[PGT] Poutine Swillers at Canucks

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You don't work to finally turn this team around and get a contending caliber duo like Hughes and Hronek to only throw it away.

I'd like to see Hronek at the most come in at $7.5ish or no more than what Hughes is making at $7.8.

But the market does bear $8.

I’m legitimately torn on it. 

Not brining back Hronek does put more strain on Myers and Juulsen who have both looked great in <20 minutes. That’s the key - if you move Hronek you need someone who can keep up with Hughes.

Edited by The Duke
oops wrong >< sign
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Not brining back Hronek does put more strain on Myers and Juulsen who have both looked great in <20 minutes. That’s the key - if you move Hronek you need someone who can keep up with Hughes.

Would be a HUGE mistake to not bring back Hronek UNLESS he's asking for $8.5M+.  Upto $8M AAV, I'd have no problem bringing him back.  Top pairing RHD that can play over 22min a night and put up 50+ points are a rare breed. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

The real takeaway is that I’m glad I’m not responsible for the roster this offseason.  With the amazing job we did this year, there’s no way we can bring everyone back.

But if Aqualini is reading, I’m just kidding - pay me like a GM or AGM and I’ll do it.  Prepare yourselves for:

Hughes-Boqvist

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

Cole-Friedman

Lol ... and then we'd be back to ... our D depth sucks, we need Hronek back, Zad is making too much, Myers is a pylon, Juulsen needs more development.

I'd settle for Amazing Kreskin GM money. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You don't work to finally turn this team around and get a contending caliber duo like Hughes and Hronek to only throw it away.

I'd like to see Hronek at the most come in at $7.5ish or no more than what Hughes is making at $7.8.

But the market does bear $8.

A lot can change from now to the offseason.

If these guys love playing with each other and they can go on a run, suddenly there might be motivation to take a more team friendly deal.

You’ve gotten the buy in on the ice, now it’s time to get the buy in off the ice. Everyone takes a little less and the chances of keeping this group together increases.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It's been pretty eye opening... 

Myers is definitely the odd man out at making 6m.

Juulsen is now a steadier defender than Myers at a fraction of the cost. 

Zadorov is a nice presence but his hockey IQ still needs work. When the opposition is cycling and moving the puck well in our zone, he gives the opposition too much time and often goes out of position / takes the wrong guy. His biggest threat/asset is keeping the opposition honest by stepping up at the Blue line sometimes and making big hits. 

2nd asset is his size on puck retrievals where he can retrieve the puck and get hit without getting hurt or turning it over and moving it out of our zone. 

Its mainly his defensive zone coverage that's the issue. If our staff can fix that, he is easily worth 5m.

The canucks came out of the gate skating slow and looking disinterested. I was nervous it was going to be a let down game. 

They then flipped the switch and ran Mtl out of the building

Im really liking the emergence of Podz. 

His size, skating and physical play is gonna wear down opposing D in the playoffs. 

Itll be exciting when DJ comes back. 

I would have to rotate Lafferty and Aman in the press box at that point. 

Having a solid 7D really helps too. 

We are built for the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I get it. I'm just more on Hughes/Hronek, contending caliber duo ... solved ... exactly what we need. 

I don't get into the what if moving Hronek. That only destroys what we know to be successful for the unknown.

There is a way to make the rest work.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would be smart to load manage Lindholm right about now.

Can we assume he’s on the 4th line then?

Let him rest if he's injured. We need the real lindholm for playoffs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A lot can change from now to the offseason.

If these guys love playing with each other and they can go on a run, suddenly there might be motivation to take a more team friendly deal.

You’ve gotten the buy in on the ice, now it’s time to get the buy in off the ice. Everyone takes a little less and the chances of keeping this group together increases.

A lot can change but our window is now as a team on the rise, and really so is Hronek's window.

If they all want to win as this group then we'll likely see a more team friendly deal.

Keep in mind, Petey came down on his number despite the alarmism. 

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Hronek at 8+ and Zadorov at his asking price of 5 can probably be done, but it’s not just bye bye to Myers.

We’d be losing more of DeSmith, Joshua, Cole, Bleuger, Lafferty and limiting our ability to get Tanev or Dillon. 

The bottom line is we don’t just need Hronek, we need a 2RD as well. The nhl ready RD on the roster next season is Juusen - and fine, slot him in as #6 but I think you can run Soucy as a 2nd or 3rd pair guy considering the minutes Hughes plays.  We don’t have that luxury in the right.  That’s why Zadorov is behind Hronek and even Myers in priority.  The left side is way more stable.

Yeah I agree on priority but don't see how we can possibly pay a 3LD $5+ mil. This management group is not that careless and has proven that with their excellent bottom 6 expenditures. We're already insanely cash strapped and should be spending no more than $3 mil on that position. Even that would be an extremely tight fit.

We already have Hronek and Juulsen penciled in. Myers should be the last resort if we can't find anyone else, but I find that super hard to believe. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade (maybe even our 2025 first) for a cost controlled salary friendly 2RD. That would go a long way to easing our cap problems through the OEL hit, solidify our D for the next 2 years (top 4 wrapped up with Soucy), and lead nicely into Willander's arrival.

