Quinn Hughes | #43 | LD

Jess

Hughes up to a league-leading +30 now. Second place is Hronek at +28 and Forsling is 3rd with +25. For the record, Daniel Sedin and Christian Ehrhoff share the Canuck record of +36 in 2009-10.

• Vintage 1

Looking back over the Rutherford-Allvin and staff regime, I believe the most pivotal decision they made was to extend Miller, knowing it would mean trading away Horvat. As a captain, Bo always seemed like head cheerleader rather than a fiery, competitive leader. When you think about it, Bo was captain for four-and-a-half years and the team never got better and they didn't look or feel like a cohesive team. Now that's not to say it was all on Bo that the team sucked, but the team clearly need a bit more fire, a bit more take-no-prisoners attitude, and a clear commitment to the good of the team. Enter JT as the obvious fire-bearer, but equally worthy of the role of leader is new captain Quinn Hughes, the unquestioned leader of this team. He is continuing to grow week by week despite the heaviest of forechecking. I think the collective management got their heads together and decided that if anybody had to go, it had to be Bo, and if anybody was going to be the first one off the landing craft, it would be JT, but the general, the brains of the outfit, would be Hughes. Simply, if Bo stays, the Canucks would be fighting for a wildcard spot.

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Looking back over the Rutherford-Allvin and staff regime, I believe the most pivotal decision they made was to extend Miller, knowing it would mean trading away Horvat. As a captain, Bo always seemed like head cheerleader rather than a fiery, competitive leader. When you think about it, Bo was captain for four-and-a-half years and the team never got better and they didn't look or feel like a cohesive team. Now that's not to say it was all on Bo that the team sucked, but the team clearly need a bit more fire, a bit more take-no-prisoners attitude, and a clear commitment to the good of the team. Enter JT as the obvious fire-bearer, but equally worthy of the role of leader is new captain Quinn Hughes, the unquestioned leader of this team. He is continuing to grow week by week despite the heaviest of forechecking. I think the collective management got their heads together and decided that if anybody had to go, it had to be Bo, and if anybody was going to be the first one off the landing craft, it would be JT, but the general, the brains of the outfit, would be Hughes. Simply, if Bo stays, the Canucks would be fighting for a wildcard spot.

It did not look like Bo was an issue from the outside but 20/20 hindsight proves that out.  Rutherford/Allvin were right but man did they take a risk.  Gotta respect that.  

12 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Me too!

LOVE the end ... Garly "give me a hug"

That never shows in the stats but it is part of the culture this team is building. Garland is a huge part of it. At the close of every game he is by the door. My appreciation for what he brings to this team has grown thru the season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Generational indeed !!!

This is honestly one of the best videos to show someone who doesn't understand Quinn's game. Funny that it's obviously just some kid in his mom's basement making the vid though lol

For points in a season for a defenseman, Quinn now has the top 3 seasons as a Canuck.

Points (D) Pts
Quinn Hughes (22-23) 76
Quinn Hughes (21-22) 68
Quinn Hughes (23-24) 64
Doug Lidster (86-87) 63
Dennis Kearns (76-77) 60
Rick Lanz (83-84) 57
Paul Reinhart (88-89) 57
Paul Reinhart (89-90) 57
Dale Tallon (70-71) 56
Jyrki Lumme (93-94) 55
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hughes passed Lidster in all-time Canuck scoring today.  Nearing 3 other Canuck D legends too.  Currently 5th in points all-time for a Canuck defenseman, do you think he gets to #1 next year?

11  Alexander Edler D 925 99 310 409
24  Mattias Ohlund D 770 93 232 325
25  Jyrki Lumme D 579 83 238 321
26  Dennis Kearns D 677 31 290 321
27  Quinn Hughes D 340 38 271 309
28  Alexander Mogilny RW 312 139 169 308
29  Doug Lidster D 666 65 242 307
Edited by Wilbur

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Hughes passed Lidster in all-time Canuck scoring today.  Nearing 3 other Canuck D legends too.  Currently 5th in points all-time for a Canuck defenseman, do you think he gets to #1 next year?

11  Alexander Edler D 925 99 310 409
24  Mattias Ohlund D 770 93 232 325
25  Jyrki Lumme D 579 83 238 321
26  Dennis Kearns D 677 31 290 321
27  Quinn Hughes D 340 38 271 309
28  Alexander Mogilny RW 312 139 169 308
29  Doug Lidster D 666 65 242 307

Barring injury, I think it's a pretty safe bet he'll pass Edler next year.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Barring injury, I think it's a pretty safe bet he'll pass Edler next year.

agree.  He's on pace for 30/31 more this year.  71 pts next is not a stretch at all.  Crazy, seems like yesterday he was cutting his teeth alongside Luke Schenn.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw an interview with Hughes and he needs a boost. I think he takes the loses too personally which

is on one hand a sign of a true leader but on the other hand too much to ask of someone so young. 

I just wonder sometimes if the support staff are being proactive enough in looking into the "small details"

off the ice. 

He may just need a rest and a reset but how is he like this right now? I want to reach out and say to him "Its 

just one game kid, yes we(the fans) can be cu*ts but we love you long time the next day. We call out the 

mistakes and say the wrong things because we are heated." and then hug the guy because he is the best thing

to happen to the Canucks and to the city of Vacouver. Maybe one of the greatest of all the sports played in Van.

My point is are the supporting role players aware of this? and is Quinn going under the radar too much? Because 

of his humility, which is his greatest attribute, do we sometimes allow him to go unnoticed?

If I were a support staff member I would want him to almost be happy hes flying under the radar right now. 

Fu*king enjoy it while you can kid, because your a legend in the hockey world and you will have to kick at the

peasantry from your high horse when your properly celebrated the way you should be. Your better than Makar

and i would argue that Makar no longer belongs on the S tier with your BECAUSE of you. His talent level is not 

at par with yours. 

Not even really about the amount of attention but it might be a factor as in a bigger city he would have alot more 

attention, but again he is humble so maybe its the wrong fit.

In close I just think he needs a boost, I think the whole team does after losing to COL. I mean i didnt even play 

and i needed a boost. Im just hoping the supporting actors are playing their roles and being proactive.

Edited by Shirotashi