What are everyone’s realistic expectations in the playoffs this year?

Given the nux very good regular season, a first round exit would have to be viewed as a big disappointment regardless who we play.

A second round exit is probably even money.

A third round exit is a win.

Making it to the SCF or winning it all are Cinderella stories for a team with next to zero playoff experience.

That's a realistic assessment IMO.

However, of course I want them to go all the way! GCG!!

I think this season is already a massive success story no matter what happens this year in the playoffs. Having said that, I think we are going to beat the first round opponents and see where the dust settles for the 2nd round. It is entirely possible we make the third, with this clubs ability to dominate games and put away opponents when scoring first in the game. That third round is where really 'anything can happen' as they say in the BCLC commercials. Who else from the west makes it to be our opponents? Who knows...a lucky run from a lesser club might be to our advantage, or a heavy veteran club making it thru to face us, but beat up from the first two rounds could also be to our advantage. We have a young agile, skilled, fast club who don't mind hitting, blocking and mixing it up with the gloves off. 

THis season, I am looking for playoff experience, so hopefully a full second round minimum. Could it be a 'one and done' for this core with regards to a Stanley Cup? I will keep dreaming along with you until we know the outcome, but even if we fall short, this core, this team, this era, it is something special and this is just the beginning. 

• Like 1

So much to like about this team in a playoff series: They all play a gritty, hard-nosed game, but I do have some concerns, when the physicality and pace gets tougher, will Petey fade or excel?

That could be a big determining factor in how the Canucks do. IMO, If Petey plays like a superstar, they're going to go far. If he disappears and struggles, Canucks could be out in the first round. 

• Cheers 1

It's been a long haul as a canucks fan. Not much will excite me except a cup. 

I think if these things happen we make it to the finals and lose to Florida. 

Demko is bubble demko. 

Our pp shows up.

Elias lindholm, boeser, pettersson crank it up. I'm not worried about Hughes or Miller. 

17 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

So much to like about this team in a playoff series: They all play a gritty, hard-nosed game, but I do have some concerns, when the physicality and pace gets tougher, will Petey fade or excel?

That could be a big determining factor in how the Canucks do. IMO, If Petey plays like a superstar, they're going to go far. If he disappears and struggles, Canucks could be out in the first round. 

Well lets ask the ghost of Petey Past!

19-20 Petey: 17 playoff games. 7 goals. 11 assists. 18 points. 2 penalty mins and plus2. NHL with the Vancouver Canucks. (roughly 20 years old)

17-18 Petey: 13 playoff games. 10 goals. 9 assists. 19 points. 4 penalty mins and plus17. SHL with the Vaxjo Lakers Hockey Club. (roughly 18 years old)

16-17 Petey: 3 playoff games. 2 goals. 4 assists. 6 points. zero penalty mins and plus2. HockeyAlSvenskan with Timra. (roughly 17 years old)

He is older, bigger, and stronger ever since, so I think he will do okay. We call him the Alien for a reason, he has a very strange game, but somewhat like a martial artist, he uses his opponents strengths against them somehow, looks like he is being pushed around and about to crash to the ice, then out of nowhere a between his own legs shot for a goal. I want to see how he stacks up too, but I think he will be just fine.

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

It's been a long haul as a canucks fan. Not much will excite me except a cup. 

I think if these things happen we make it to the finals and lose to Florida. 

Demko is bubble demko. 

Our pp shows up.

Elias lindholm, boeser, pettersson crank it up. I'm not worried about Hughes or Miller. 

I agree - long playoff runs are great fun, but after being through a few with no result and then dropping off for the following years, doing another with no result is tough.

• Cheers 1

With our current standing, you would think a long playoff run should be the goal, but i feel there's so much parity in the West this year, especially with some teams on a heater late in the season, the lower seeds are just as, if not tougher opponents. 

If Canucks win one round, i would consider this year to be a very successful season. We have to remember where we were at last year and the expectation before the season started. History also indicate that most cup winners have to make multiple attempts before winning it all (yes there's exception, but those teams also fade quickly). I trust our management to address whatever our weakness is in the summer to ensure we'll continue to compete.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset even if it's a first round exit as long as it's a close series. I just hope we don't face Kings and have to watch their 1-3-1 the whole series. 

• Upvote 1

I will be happy to see them win 1 round. 

If a few things happen, they should be able to make a bit of a splash.

1) Pettersson finding another gear.

2) Demko in form.

3) PP/PK stepping up. 

On 3/24/2024 at 10:32 AM, Dumb Nuck said:

I'm thankful we'll be getting some playoff experience, having said that I'd be severely disappointed if we didn't win the first round.

On a personal note, when we were in Vegas in September I bet $20 we'd make the SCF, if we do I win $850 USD so I'll be disappointed if I don't win my bet.

I want you to get your money 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dom said:

I will be happy to see them win 1 round. 

If a few things happen, they should be able to make a bit of a splash.

1) Pettersson finding another gear.

2) Demko in form.

3) PP/PK stepping up. 

Have a hard time believing #1 and #3 are gonna happen....

I think Oilers will win the Pacific Division followed by Canucks.

That means we will be faced either Vegas or LA in 1st round.

Both of teams are very touch to compete and our records against them this year aren't good.

Fast exit in 1st round of playoffs.

• Sad 1

My expectations are we see the Canucks play hard and compete every game.

i have set zero expectations and i do NOT care what team we play, we don’t need to follow in the laffs fans footsteps… chanting we want Florida, then get destroyed by the team!

gain playoff experience and continue reshaping our roster this off season.

go Canucks go!

• Thanks 1

I expect a lot of whining about how the league is against us and the refs are not calling it fairly. Also will be lots of complaining how Petey is not a 0playoff guy and how we should have traded Boeser as he sucks now…Hronek and Myers are going to get talked about as well.