[PGT] Poutine Swillers at Canucks

10 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Sleeping. 

There are credible reports that Michkov told teams he'd only come to North America for certain teams.  If thats true He would have been a very high risk pick for them. Since the Monahan trade, and with Dach out,  Montreal is essentially a 1 line team coupled with a very young D corp.  

It'll be interesting to see what kind of step they take next season.  They'll hopefully have Dach back in the 2c slot and have a few young guys like Joshua Roy they can try with him.  They also have a trove of young D and a crapload of picks they can potentially look at packaging to bring in a top 6 scorer. 

Montreal is still a rebuilding team but they kept most games very close this season. 

Theyre leading the league in 1  goal games (1st or 2nd) .  If they can tighten up the defense and ramp up the offence slightly they'll start looking dangerous as early as next season.  For now they're at least fun to watch in most games.

Remember it was like that in the JB era too.  A lot of one goal games.   That's something to look forward to as they get more guns.     Reason's for optimism...prospect wise not much at all.   Haven't seen MTL make a great pick (knock it out of the park) since Roy.  Apologies to Price.   Green era here it was a lot of one goal games.   Share your pain.   Sucks that MTL fans didn't get to celebrate the bubble.   In the way they would have otherwise.  

Edited by IBatch

10 hours ago, D-Money said:

There’s always other sides to the story…

- The first game against Vegas is their first game back home after a 4 games in 6 nights road trip.

- Right after that game, they’re back on the road again, 2nd game in Vancouver.

- Jets game is last one of the season, likely doesn’t mean anything for at least one of the teams.

- Edmonton game is 2nd if a back-to-back for them, and their 3rd game in 4 nights…

…Our schedule is awesome. The team is going to be well rested for the playoffs, while still warming up against solid competition. I’m super-stoked!

I am so looking forward to being at the Edmonton game with my son and Grandson. Wouldn't it be great to see a 2023-24 season sweep?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm thinking he gets in on the weekend maybe. He's only been here for 2 or 3games so far. Lekkerimaki next week perhaps?

Didn't they say he's here mostly to get used to NA ice and practice time.  I think they said he might get a game or two but nothing too much.  

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's closer for me if you remove Myers. I think Hronek is far more important. He is the 1RD vs a 3LD. It is unknown how Hughes would be with a lesser partner. Would he be as prolific ... it's really hard to know for sure. 

Kind of a dumb question without listing the salary for Zads and CG but easily Hronek for me. If you take Myers out and we get Zadorov for $5 mil, plus the assets for a Hronek trade it's a tough decision. I think I'am still leaning Hronek as RD are so hard to find and otherwise we're looking at Juulsen as our first RD up. I know a lot of people love Zadorov but he still has questionable IQ moments and poor games overall. Depends on the terms too.

I agree in the thinking about Myers. I get that. We finally now have our contending caliber duo in Hughes/Hronek. There's absolutely no reason to second guess that into oblivion or looking for greener grass. It's here now. Their success is known and is hard to come by in that special chemistry. Especially that's he's a young RHD. We need to allow that to flourish. We haven't seen the best of Hughes and Hronek yet. This is only season one.

Here's the thing: we can't always have everything both ways. 

Suddenly after years of being the whipping boy, and years of people calling for Myers's head, wanting him gone, people are now wanting him here. Myers isn't a priority in this and shouldn't be when discussing Hronek and Zadorov. Myers falls into "if we can make it work" territory.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think they should. Hronek is an RFA, so the Canucks maintain some semblance of control over the situation, whereas Zadorov is a UFA, and the Canucks lose that leverage as of July 1st. 

Zadorov is proving to be a solid and dependable defenseman, who's intangibles will be very hard to replace. He can play with anyone, and still provide the same consistency. And he's also a 6'6" 248llbs that loves to hit and is very good at it. 

Rick Ball was just talking about Zadorov. He once was a commentator with the Canucks, now the Flames. He sais if you can get him sighed the way he's

playing, for God's sake do it. He's not sure whether Lindholm will return to form.

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Rick Ball was just talking about Zadorov. He once was a commentator with the Canucks, now the Flames. He sais if you can get him sighed the way he's

playing, for God's sake do it. He's not sure whether Lindholm will return to form.

Makes sense. His teammates love him. 

What's the injury that Lindholm sustained?

Edited by PhillipBlunt

2 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Just about Lindholm ... he had a really great, effective game last night and that line was great.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I agree in the thinking about Myers. I get that. We finally now have our contending caliber duo in Hughes/Hronek. There's absolutely no reason to second guess that into oblivion or looking for greener grass. It's here now. Their success is known and is hard to come by in that special chemistry. Especially that's he's a young RHD. We need to allow that to flourish. We haven't seen the best of Hughes and Hronek yet. This is only season one.

