Meanwhile... the guys we should have in our top 6 vs the ones we get stuck with...

DexM94

4 hours ago, DexM94 said:

well, the return of Toffoli's trade indicated that the price wasn't a top prospect.

That's because WPG didn't have to unload salary. CGY didn't take back Kuzmenko out of the goodness of their heart. Even if they thought Kuzmenko was valuable, they knew Canucks were in a tough spot and didn't have to pay to acquire him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Both Monahan/Toffoli were players I wanted. Made trade threads for both of them. I think we would have been a better team if we had both of them instead of Lindholm. 7 pts in 20 games doesn’t scream like a win. If people say it takes time to adjust then how does Monahan have 15 pts in 20 games.

But Toffoli is so good he has one goal more? I'm more concerned if he shows up in the playoffs. He is better than Monahan in face off %.

Lets see how the season ends and how the playoffs go.

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

But Toffoli is so good he has one goal more? I'm more concerned if he shows up in the playoffs. He is better than Monahan in face off %.

Lets see how the season ends and how the playoffs go.

Lindholm is the better faceoff player, better special teams option and has shown throughout his career to produce higher totals offensively. Canucks will be just fine.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

What are you talking about? We know exactly what the price to beat was. Winnipeg paid a 2nd and a 3rd. Nowhere in the same stratosphere as Lekkerimaki.

Doesn't mean they didn't ask more from Canucks?

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Doesn't mean they didn't ask more from Canucks?

You're gonna have to explain that. Being earnest here and maybe there's something I'm missing, but if I'm a GM all I care about is who's offering the better package, why would I care who's offering it? The only possible exceptions I could think of is if we're talking about division rivals vs inter-conference, or if one team is cap strapped and you think you can squeeze them for more, and even then the difference would not be enough to account for a 2nd+3rd vs Lekkerimaki.

Edited by MatchesMalone

3 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

You're gonna have to explain that. Being earnest here and maybe there's something I'm missing, but if I'm a GM all I care about is who's offering the better package, why would I care who's offering it? The only possible exceptions I could think of is if we're talking about division rivals vs inter-conference, or if one team is cap strapped and you think you can squeeze them for more, and even then the difference would not be enough to account for a 2nd+3rd vs Lekkerimaki.

Yes and no.... If you've got something several other are inquiring about, you can afford put out proposals and see what sticks...

If somebody offers a 2nd and a 3rd for a player, why would you not try and squeeze another bidder? you've already got the 2nd + 3rd, so try and see how hungry the other bidder is...?

We don't have a 1st this round, so maybe they wanted either one of our top prospects (could be Lekkerimaki, Willander, Podz, Hogs or who knows or next years 1st)... especially since cap would have to be retained...

So yes you are right, any GM would go for the better package, and that could be the package they asked Canucks for... 

14 minutes ago, DSVII said:

With what cap space would we facilitate those moves ?

Lindholm 4.9M 

Monahan 1.9M

by picking the right guy you save 3M (for Toffoli ?)  and you get a guy with 15pts in 20games

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes and no.... If you've got something several other are inquiring about, you can afford put out proposals and see what sticks...

If somebody offers a 2nd and a 3rd for a player, why would you not try and squeeze another bidder? you've already got the 2nd + 3rd, so try and see how hungry the other bidder is...?

We don't have a 1st this round, so maybe they wanted either one of our top prospects (could be Lekkerimaki, Willander, Podz, Hogs or who knows or next years 1st)... especially since cap would have to be retained...

So yes you are right, any GM would go for the better package, and that could be the package they asked Canucks for... 

Yeah I'm not buying it. Maybe it's just a difference in evaluations. I've always been really high on JL, but to me the jump from 2nd+3rd to Lekkerimaki is an entirely different quality/type of trade, not just a difference in quantity. New Jersey would need to add a significant piece for that to be any kind of real conversation (particularly keeping in mind that Toffoli is a rental).

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 2

Just now, MatchesMalone said:

Yeah I'm not buying it. Maybe it's just a difference in evaluations. I've always been really high on JL, but to me the jump from 2nd+3rd to Lekkerimaki is an entirely different quality/type of trade, not just a difference in quantity. New Jersey would need to add a significant piece for that to be any kind of real conversation.

Yeah likely... maybe they did offer something else...

Or maybe Podz or Hogs was part of the conversation...

You may very well be right, my point was just we don't really know for sure... I'm willing to give management the benefit of doubt, as they have been good while they've been here... 

Its definitely normally a lot easier to squeeze teams at TDL, when they are loading up....

