[PGT] Poutine Swillers at Canucks

Oh man, I'm so ticked off!

I'm on holidays (yea) but all day I've been thinking it's Saturday and waiting for the game.

WHAT??? 

I have to wait an entire extra day?!?!?  *breaks her stick over the net*

• Huggy Bear 3
  • MillerTime 1

87.7 mil cap next year.

40.25 locked in for 9 forwards. Petey, Miller, Brock, Garland, Mikheyev, Suter, Hoglander, Aman, DiGiuseppe,  

(4 needed)

if we go:

Hughes(7.9) - Hronek (8)

Zadorov(5) - Myers (4) 

Soucy(3.75) - Juulsen (.78)

29.4 … throw in a league min #7 and it’s just above a cool 30.

Thats 70 mil.

Then: 5 for Demko and 2.8 for OEL buyout and 2.5 Poolman’s ltir 

So, just under 81 mil and 6.7 mil to fill a backup goalie and 4 forwards.  

It’s super tight but if you bring back pods at his RFA rate.. I don’t know what it is… 1.1 mil? And would DeSmith come back at 2 mil? 

Leaves 3.6 mil for 3 forward spots and another depth D depending on how many we carry.  Lafferty, Lindholm, Joshua and Bleuger left to re-sign. 

DiGiuseppe-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

Podkolzin-Suter-Garland

Aman

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

Friedman

Obviously, we don’t want PDG on the top line.  Maybe if we prioritize Bleuger, Suter can stay there and PDG bumps down to 4th line. 

I forget how ltir works but think we can exceed the cap by Poolman’s 2.5 if we’re smart.

Obviously management will work to improve beyond just bringing back the whole team… but it’s actually not as dire as I thought.  Almost no chance we can bring back Lindholm.  And Joshua seems unlikely.  But if they really wanted, we could probably bring back a very similar looking D - and that’s been the spine of the team this year IMO.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

I think it is easier than it appears for our front office to keep some key people. 

Lindholm, Zadorov, Podkoltzin, Hronek, Cole shouldn't eat up the entire 25.5 million four guys I haven't named here to fill out the O and the D and bam; we are back for next year. 

48 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

The race for the Presidents Trophy is absolutely NUTS. The top 8 teams are separated by FOUR POINTS. Not to mention the Oilers are 3 games and 5 points back of Dallas but they're not in the running for top in the league. (Also, tied for first in pts% 👀)

image.png.1f97854c7697b60d68a648cea69dc30f.png

I don't know if it's a good thing to finish 1st overall or 1st in conference.

In the West VGK sit in 8th spot. That means if we win the West we'd face VGK in the 1st round. 

Best thing would be to face NSH in the 1st round. 

A lot of luck involved in who will win the Cup. It could be out in 1st round or a Cup run all depending on the matchups. 

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

lol, I used to buy that 1.5 litre bottle of Crown for $30 USD.  I think it's $37 or $38.  I switched to Pendleton which was still $30 USD when I bought it a month ago.

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I like how he said they are not thinking about how many pts they need to clinch etc.  

They are focused on the process and taking a game at a time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not entirely sure tbh, that's what management's job is and they are better at it then I, but I'd certainly be looking everywhere I could if I was them. There must be other RD's in the league somewhere. About 90 or so by my calculations. Maybe a trade for a cost controlled player is a possibility. I don't think it's some impossible task and we should always be striving to be better, not just give in and accept defeat. If no other options exist then sure he's a good fallback.

As far as Zadorov I don't think we can afford him myself. $5 mil plus for a third pairing guy is going to be tough for us to pull off. I would like to keep him if we can afford it though. That money would be better spent on RD imo.

I see zsdorov and soucy as both top 4 ld.  Both have things the other doesn't.  

Id rather have myets and zad than hronek at a huge price tag, to be honest.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hughes said:

U cannot let him go to arbitration if he does the window is over. His agent knows what he gets in FA and knows what he gets more or less in arbitration. He's one guy I do not haggle with because of what it costed to get him and how long we waited for a top pair RD. Pay him and move the fuck on to joshua

I agree that you do not haggle him and let him go to arb. 

Might as well trade him if you're going down that road. 

And you sound very angry by the way 

Maybe I'm just being blinded with hope, but I'm hoping he signs for less than 8m because he sees all the good pieces of the puzzle on this team and realizes the benefits of signing a team friendly deal and staying here is better than the additional 500k he can get by signing elsewhere. 

