20 pounds of muscle, but I'm guessing it'd affect his game some. Toning ones body for peak performance is one thing. Putting on mass can change things.

Huggy's shown he can hit. Something he can add to his arsenal for sure. But not too often. Don't want Huggy off for any length of time because of an injury related issue from hitting.

9 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I know we Nux fans had it tough this past decade, but imagine being a Sabres fan. 

Screenshot_20240320-013022.png

Sabres are an up and coming team to watch. I mean they're D is set for many years to come. And you can take into account there prospects and future draft prospect too.

Our 1970 expansion cousins have a bright future!

8 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Oilers are 8 points behind us with 3 games in hand on us. Will be close right to the end for the Division title. I’d like to win the division. 
Personally I don’t want to win the presidents trophy. Too much unnecessary pressure as being the top team in the league. 

For this season, it doesn't much matter to me where they end up positionally in the standings. Just so long as they get in the playoffs. I'm confident that's happening for sure!

I don't expect the Canucks to win or lose a game deliberately just to give themselves a favourable matchup for the 1st round. We fans, and the whole of the Canuck organization want to win games. That's it.

We've 13 games left and of those, 6 are against teams with very little to no hope for a wildcard spot; Habs, Flames, Ducks and Coyotes will play us hard. Basically 'cuz they wanna prove that they can compete with the big, bad Canuck, and want to play spoiler too.

And the rest; Stars, Kings, Golden Knights, Oilers, and Jets, just wanna beat our asses in general cause one, we're the big, bad Canucks, and..............They wanna come into the playoffs on a high note.  Can't blame them. So do we, right?

5 hours ago, DexM94 said:

When everyone healthy 

Hoglander Petey Garland
Mikheyev Miller Boeser
Joshua Lindholm Podkolzin
Suter Blueger Lafferty
DiGuisseppe

Hughes Hronek
Zadorov Soucy
Juulsen Myers
Cole

Demko
DeSmith

2 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I like this, with Mik/Suter and Garland/Podz able to be swapped when you want different looks. Would still be a good set up.

only change is Soucy should be on the left with Juulson on his right, and Zads with Myers on the 3rd so that all d are playing their correct positions (or Juulson with Zads on 3rd, whatever works).

I'm interested in what's gonna happen, forward line wise when Daks gets back in the line up. DexM94's thoughts of such are intriguing to be sure.

- Petey centering Garly and Hogs looked good last night.

- Breaking up Daks and Garly might be questionable as them with Blueger were a staple all season long in our earlier successes.

- Having Lindholm between two big, physical wingers in Daks and Podz, who've both speed, checking and scoring ability is certainly worth a look. 

- Bluegar between Laffy and Suter looks to be a solid 4th line. I'm guessing Blueger's scoring will decline with these line mates. but it's all for the good of the team, right?

I agree with NorthWestNuck's proposed D changes from your suggested D core pairings. Seeing as RT likes the lefty/righty component of a D core, I'm guessing that's what it'll end up being. However as Cole can play both sides and has done so admirably all season, he could be paired with Soucy or Myers. But either Juul's or Cole will do the job, of which I'm in no doubt.

So far, so good. I'm guessing JT Miller, being the warrior he is, will be playing against the Habs on Thursday. Albeit whilst nursing a bruised ankle from that blocked shot he made last night. Gotta love him, eh? Soooooo glad he's ours!

Edited by Sativika
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Hronek also had a crack at him.

I loved it.

That should've been called (the extra cross check when he was down). Punk ass loser.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Glad someone else see’s this. To me he looks tired and uninspired. Let him rest a game or two and bring Jules in. It’s not a bad time to start rotating the D a bit. We need jump and energy to close out the season. 

I think as the team inches closer to the playoffs, Tocchet will sit players to rest guys up for the playoffs. The fact that Juulsen is the Canucks seventh defenseman speaks volumes on how much better the team is now, and how good the coaches are at developing talent.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

6 hours ago, filthy animal said:

I remember when Ferraro was starting out his broadcasting career in 1040 for the morning show. Its insane how we had him on the radio everyday for a season ( might be two?) Glad that guy is back in some capacity calling Canucks games. Heres hoping he'll be calling some in May June

Pratt was the worst and so was the Moj

Pratt at one time, was on every week day with Taylor. early 2000s. Talked a wee bit about hockey but mostly about who was cuter; Jan or Marsha Brady.

Hey! Don; I want an acknowledgment on that one. 😅 Send it to Canuck's Fan Forum, K?

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We'll I guess that must maker Lind-🏠 feeling pretty bad looking in the mirror each morning - being at a whopping Minus -15 (Ranked  #814 worst +/- player out of all 885 Skaters in the entire National Hockey League !).............. with the next worst player on our team only being at -2.   

The other thing to add is if you base "worst player" on +/- that's on you.

I mean, he's down there in the basement with scrubs like Ovi, Jack Hughes, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

was it just me or did Garland look GREAT on Petey's wing ?

He did.  Seems like Petey benefited from the chaos Garland and Hoggy were creating around the net, even though it's not the game he normally plays.  On paper that line shouldn't work:  two small wingers. etc.  On the ice it looked pretty damn good.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Jaimito said:

EDM isn't losing 5, they've been on a tear for the last couple of months, while the Canucks have started to stutter.

IMO, VAN needs to win 10 of their last 13 to stay ahead of EDM. Playing 0.500 hockey down the stretch is a scary thought.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

He did.  Seems like Petey benefited from the chaos Garland and Hoggy were creating around the net, even though it's not the game he normally plays.  On paper that line shouldn't work:  two small wingers. etc.  On the ice it looked pretty damn good.

plus it keeps the D-men busy or should I say dizzy trying to find the puck with G & H twisting and turning in the corners and EP can have some open space in the slot 

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

He sure did. It really takes the focus off Petey a lot because Garland's everywhere and draws the attention to him.

Loved it.

Maybe we need to flip these lines on their head if Garland and Petey are a fit.

We all know that the line of Joshua-Blueger-Garland was our best line alot of nights. Garland and Joshua clearly have something special. So why not move those two up with Petey?

Joshua Pettersson Garland

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Suter Lindholm Mikheyev

Podkolzin Blueger Lafferty

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 3

Just now, DeNiro said:

Maybe we need to flip these lines on their head if Garland and Petey are a fit.

We all know that the line of Joshua-Blueger-Garland was our best best line alot of nights. Garland and Joshua clearly have something special. So why not move those two up with Petey?

Joshua Pettersson Garland

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Suter Lindholm Mikheyev

Podkolzin Blueger Lafferty

Can't wait to see Joshua and Garland with Petey.  That could be the final piece of the puzzle and Tocchet has to try it.

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Can't wait to see Joshua and Garland with Petey.  That could be the final piece of the puzzle and Tocchet has to try it.

I’ve always thought Petey needed a big bodied player with some skill to play with. 

Bumping Joshua up probably is gonna increase his payday but I’d love to see him and Garly with Petey.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

We gotta stop taking our foot off the gas and play dump and chase when we have leads…

we’ve been losing games that way letting teams back into games that way

i hope Lindy can figure it out soon -

he needs to take his game to the next level 

Are we losing games that way?

What’s our record when leading after 2?

• ThereItIs 1