[PGT] Poutine Swillers at Canucks

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

For sure.  

Plus (super unpopular opinion incoming). when you look at the numbers, Myers has had at least as good a season as Zadorov.  More points, less hits, but more blocked shots. All while playing a more difficult position to fill. 

I still hope we find a way to prioritize and bring back the same D but guys are going to have to take some haircuts - so I seriously doubt it.

I'd say comments coming from Myers agent were somewhat hopeful.  I still think he'll be the cheapest option for a spot they have to fill regardless........they won't be doing it internally, so money will have to be spent, imo

• Cheers 1

Interesting thoughts from Seravalli today on the Hronek issue ...

Frank Seravalli says talks between Canucks and Filip Hronek are ‘very preliminary’: Canucks Conversation - CanucksArmy

"What’s the incentive to take a major discount on what would already be a pretty high arb number? That’s the part that people and fans get twisted about. They don’t like the idea that his number starts with an 8. That’s what the market bears, and what it’s going to bear moving forward. Let’s hypothetically say it’s 8×8. You’re going to say right now it’s probably fair for both player and team. But the longer that 8-year deal goes on as the cap climbs north of 100 million bucks, 8 suddenly begins to look team-friendly at year 3 when he’s 29 years old. I still think this is going to surprise people in terms of how it plays out.”

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I think the love affair has been more one way thus far. And he’s rumoured to be asking a fair penny as well. Management has their work cut out for them. 

Thanks. Yeah, I'd like to see Tanev back at the right price but I gave up on it when he went to Dallas. 

• Cheers 1

To me, depending on his ask, hronek is the odd man out.  Partially because of the cap hit, but largely because they will get back significant pieces by moving him.

They've got a good thing going with this dcorp, as a group, and I think it's more important to keep the group together as much as they can.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If you paired Soucy with Juulsen do you think Juulsen could handle top 4 minutes?

Then have Zads and Woo? That would be one hell of a physical defensive core.

Yeah we need Woo to make the jump

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Frank Seravalli says talks between Canucks and Filip Hronek are ‘very preliminary’: Canucks Conversation - CanucksArmy

"What’s the incentive to take a major discount on what would already be a pretty high arb number? That’s the part that people and fans get twisted about. They don’t like the idea that his number starts with an 8. That’s what the market bears, and what it’s going to bear moving forward. Let’s hypothetically say it’s 8×8. You’re going to say right now it’s probably fair for both player and team. But the longer that 8-year deal goes on as the cap climbs north of 100 million bucks, 8 suddenly begins to look team-friendly at year 3 when he’s 29 years old. I still think this is going to surprise people in terms of how it plays out.”

Make It Rain Cartoon GIF

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

To me, depending on his ask, hronek is the odd man out.  Partially because of the cap hit, but largely because they will get back significant pieces by moving him.

They've got a good thing going with this dcorp, as a group, and I think it's more important to keep the group together as much as they can.

Hughes has been better with Hronek, but he’s also been electric with anyone from Luke Schenn to Ethan Bear.

If Hronek is getting greedy, I actually agree with this (and I’ve posted in defence of giving Hronek up to 7.5 mil) seems silly to quibble over half a million, but the line needs to be somewhere. And that’s probably where I’d put it.  Those assets, or as part of a direct trade, can probably open the doors to a lot of possible replacements.

Keeping the hulking Zadorov, Myers, Soucy, Juulsen crew together would be awesome.  (Maybe even old man Cole, too, if he’s happy to stay.) 

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If you paired Soucy with Juulsen do you think Juulsen could handle top 4 minutes?

Then have Zads and Woo? That would be one hell of a physical defensive core.

I was on the juulsen train last year when no one had them on their radar and early this year when everyone was screaming how horrible he was.  But no, I don't think he's a top 4 dman on a playoff team

11 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I found it hilarious if Canucks end up finishing first in the west and their reward, defending cup champion Golden Knights as their first round opponent opponent just like 2011 and their reward is the first round cup champions Blackhawks both times plus 2012 Kings that won the Cup.  Every time they have a great season, they end up facing the Cup Champions.  Let's hope for a better result.

We beat the Cup Champs is the Bubble playoffs, so recency is on our side :classic_wink:

More seriously, Vegas isn't so scary, IMO. We're bigger and better than when they beat us in the Bubble.

If we are missing Demko and Joshua, that changes things, but I believe they are expected back in time (haven't been following injuries much lately, so hope I am not wrong)

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

We beat the Cup Champs is the Bubble playoffs, so recency is on our side :classic_wink:

More seriously, Vegas isn't so scary, IMO. We're bigger and better than when they beat us in the Bubble.

If we are missing Demko and Joshua, that changes things, but I believe they are expected back in time (haven't been following injuries much lately, so hope I am not wrong)

Nashville is far scarier, imo.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Hughes has been better with Hronek, but he’s also been electric with anyone from Luke Schenn to Ethan Bear.

If Hronek is getting greedy, I actually agree with this (and I’ve posted in defence of giving Hronek up to 7.5 mil) seems silly to quibble over half a million, but the line needs to be somewhere. And that’s probably where I’d put it.  Those assets, or as part of a direct trade, can probably open the doors to a lot of possibilities.

Keeping the hulking Zadorov, Myers, Soucy, Juulsen crew together would be awesome.  (Maybe even old man Cole, too, if he’s happy to stay.) 

Agreed, though $7m would be my line........teams with depth win Cups

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Teach Zadorov to shoot Right, let Myers walk sign Hornek. Jeez it's no that difficult lol

Hughes Hronek 

Soucy Zadorov 

____ Juulsen 

Soucy already plays right too.   He was my main man last summer, and we signed the guy.   Best UFA signing we've had in over a decade despite the injury.

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

You don't work to finally turn this team around and get a contending caliber duo like Hughes and Hronek to only throw it away.

I'd like to see Hronek at the most come in at $7.5ish or no more than what Hughes is making at $7.8.

But the market does bear $8.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Soucy already plays right too.   He was my main man last summer, and we signed the guy.   Best UFA signing we've had in over a decade despite the injury.

He does, but he's far better on the left, imo.  That's a worst case scenario, imo. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The real takeaway is that I’m glad I’m not responsible for the roster this offseason.  With the amazing job we did this year, there’s no way we can bring everyone back.

But if Aqualini is reading, I’m just kidding - pay me like a GM or AGM and I’ll do it.  Prepare yourselves for:

Hughes-Boqvist

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

Cole-Friedman

• Upvote 1