There was a point when everyone thought Miller was going to UFA for 9.5m+ and Petey wanted 12.5m

Why can't the same happen with Hronek? 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I see zsdorov and soucy as both top 4 ld.  Both have things the other doesn't.  

Id rather have myets and zad than hronek at a huge price tag, to be honest.

Omg thank dear baby Jesus you're not GM. And I'm a huge Zad fan, I cook him borscht soup every Sunday 

Edited by Captain Hughes

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I agree that you do not haggle him and let him go to arb. 

Might as well trade him if you're going down that road. 

And you sound very angry by the way 

Maybe I'm just being blinded with hope, but I'm hoping he signs for less than 8m because he sees all the good pieces of the puzzle on this team and realizes the benefits of signing a team friendly deal and staying here is better than the additional 500k he can get by signing elsewhere. 

There was a point when everyone thought Miller was going to UFA for 9.5m+ and Petey wanted 12.5m

Why can't the same happen with Hronek? 

Not angry at all, I smiled the whole time I wrote that. Weird though you sound exactly like my shrink 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Omg thank dear baby Jesus your not GM. And I'm a huge Zad fan, I cook him borscht soup every Sunday 

Youre

The leafs and oilers haven't proven to you that you don't win with a top heavy roster?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Youre

The leafs and oilers haven't proven to you that you don't win with a top heavy roster?

Terrible comparison. Oilers and leafs are top heavy paying all forwards. Their defense and goaltending are terrible. Canucks are balanced paying their top forwards and two top defenceman. Hronek is worth every motherfucking penny he gets. 

16 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I like how he said they are not thinking about how many pts they need to clinch etc.  

They are focused on the process and taking a game at a time.  

In other words, they want their shit totally together for the playoffs. I concur. Don't know about you but there is still some work to be done.

In particular, creating fast breaks for themselves and denying them to opposition teams no matter who they are.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Captain Hughes said:

Terrible comparison. Oilers and leafs are top heavy paying all forwards. Their defense and goaltending are terrible. Canucks are balanced paying their top forwards and two top defenceman. Hronek is worth every motherfucking penny he gets. 

I disagree, he's not worth depleting depth.  Depth wins cups

8 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Not angry at all, I smiled the whole time I wrote that. Weird though you sound exactly like my shrink 

I think in an ideal world, PA can give him the respect and tell him yeah you could probably make 8m in the open market. 

We'd however really appreciate if you could sign for 7.5 because that helps our ability to keep some of our other players and keep a contending team intact with you playing a key role in the top pairing with Hughes. 

He might say no but he might also say yes. 

• Like 1

People are going to see how important Zadorov is to this team down the stretch and in the playoffs. 

He's the type of heavy, physical specimen that helps teams win in playoffs.  He's not just a big and tall body but he's an intimidating,  menacing beast. 

Dakota Joshua is also in the same category albeit at forward position. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Deb ?

How about something to cheer you up and get excited about ?

……

That's crazy to think about when you really put it in perspective. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

That's crazy to think about when you really put it in perspective. 

He'll definitely get past Bure and Naslund by the end of the season. 13 games to play.

Heck never know 18 points in 13 games is possible as well. He's averaging 1.27 ppg he needs to average 1.3 for rest of season. But games will be tighter and lower scoring down the stretch. 

• Like 3

Just now, WHL rocks said:

He'll definitely get past Bure and Naslund by the end of the season. 13 games to play.

Heck never know 18 points in 13 games is possible as well. He's averaging 1.27 ppg he needs to average 1.3 for rest of season. But games will be tighter and lower scoring down the stretch. 

Second is definitely doable, first will just depend on how hot he gets over the last few games really. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Your right I'd rather have two number 5 defenceman over a top pairing RD. LOL 

Two #4-5 dmen, cap space and the haul you'd get for dealing hronek.  Seems like a good trade off if he wants a huge payday to me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

People are going to see how important Zadorov is to this team down the stretch and in the playoffs. 

He's the type of heavy, physical specimen that helps teams win in playoffs.  He's not just a big and tall body but he's an intimidating,  menacing beast. 

Dakota Joshua is also in the same category albeit at forward position. 

Love Z and all the intangibles he brings but unless him/Soucy and the coaching staff are comfortable w one of them playing the right side Im not sure there’s room in the top 4.  

I think Z and Hronek have priced themselves out of VAN but that’s ok-turnover should be a normal part of team building.   Maybe the Canucks can pull off a Hronek for Zub trade or something like that (younger, less proven or producing D man)