What are everyone’s realistic expectations in the playoffs this year?

Realistically, we will see at least two home games.

Do think this team can win the cup.   A lot would need to go right, but it's a possibility.    Realistic, history has shown it takes multiple attempts.    Capwise, we won't see a better opportunity then we have this year and next until EP is 29/30.   By then the team won't look the same.   Truly think they are doing the right things to get the best we can hope for now and next year.   Why not a cup?   It takes time in most cases.   But not always.   CHI and PIT (Crosby's first cup) good examples.     The teams not without its flaws, but they aren't any glaring ones either.   Like Brayden Point "pointed out", the Canucks have all their bases covered where it matters to be a championship team right now.    To me this season is already a huge success.   Zadarov was a massive win, Soucy in the summer.   They've done an incredible job in a short period of time.   It's not "realistic" to think that's going to happen every year.  

Won't be easy.  Second  round would be an exclamation point.   Anymore is absolute gravy.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

I will say a competitive 2nd round exit. This will be a good learning experience for the core to understand that the playoffs are an entirely different animal. Preparing themselves for the following 1-5 years of cup contention.

I hope every fan just appreciates this year after grinding through the past 10 years.

While this season has been a wonderful  ride I think having expectations of a long cup ride are unrealistic. Now i hope I am wrong on that for sure but we will need a few things to go our way to be able to go deep. 

Every playoff season is about who you have to play and who you can avoid. If someone takes out teams you have difficulty against then it helps tremendously. I honestly believe if we get Edmonton we have the advantage. Maybe even against the Preds and the Blues if thy get in. Vegas, Winnipeg, Dallas, Colorado all have depth and good goaltending. There's no easy games in the playoffs and trying to choose your opponents not only isnt possible but not reliable. Just ask The Laffs about the we want Florida debacle. Everything will depend on how healthy we can remain, how solid Demko is when he gets back and can the stars of this team elevate their game when we need them to?

If they got past the first round I would call it a successful season with a glimmer of hope going forward as none of the pundits expected this turn around this season.

Its going to be fun no matter what and if they did get the bounces to get to the finals I wouldnt be surprised that much. Lets finish the season off strong. Be competitive and hang on to the division lead at least.

• Cheers 1

Paraphrasing Jim Rutherford, if everything goes right, this team could win the Cup. But that would be EVERYTHING going right. If every player on the team plays at the top of their game for the entire playoffs and there are no injuries then we will be very difficult for anyone to beat in any 7 games series. The Canucks are one of the most talented rosters in the league, combined with perhaps the best coaching in the league as well.

However, it's incredibly rare for everything to go right, and that includes lucky bounces. The Canucks seemed to have that situation early in the season where every shot seemed to go in and every save was made, and we can only hope they get on that kind of roll in the playoffs.

I'll be disappointed if they are out in the first round for sure, but not overly surprised. There are so many good teams in the West. I'll be pretty satisfied if they make it past the first round, and anything after that is gravy. Regardless, it's been an amazing year.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's impossible to predict and they're just guesses.

Mostly for reasons you've stated: injuries, puck luck, bounces. And....goaltending is huge. Players running hot at the right time.

Look, people pencil in teams based on winning streaks (they're doing so now). But, as we've seen cold teams can suddenly get hot and vice versa. There's no telling when a hot team will fall off the pace and so it's really all about everything clicking at the right time. And key players staying healthy. Which is why I hold my breath when JT goes to the room after taking a high hit into the boards or a brutal shot block. Thank God he's tough as nails because losing him would be detrimental.

I'm really confident in DeSmith and that's reassuring if Demko struggles.

Also, this team has clearly had enough losing and is determined not to let things slide too far. That's become evident. They know how to regroup. There are actual strategies in place to help them do so and coaches aren't just winging it on a hope and a prayer. They have answers for the team.

Anyhow, this sort of sums it all up for me. Bring it...I don't/won't get too caught up in looking down the road. I'll enjoy the ride one game at a time. I know how tough it is to win it all. One team, that's it. The rest will ALL fall flat.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Paraphrasing Jim Rutherford, if everything goes right, this team could win the Cup. But that would be EVERYTHING going right.

Thing is, that's applicable to all teams.

Even the so called best of the best have to be firing on all cylinders. We've seen Edmonton completely dog it to start this season. Yet some have short memory spans.

Nothing can be accurately penciled in. Get in and who knows.

I'm expecting them to make the second round (cautiously expecting) and I would be happy with that. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a first round or third round exit. It largely depends on the luck of the draw with who they play. 

I don't think they are totally incapable if winning a Stanley cup based on how good they've been in the regular season and the fact that they have holy trinity of a 1C 1D and 1G for the first time in their history. But a LOT of things would have to go right to the point where I don't think it's realistic to predict or except.. at least not this season. 

I think if they can have a good showing this year especially if they win a round or two and finally gain substantial playoff experience and playoff confidence then they can make a really good run at the cup next year. Similar to how a young inexperienced Chicago made the playoffs in 2009 and got good experience and then went on to win the cup the following season in 2010. 