$7.8 $7.75

$3.25 $3

$3 $.775

$.775

$26.35 mil spent on defence. Now that I would be comfortable with ... even a bit more on the 2RD for the right player. I just hope it's not Myers. Time to move forward and upward. After looking at it this way I'm more comfortable with giving Hronek pretty decent $$, he's a no brainer signing but our management group should be able to get a fair deal done. Hughes will also be getting a $4 mil raise in 3 years and Soucy up in 2.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Lol ... and then we'd be back to ... our D depth sucks, we need Hronek back, Zad is making too much, Myers is a pylon, Juulsen needs more development.

I'd settle for Amazing Kreskin GM money. 

In all honesty, if we keep Hronek…

Hughes(7.9) - Hronek (8)

Soucy(3.25) -Myers/Tanev/Hakanpaa (4)

Cole/Dillon(3) -Juulsen (.75)

is a bit less than we’re paying this year. 

But that’s already going cheap on 2RD - and Cole isn’t getting younger while Dillon at 3 is wishful as well.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, The Duke said:

In all honesty, if we keep Hronek…

Hughes(7.9) - Hronek (8)

Soucy(3.25) -Myers/Tanev/Hakanpaa (4)

Cole/Dillon(3) -Juulsen (.75)

is a bit less than we’re paying this year. 

But that’s already going cheap on 2RD - and Cole isn’t getting younger while Dillon at 3 is wishful as well.

I see where you're going. Not bad.

I think you need to fit Zadorov in there (I mean, especially today, he scored 2 goals last night and he's a hero. Everyone's falling all over themselves. Next week on these boards might be different. :))

But ...

I think the key might be in the Cole/Dillon spot and finding someone in the $2 range and moving that extra mill upward.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I agree on priority but don't see how we can possibly pay a 3LD $5+ mil. This management group is not that careless and has proven that with their excellent bottom 6 expenditures. We're already insanely cash strapped and should be spending no more than $3 mil on that position. Even that would be an extremely tight fit.

We already have Hronek and Juulsen penciled in. Myers should be the last resort if we can't find anyone else, but I find that super hard to believe. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade (maybe even our 2025 first) for a cost controlled salary friendly 2RD. That would go a long way to easing our cap problems through the OEL hit, solidify our D for the next 2 years (top 4 wrapped up with Soucy), and lead nicely into Willander's arrival.

$7.8 $7.75

$3.25 $3

$3 $.775

$.775

$26.35 mil spent on defence. Now that I would be comfortable with ... even a bit more on the 2RD for the right player. I just hope it's not Myers. Time to move forward and upward. After looking at it this way I'm more comfortable with giving Hronek pretty decent $$, he's a no brainer signing but our management group should be able to get a fair deal done. Hughes will also be getting a $4 mil raise in 3 years and Soucy up in 2.

That $26 million on defense isn't outrageous. The Avs are $26.8 this season. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I see where you're going. Not bad.

I think you need to fit Zadorov in there (I mean, especially today, he scored 2 goals last night and he's a hero. Everyone's falling all over themselves. Next week on these boards might be different. :))

But ...

I think they key might be in the Cole/Dillon spot and finding someone in the $2 range and movin g that extra mill upward.

Hughes (7.9) Hronek (8.0)

Soucy (3.25) Juulsen (0.75)

Zadorov (4.5) Woo/Johansson (1.5)

= $26.4 with allowance of Zads making $5

That's actually $3 million less than we're paying now.

Then you trade Mik, and you get more room.

It's time to reward our players in the Minors. Start looking at internal competition, not always FA's.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well this really proves the Oilers are clearly running away with the division win amirite? 

Troll Dancing GIF

Lol

I find those comments pretty funny too... 

We complain about blowing leads and losing games like the Avs game which I thought they deserved to win (had the refs not stepped in) 

Meanwhile, we've quietly gone about our business and destroyed the Jets while beating Knights, Kings, and the teams that we should be beating. 

Only blemish was the Caps game. 

Oilers are playing well but they too have blemishes like losing to the Blue Jackets and the Sabres 

Their schedule gets a lot tougher. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Remember it was like that in the JB era too.  A lot of one goal games.   That's something to look forward to as they get more guns.     Reason's for optimism...prospect wise not much at all.   Haven't seen MTL make a great pick (knock it out of the park) since Roy.  Apologies to Price.   Green era here it was a lot of one goal games.   Share your pain.   Sucks that MTL fans didn't get to celebrate the bubble.   In the way they would have otherwise.  

Montreal MAY have a star in the making with Hutson.  Beyond that they have a lot of great prospects but no game breakers.   Slafkovsky is starting to look really good. He's been close to a ppg since early Jan and he's still only 19. They have a bunch of d prospects that all look lime NHL'ers to varying degrees. They have a lot of draft capital to make moves that will help the club.  Add the young core of Suzuki, Caufield, Dach , Slafkovsky,  Newhook and there's plenty of reason to be optimistic.  Time will tell ( probably 2 more seasons before they're a playoff threat) but the future looks good.  

• Cheers 1