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DexM94 said:

Lindholm 4.9M 

Monahan 1.9M

by picking the right guy you save 3M (for Toffoli ?)  and you get a guy with 15pts in 20games

I mean sure, but by TDL we already had Lindhom on the roster, it wouldn't have worked unless you traded him away, and I don't see Lindholm as a bad acquisition. He's more versatile and valuable than Monahan IMO. 

Toffoli definitely hurts. If only Myers or Soucy was on LTIR on his pre-TDL injury, but that's luck.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And to be honest, I'd rather him find his game late in the season, and knocking our socks off in the Playoffs.

Unlike Loui at least Lindholm wins faceoffs, and is contributing in other ways. It's not like he hasn't had chances, they haven't been going in.

There's always a scapegoat on the Canucks. When Brock was struggling there was cries of "trade him!" The guy has 36 goals and 30 assists, and there still those that scream "trade him!"

Some are still upset at the Hronek trade. I wonder how many on CDC and CFF if they were given a choice between a boat and the mystery box how many would take the mystery box?

Ooo, mystery box!

mr-burns-box.gif

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

tumblr_mae2alBzys1qgk2gi540.gif.91f6fa6d925ff6f667a103483c1ae7a1.gif

That tiger leapt like 6 feet in the air to get at that guy. Supposedly the rider lost a few fingers in the ordeal. Note how the elephant turns his head to give the tiger a clear shot. 😂

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2

With regards to all the trade talk going on before the All Star break; Talk was heavy with us looking to get a defenseman, a centreman, and a scoring winger. Zadarov, Lindholm, Guentzal were the respective names most associated with us.

- Zads was in it 'cuz we wanted more heft on the back end.  

- Both Lindholm and Guentzal 'cuz, not only would they fill the need with the respective positions, they are familiar players to management. 

I recall the Flames organization voicing that they didn't want to trade any of their players to division rivals. In particular us and maybe the Oilers.

But for some reason, we acquired Zads for a 2024 3rd and a 2026 5th. Guess they had a change of heart and 'cuz they got some assets for their rebuild.

'Hmmmm...........JR/PA want Lindholm too, huh? As much as we don't want to trade with the Canucks, let's see what else we can get. They gotta unload some cap to acquire him. Okay. Take on Kuzy. That's doing JR/PA a favour. Let's just see how desperately they want to unload Kuzy and acquire Lindholm. We definitely want their 1st.........Wow. 2 promising prospects and a conditional 4th? Yea! Now we're talking!'   Paraphrasing of course!

With the Lindholm acquisition, it had to be kind of a cap dump situation. Kinda' like the Patrick Marleau cap dump a few  ears ago; a conditional 1st and a 7th to the Canes, and the Canes giving a 6th in return. As we know, that was a cap dump so the Laffs could sign Marner at the time.  Our trade to get our grubby little hands on Lindholm took this kind of trade. 

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you wanna look at it, we couldn't make Guentzal a Canuck; however temporary that might've been. Yea. Projected a rental, but with JR/PA at the helm? Nuthin' would surprise me with those two! 

Thankfully JR/PA's stern position regarding keeping our top prospect Swedes is a testament of their commitment to the future of our Canucks. Yippeeeeeee!

And really, other than the awesome free agent signings last summer, ya' gotta realize that our in season trades earlier on were key as well; Pearson for DeSmith, Lafferty for a 5th, and some depth trades in acquiring  Friedman for Boner and the Boho one that eventually got us Hronek.

I thought the acquisition of Ethan Bear and Lane Pederson for a 5th was pretty good too. Too bad about RHD Bear though, but we did get bigger in Zadarov. Though he a lefty, still good tradeoff!

Some brilliant cap dumps in Motte, Hamonic , Beauviller; Also the promising prospects acquired accompanying trades in Bloom, Raty; I mean there were minor blunders along the way, Stillman, Lazaar, Dermot, Studnika, But JR/PA's body of work thus far, you gotta say, is pretty damn fine for sure.

Man I rambled a lot in this post. 

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel:

Edited by Sativika
  • Cheers 1

The expectations are too unrealistic for someone who is on the 3rd line and 2nd powerplay unit.

Monahan would probably have similar points as Lindholm if he was on our 3rd line and 2nd powerplay unit.

Also, I'd rather have Lindholm in the playoffs. There is more to hockey than points.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

having chemistry for 10 games doesnt really mean much. he only had like 2 goals in the bubble playoff.. hardly call that chemistry. EP seemed to have chemistry with kuzmenko and mikheyev last season too? did that mean anything? toffoli was 100% not available at the time of the lindholm trade.. he prolly wasn't going to be available till the TDL.. and we simply didn't have the cap space available at TDL even if we have the asset required for the trade and would require multiple retention that would cost additional asset and even then they still would need to move around 1mil just to fit him in.

The TT legend continues.   Let's bring back Geoff Sanderson.   

• Haha 2