Here's the thing: we can't always have everything both ways. 

Suddenly after years of being the whipping boy, and years of people calling for Myers's head, wanting him gone, people are now wanting him here. Myers isn't a priority in this and shouldn't be when discussing Hronek and Zadorov. Myers falls into "if we can make it work" territory.

Except you have to fill that spot regardless and it's probably going to cost more to replace Myers than keep him.  

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

46 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Poll question on the Donnie & Dhali show is: Who would you rather have?

- Hronek (at 8+ M) or

- Zadorov and Myers

So far the poll has Hronek in the lead with 65% of the votes.

Wouldn't matter a whole lot because we have the cap space for both Hronek and Zadorov. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's closer for me if you remove Myers. I think Hronek is far more important. He is the 1RD vs a 3LD. It is unknown how Hughes would be with a lesser partner. Would he be as prolific ... it's really hard to know for sure. 

Kind of a dumb question without listing the salary for Zads and CG but easily Hronek for me. If you take Myers out and we get Zadorov for $5 mil, plus the assets for a Hronek trade it's a tough decision. I think I'am still leaning Hronek as RD are so hard to find and otherwise we're looking at Juulsen as our first RD up. I know a lot of people love Zadorov but he still has questionable IQ moments and poor games overall. Depends on the terms too.

Just to add a little more context to the poll question.

In regards to the poll question, Donnie & Dhali did have a brief preamble and a short discussion. They placed Zadorov and Myers together because they are both UFA's at the end of the year. Next season their combined AAV's would approximately equate to Hronek's AAV. There was a brief discussion that Hronek's Agent has told the Canucks that Hronek's next contract salary would start with an 8. They (the Hronek camp) will not entertain any contract amount that does not start with an 8.

Also of interest is the fact that Hronek does have Arbitration rights for his next RFA signing. For arbitration rights to apply he needs 4 professional seasons played and he will have 6 seasons of professional play after this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

The odds are never good for a player that isn't drafted in the top half of the 1st round and continues their trajectory in development lol.

I think DPetey is doing perfectly fine in terms of developing into a 2nd pair guy.  I think he'll be in the NHL one day, just gonna be interesting to see if he ends up a 3rd pair guy or a 2nd pair guy.

I'm hoping he turns into a solid, hard hitting 3rd pairing defender. From what I recall, he has very good wheels, plays the body and has a good first pass.

I could see him being a STAPLE PK guy (as Tocc would say)  His ceiling MIGHT be a 2nd pairing guy or somebody that can move from 3rd pairing to 2nd pairing in 

short stints if/when injuries occur.  

I'm hoping he acclimates well to the smaller Ice surface and has a good season in the AHL next season playing lots of minutes in all situations.

If things go well I could see him challenging for a spot in 2025-2026 season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Except you have to fill that spot regardless and it's probably going to cost more to replace Myers than keep him.  

The only guy I can think of would be Tanev, if he’s desperate to come back to Vancouver.  I could see him sticking around in Dallas, though.

• Like 1

Just now, The Duke said:

The only guy I can think of would be Tanev, if he’s desperate to come back to Vancouver.  I could see him sticking around in Dallas, though.

As I just said in another thread, we know how his Vancouver story goes......hurt way too much, imo.  Myers is a workhorse

• Cheers 1

Just now, Artemus said:

Just to add a little more context to the poll question.

In regards to the poll question, Donnie & Dhali did have a brief preamble and a short discussion. They placed Zadorov and Myers together because they are both UFA's at the end of the year. Next season their combined AAV's would approximately equate to Hronek's AAV. There was a brief discussion that Hronek's Agent has told the Canucks that Hronek's next contract salary would start with an 8. They (the Hronek camp) will not entertain any contract amount that does not start with an 8.

Also of interest is the fact that Hronek does have Arbitration rights for his next RFA signing. For arbitration rights to apply he needs 4 professional seasons played and he will have 6 seasons of professional play after this year.

🤣 If the demand is that Hronek's contract starts with an 8, see ya goodbye GIF

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Dillon said earlier this season he'd love to play for his hometown (Canucks),,,not sure of cost though.  

He's had a couple chances to come to van hasnt he?  He hasn't picked them yet

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

As I just said in another thread, we know how his Vancouver story goes......hurt way too much, imo.  Myers is a workhorse

For sure.  

Plus (super unpopular opinion incoming). when you look at the numbers, Myers has had at least as good a season as Zadorov.  More points, less hits, but more blocked shots. First option on the PK. All while playing a more difficult position to fill. 

I still hope we find a way to prioritize and bring back the same D but guys are going to have to take some haircuts - so I seriously doubt it.

Edited by The Duke
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Is he desperate to come to Vancouver?

I think the love affair has been more one way thus far. And he’s rumoured to be asking a fair penny as well. Management has their work cut out for them. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1