[PGT] Poutine Swillers at Canucks

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hughes (7.9) Hronek (8.0)

Soucy (3.25) Juulsen (0.75)

Zadorov (4.5) Woo/Johansson (1.5)

= $26.4 with allowance of Zads making $5

That's actually $3 million less than we're paying now.

Then you trade Mik, and you get more room.

It's time to reward our players in the Minors. Start looking at internal competition, not always FA's.

There no way Hronek should be making more than Hughes. I think PA would have failed if he can't convince Hronek to sign for 7.5m or less. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You don't work to finally turn this team around and get a contending caliber duo like Hughes and Hronek to only throw it away.

I'd like to see Hronek at the most come in at $7.5ish or no more than what Hughes is making at $7.8.

But the market does bear $8.

You can't build properly with a top heavy roster, imo

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Nashville is far scarier, imo.

Maybe. They're on a good run, no doubt. We have had their number this year, so maybe we match up well. Haven't paid attention to their moves, so unaware if they beefed up the roster since Christmas.

I was only commenting on a post about the string of playoff Champs we have had to go through since the Sedin's heyday.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's time to reward our players in the Minors. Start looking at internal competition, not always FA's.

I like where you're going with that. That type of thinking. We really need to be thankful that Juulsen's working out.

I agree with the option of trading Mik. Especially with his value rising and the fact that he's getting back to form.

The issue for me is that I just don't think we're ready to promote from within on D yet enough to rely on. We're getting closer. We need to see these guys get some action at this level. Especially our RHDs down below.

We are much more ready with our forwards - Podz, Bains, Karlsson. That'll save some money. I was really hoping to see Woo get some action at this level. It's hard to pencil them in when they haven't played at this level yet. But we may need to out of necessity.

I just think on D they'll be defaulting to experience next season. Especially if we have a good run in this coming playoffs.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

There no way Hronek should be making more than Hughes. I think PA would have failed if he can't convince Hronek to sign for 7.5m or less. 

Not a chance in hell. That reasoning makes no sense. Hughes was a bridge deal. He still has his 8 year 12m+ coming up. This is hronek's big contract time. He can go to arbitration and get over 7.5m then walk to free agency and canucks don't have him or any assets from trading him plus the ones they lost to acquire him. Losing him over 500k-1m would be a nail in the coffin for this teams window. That would be Jim Benning level reasoning. 

Edited by Captain Hughes
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Juulsen has been solid but come on, there’s no way he’s playing top 4 next season.

You sign Myers or Cole short term, whoever comes cheaper.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I like where you're going with that. That type of thinking. We really need to be thankful that Juulsen's working out.

I agree with the option of trading Mik. Especially with his value rising and the fact that he's getting back to form.

The issue for me is that I just don't think we're ready to promote from within on D yet enough to rely on. We're getting closer. We need to see these guys get some action at this level. Especially our RHDs down below.

We are much more ready with our forwards - Podz, Bains, Karlsson. That'll save some money. I was really hoping to see Woo get some action at this level. It's hard to pencil them in when they haven't played at this level yet. But we may need to out of necessity.

I just think on D they'll be defaulting to experience next season. Especially if we have a good run in this coming playoffs.

Yes if we have 3m less than now, I would find another Soucy or Cole to sign and hope that a woo or brisbois type can be next year's Juulsen at 7D

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I agree in the thinking about Myers. I get that. We finally now have our contending caliber duo in Hughes/Hronek. There's absolutely no reason to second guess that into oblivion or looking for greener grass. It's here now. Their success is known and is hard to come by in that special chemistry. Especially that's he's a young RHD. We need to allow that to flourish. We haven't seen the best of Hughes and Hronek yet. This is only season one.

Here's the thing: we can't always have everything both ways. 

Suddenly after years of being the whipping boy, and years of people calling for Myers's head, wanting him gone, people are now wanting him here. Myers isn't a priority in this and shouldn't be when discussing Hronek and Zadorov. Myers falls into "if we can make it work" territory.

Yes, exactly on Hronek. We have the best #1 unit, or close to it in hockey. That's like those that wanted to trade Petey for draft picks. 😅 We have what we've been desperately seeking for years here and now. Do not mess with it.