6 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, that's applicable to all teams.

Even the so called best of the best have to be firing on all cylinders. We've seen Edmonton completely dog it to start this season. Yet some have short memory spans.

Nothing can be accurately penciled in. Get in and who knows.

I do feel like our coaching staff is so good that we may have a leg up on other teams in terms of getting everyone firing on all cylinders for the playoffs. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but... a guy can dream!

• Cheers 1

I have no expectations and whatever happens, will celebrate this amazing season. Been a really fun one, and it's gonna be an absolute gauntlet in the playoffs, so no matter what happens, this season has been a W 

Of course I'll never truly be happy until Canucks name is on the Cup though

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Heretic said:

Expectations?  

Absolutely zero.  I have no expectations at all.  Just going to watch them play.

Yup.

I hate these questions asking if you think the season will be deemed a "success" if you make it to the playoffs, or out of the first round, or second, or third.  Because at the time of that final defeat, when the whistle sounds, if it happens, it will be a resounding NO! 

Now, right at this point, I guess I have some shred of objectivity and I can remove my homer glasses, and say that winning two rounds I might feel good about the season.....but I won't be coming around to that conclusion until later in the Summer. I can't yet. A lot depends on injuries. As well as if they say, came  back from being 3 games down, but lost by a goal in the 7th game.  Or if we were swept in whatever final round it was.

As soon as the playoffs start, all objectivity is thrown out the window for me.  That's why a question like this now is not very relevant. Ask me in August.  Because once they start, its Cup or Bust for me. In the moment, I am expecting them to find a way to win every single damn game.

This kind of questioning I just find uncomfortable. Being happy with the season in total I won't know until after its all over.  I don't want to be "happy" with any premature exit right now just before the big show.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I don't think we match up well against LA and Vegas could be dangerous (LTIR, NHL darling). If they hang on to the 1st seed in the west they likely face Vegas. If they beat the Knights I can see that being a catalyst for a long run. With all that said a first round exit also wouldn't surprise me.

If I had to bet on an outcome, I'd say 2nd round exit is the most likely but I will be disappointed with any outcome that isn't a cup win. I'm going to do my best to enjoy the journey.

I hope we win a game. We will have exceeded my expectations at the beginning of the season if we win 1 playoff game I will be happy. Of course I hope for more. I think there is great potential with this team to go deep. I've seen some really encouraging performances and I believe in this group. 

I think our most worrying performances of the year were against Boston, Winnipeg, and Minni when we got away from our game our immaturity showed and we lost between the ears. When the tide turned there was no stopping it. I really liked our follow up performances against Boston and the Jets they were IMO our 2 best games of the year. Unfortunately we won't get to play the Wild again.  

The playoffs will be a tale of 2 teams depending on which one shows up. Are we the team that dictates the tides or the one that pushes back the receding water only to be overwhelmed when the wave breaks. 

I think this team will win at least 15 games in the playoffs because they don’t have playoff experience “yet” but once they win 15 they will have learned quickly what it takes to win 1 game at a time.

Go Canucks :towel:

Realistically, I think we're going to win the Stanley Cup this year.  I have given myself permission to dream the big dream.  I mean why not?  What are we waiting for? 

The first step towards achieving big things is to believe it's possible.

Go Canucks Go!

We are top-to-bottom one of the best teams in the league this year, and have proven it all season long. It’s just really tough to gauge with our lack of experience and relatively quick turnaround from being a bottom feeder.

I’d say anything less than winning at least a playoff round would be a failure for this group.

There are infinite ways this can play out, but I personally foresee some pretty special performances upcoming from our captain, JT, and elite Pete. 

14 hours ago, JamesB said:

The playoffs are unusually wide open this year, especially in the west. Right now Vancouver, Colorado, Winnipeg, and Dallas are in a virtual tie and Edmonton has the best record over the past few months. Nashville has gotten red hot and Vegas in the defending. And it would not be a shock to see LA win the conference. I don't think I can remember a time when the Conference was this wide open. The Canucks have as good a shot as anyone.

Realistically, the most likely outcome is probably a first round win and a second round exit. But if Demko is healthy and gets hot, the Canucks could go all the way.

This is the biggest factor. If we get bubble Demko we could do some serious damage but in all honesty, we have never had a core like this in the playoffs before. Deep forward/center core, a franchise #1 defenseman and a Vezina calibre goalie. All ingredients a team typically needs if they want to have Stanley Cup aspirations. 

18 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am just wondering about a lot of posters expectations and what most would be ok with this post season. One round? Two rounds? Three rounds?, Stanley cup appearance ? Stanley cup? What does everyone believe the Canucks can do this playoffs? I am thinking realistically a round or two but I am hoping for more. So much depends on puck luck and bounces and lack of injuries. What are your guys expectations this year??

So, who the hell on THIS board, do you expect to get "REALISTIC" expectations from?

Who the hell are you and what have you done with the real Canuckfanforlife82???

Realistic expectations? It's like you don't know us at ALL!

😉

• Haha 1