What are everyone’s realistic expectations in the playoffs this year?

2 hours ago, nergish said:

We are top-to-bottom one of the best teams in the league this year, and have proven it all season long. It’s just really tough to gauge with our lack of experience and relatively quick turnaround from being a bottom feeder.

I’d say anything less than winning at least a playoff round would be a failure for this group.

There are infinite ways this can play out, but I personally foresee some pretty special performances upcoming from our captain, JT, and elite Pete. 

You had them pegged as a playoff team when the season started?

17 hours ago, JamesB said:

The playoffs are unusually wide open this year, especially in the west. Right now Vancouver, Colorado, Winnipeg, and Dallas are in a virtual tie and Edmonton has the best record over the past few months. Nashville has gotten red hot and Vegas in the defending. And it would not be a shock to see LA win the conference. I don't think I can remember a time when the Conference was this wide open. The Canucks have as good a shot as anyone.

Realistically, the most likely outcome is probably a first round win and a second round exit. But if Demko is healthy and gets hot, the Canucks could go all the way.

In the 80's we had heavy favourite's in the west, don't remember anytime aside for the late 90's, with Det/COL/Dallas as having so many real contenders though, and so West heavy either (apologies to CHI/VAN/SJ. but not the same). 

Edited by IBatch

I think the top 6 teams in the League are in the West and that does not include Edmonton. 
‘Really I think the first two rounds will be tough. Special teams actually matter in the first 2 rounds and ours just aren’t great. 
Last two rounds when whistles are put away we can beat anyone. Playing Vegas or the Oilers 5 on 7 in first two rounds is tough. 

When the new management took over I said playoff thiss year for experiance and go for the cup next year. 
But then they got Tocchet and succeeded in a lot of trades wich have lead to going for the cup this season.

But I can only realistically say 2nd or 3rd round just to get the experiance. 
Maybe Tocchet and his team already has overbridged the experiance bit because Tocchet has really worked hard on defence. 

• ThereItIs 1

The consensus is; we've a balanced team. We've the components of a playoff team; scoring, goaltending, mobile defense core, size, physicality. Now all we gotta do with this relatively inexperienced playoff group is to put it all together. 

The opponents we face is of no matter or concern IMHO. Seeing as this'll be the first playoff appearance for many of our players; they echo the same mindset. I mean, they're in the f*ckin' playoffs, man! It's exciting for us. It's exciting for them! Let's just get in there, do what we do and see what happens. We got nuthin' to lose. We're in the playoffs. Let's go. Yeeeeehaaaaa!!!!!!

Realistically though?

-   The 1st Round:       We have it tough vs an opponent with gobs of playoff experience and appearances. Perhaps odds are against us vs the battle proven opponent, but we don't care. We give a battle for the ages; attack, forcheck, backcheck, hit, block shots. Demmer plays his ass off.

We take round 1 in 7 hard fought games! 

-   The 2nd Round:      The 2nd round opponent will no doubt be pumped as well. Did they win in a hard fought 7 games as well? In 6? In 5? A sweep? Not that this is dependant how the Canucks approach the 2nd round, but if we're facing a cocky team that won their 1st series in less than 7 games, then I believe we've got momentum. Demmer plays lights out. Lindy, Daks, key in the PK. JT rocks in PP.

We take the 2nd round in 6 games!

-   The 3rd Round:      Things get tougher in this round. We could suffer key injuries in this round. This is where our depth and coaching plays a significant role. Our youngins come in swingin'! Coaches make the adjustments to simmer the opponents onslaught with our contact battle and attack style. The opponent's star players are keyed on relentlessly and our 3rd/4th line do the rest. Our scorers get key goals abound.

We wear 'em out and take 'em in 5 games!

-  The Last Round:      We're in the finals. Was this destined to come to fruition? I wouldn't know of such divine things, but we're here. Our opponent feels the same. No matter how they got there, they're crazy pumped just as we are. This'll be a back and forth affair. We'll get a split; they'll get a split. However, home ice advantage for us is key. Everyone plays the game of their lives annnnnnnnnd..............

We're triumphant in 7th and deciding game. Stanley Cup Champions!!!!!!!!!!

Well. You know. Is it realistic? Who cares. It's a scenario that'll bring tearful happiness to many.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel::towel::towel:

Edited by Sativika
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

11 hours ago, Hammertime said:

You had them pegged as a playoff team when the season started?

The Empties been saying 105 points since last summer. It’s the Cup and a big celebration parade down Georgia this June. The Soilers will lose in round one and all will laugh and make sport of Loser McBaby Whiner. 

I have zero expectations...

Just damn happy that we are a sure fire play offs team again...

And even happier, that the majority of our core are only in their mid twenties... Lots of mileages still in them...

Just go and play your best, and then lets the chips fall as they may... This is the first real go at it for the vast majority of them, but they have show, they are capable to go toe to toe with anyone.

Lets win it all :towel:

• Like 2

vs. Nashville in the 1st Round. 2nd Round Exit

vs. Vegas in the 1st Round. 1st Round exit but I'm hoping it at least goes to 6 games.

Of course the dream is to win the cup. But I am keeping things reasonable.

I'm not saying we're going to win it all or even one round, but I don't buy the "inexperienced group" line about our team.  We were one game away from the conference final during the bubble and convincingly beat the defending champs.  With the play-in, that was 3 rounds.  These guys know what it takes to win a series.  The fact that they've missed 3 playoffs since doesn't erase that.  Most likely it only makes them more hungry. 

I'm thankful we'll be getting some playoff experience, having said that I'd be severely disappointed if we didn't win the first round.

On a personal note, when we were in Vegas in September I bet $20 we'd make the SCF, if we do I win $850 USD so I'll be disappointed if I don't win my bet.

• MillerTime 1

I would hope that a team that has at or near the top of the league for a majority of the season to get through the first round. However, they are also relatively untried in the playoffs so any success after that will be a bonus.

It'll be interesting to see how the matchups unfold.  I thought the oilers would catch the Canucks for first in the division, but the last couple losses for the oilers are going to make that tough now, so it's probably van for the division. 

The questions now are conference and wild cards........the Avs are going to finish first in the conference I think, meaning they'll get the lower WC and the Canucks higher.  With Vegas, Nashville and LA all running neck and neck it's going to be close, but if the three, I think Vegas is the best matchup for Van.

LA is so tight checking and disciplined that I think the could easily upset Van.  Nashville plays a solid game all around and have a goalie who can win it himself.  They're fast, disciplined and very hot.  They'll be a tough out.

Vegasis big and experienced, but slow and banged up.  The Canucks completely outclassed them last time out and I think the Canucks can out skate them and forecheck more effectively than against Nashville or LA.

• Cheers 1

happy ice hockey GIF by NHL

1 hour ago, stawns said:

It'll be interesting to see how the matchups unfold.  I thought the oilers would catch the Canucks for first in the division, but the last couple losses for the oilers are going to make that tough now, so it's probably van for the division. 

The questions now are conference and wild cards........the Avs are going to finish first in the conference I think, meaning they'll get the lower WC and the Canucks higher.  With Vegas, Nashville and LA all running neck and neck it's going to be close, but if the three, I think Vegas is the best matchup for Van.

LA is so tight checking and disciplined that I think the could easily upset Van.  Nashville plays a solid game all around and have a goalie who can win it himself.  They're fast, disciplined and very hot.  They'll be a tough out.

Vegasis big and experienced, but slow and banged up.  The Canucks completely outclassed them last time out and I think the Canucks can out skate them and forecheck more effectively than against Nashville or LA.

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

Why not us?