I understand the grass isn't always greener on the other side angle and people talk about lack of options next year. However, I find it hard to believe our hockey people in management can't conceive of a better player than Myers to compliment our defence group. That's a defeatist and lazy attitude in my opinion. He's nothing more than a fallback option in case a better player can't be found. I would consider at all of the other 90 RD's in the league first. I think his game goes downhill once he has the security of a new deal as well.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Captain Hughes said:

Not a chance in hell. That reasoning makes no sense. Hughes was a bridge deal. He still has his 8 year 12m+ coming up. This is hronek's big contract time. He can go to arbitration and get over 7.5m then walk to free agency and canucks don't have him or any assets to trade him plus the ones they lost to acquire him. Losing him over 500k-1m would be a nail in the coffin for this teams window. That would be Jim Benning level reasoning. 

Im not saying to let him walk... 

Im saying do what a good GM would do and reason with him to take less. 

A GM might as well be a computer if they can't appeal to the heart of a person and reason with them to move the needle...

If all a GM can do is give out market rate offers, what's the point? 

It's about building a team, culture getting player intangibles where they ask themselves hey, is it worth going to arb and getting 8m or should I sign for 7.5m on this winning team with great culture and an amazing linemate and finish my career happy? 

What is that extra. 5m per year worth to me and my family when I'm already making 7.5m and playing with the best d man in the world? 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Well we do have 2 games left against them. 

If we beat them both games, we would put their playoff hopes in jeopardy 

I think they have the toughest schedule remaining

Im glad stone and hertl are out lol

13 games left

Blues

Wild x 2

Avs

Jets

Canucks x 2

Preds

Oilers

Let's hope the Blues win their game against them and they lose a bunch of other ones. 

Right now The Canucks are in the driver's seat.  They just need to focus on winning games and the division; getting points and everything else will take care of itself.

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Im not saying to let him walk... 

Im saying do what a good GM would do and reason with him to take less. 

A GM might as well be a computer if they can't appeal to the heart of a person and reason with them to move the needle...

If all a GM can do is give out market rate offers, what's the point? 

It's about building a team, culture getting player intangibles where they ask themselves hey, is it worth going to arb and getting 8m or should I sign for 7.5m on this winning team with great culture and an amazing linemate and finish my career happy? 

What is that extra. 5m per year worth to me and my family when I'm already making 7.5m and playing with the best d man in 

U cannot let him go to arbitration if he does the window is over. His agent knows what he gets in FA and knows what he gets more or less in arbitration. He's one guy I do not haggle with because of what it costed to get him and how long we waited for a top pair RD. Pay him and move the fuck on to joshua

Edited by Captain Hughes
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

To me, depending on his ask, hronek is the odd man out.  Partially because of the cap hit, but largely because they will get back significant pieces by moving him.

They've got a good thing going with this dcorp, as a group, and I think it's more important to keep the group together as much as they can.

Exactly. 

13 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I found it hilarious if Canucks end up finishing first in the west and their reward, defending cup champion Golden Knights as their first round opponent opponent just like 2011 and their reward is the first round cup champions Blackhawks both times plus 2012 Kings that won the Cup.  Every time they have a great season, they end up facing the Cup Champions.  Let's hope for a better result.

I maintain the stance that worrying about matchup on a team level means the mental battle is already lost.

On a fanbase level, talking about matchup is totally fine. We're fans, and we talk about and worry about things. As the team themselves, if all they think about is how to avoid so-called unfavorable matchup, they'll likely crack at the first sign of adversity and fall flat on their faces. Playoffs has a funny way of twisting and mutating teams into Lovecraftian monsters.  Playoffs equal pressure and every team in them are good to excellent so there are no easy match ups.  

If a squad is legit then they can handle and figure out how to beat the team in front of them.  In the end the thing that matters most is winning the big prize and hoisting Lord Stanley's cup over your head.

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

Holy… just looked it up. Has it really been 9 years since the Canucks have played a playoff game at home??

Ashton Kutcher Week GIF

The way the crowd has been over this last homestand, should be good.

How good?

Canucks Memes - Creative and Media Forum - Canucks Community

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 2