[PGT] Poutine Swillers at Canucks

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Juulsen is also an example of not giving up on a player too quickly. He struggled when he first got here. But after some experience in the farm team. He's grown as a player by leaps and bounds. Now he's pretty much ready to be a regular NHL'er. Maybe not top 4, but he keeps getting better.

Our entire team is an example of not giving up a player too quickly. I'm forever posting ... good thing we didn't trade ______. Lol

But Juulsen is a good example. So is Hoglander and Podkolzin. We're setting a good culture of never giving up. Time and patience are necessary. 

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

Solid game by the team... Gave Habs very little, and when they scored their only goal, we didn't look like we were going into a panic...

Very pleased... a few more like that, and the team will be ready for the play offs... If they aren't 100% ready for it already.

On a side note, Petey has been starting to dangle the last few games... good signs that he is getting the feel back... 

Edited by spook007
spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Agree with your sentiments about Zadorov. That he should be a priority to be re-signed. 

Question: - should the Canucks re-prioritize and have Zadorov ahead of Hronek as the next dominoe to knock down?

Honestly, after management sees what hronek can do away from Hughes a contract should be tabled with that in mind. If he still thinks he’s worth Hughes money trade him. Any ideas what Zads might be looking at for his next contract?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

There was a shift in the third that really stood out to me.  He was in the corner in the O-Zone battling with a pair of Habs for possession. In that one 10 second sequence he took the puck away from the defenders 2 or 3 times, finally getting around behind the net to a teammate,

That sort of effort and work ethic will take you a long way....

It was never his motor. I think a lot of it comes down to confidence. He now will look for scoring chances. He's a great forechecker. Because of his size he will still struggle with bigger teams. But with experience, he's getting smarter, and craftier than his opponents. It's awesome to see. Garland and Hogs certainly punch far above their weight class.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dannydog said:

Honestly, after management sees what hronek can do away from Hughes a contract should be tabled with that in mind. If he still thinks he’s worth Hughes money trade him. Any ideas what Zads might be looking at for his next contract?

"What Zads might be looking at for his next contract".

I read somewhere, might be Seravalli or maybe it was Dhali, that his agent made an initial request of 5x5.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Our entire team is an example of not giving up a player too quickly. I'm forever posting ... good thing we didn't trade ______. Lol

But Juulsen is a good example. So is Hoglander and Podkolzin. We're setting a good culture of never giving up. Time and patience are necessary. 

Yep, there's a lesson about patience to be learned here.

Also....I, too, have to learn it. Last night I was about to post how invisible Aman was. Then he scored. I still am not really on board with him, but we'll see.

Juulsen on the other hand...had him pegged from the get go. While he made some mistakes that people pointed out as glaring and screamed to get rid of him for, that physicality he brings is something I always appreciated. He's a beast.

JT was enough to have some people rethink how quickly they'd ditch a player. Where would we be now if the "OMG GET RID OF HIM" crowd got their way? Because he slammed his stick and a few gates.

• Like 2

Just now, Artemus said:

I read somewhere, might be Seravalli or maybe it was Dhali, that his agent made an initial request of 5x5.

You do it. Today. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Going to the world's is going to be better for him than watching hockey in abby

Would he not play in Abby at all?

P.S. Where are all the @goofs who were ripping into Desmith last month?

Edited by Gawdzukes

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It was never his motor. I think a lot of it comes down to confidence. He now will look for scoring chances. He's a great forechecker. Because of his size he will still struggle with bigger teams. But with experience, he's getting smarter, and craftier than his opponents. It's awesome to see. Garland and Hogs certainly punch far above their weight class.

Podkolzin was also quite noticeable on the forecheck. 

Looking forward to having Joshua back to also add to the heavy forecheck.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Agree with your sentiments about Zadorov. That he should be a priority to be re-signed. 

Question: - should the Canucks re-prioritize and have Zadorov ahead of Hronek as the next dominoe to knock down?

I'd rather have Zadorov and the assets you get back from trading Hronek's rights than Hronek.

• ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

36 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Yep, there's a lesson about patience to be learned here.

Also....I, too, have to learn it. Last night I was about to post how invisible Aman was. Then he scored. I still am not really on board with him, but we'll see.

Juulsen on the other hand...had him pegged from the get go. While he made some mistakes that people pointed out as glaring and screamed to get rid of him for, that physicality he brings is something I always appreciate. He's a beast.

JT was enough to have some people rethink how quickly they'd ditch a player. Where would we be now if the "OMG GET RID OF HIM" crowd got their way? Because he slammed his stick and a few gates.

Exactly this. Bang on. Great points all around. Miller is the model example that keeps on giving. 

Time and time again it happens - patience is the answer - but people keep reacting the same way over and over. You've said it many times. It never changes.

Also look at Mikheyev and how he's now looking better by the game. He's forechecking well, playing way more effectively, and really coming back into form. That line last night was awesome. People have been calling for his head and whining to get rid of him. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Would he not play in Abby at all?

P.S. Where are all the @goofs who were ripping into Desmith last month?

I don't think he would, not significantly anyway.  Like DPetey, itd be mostly practice and soaking in the experience.  That said, speculation on my part, obviously 

26 minutes ago, Artemus said:

I don't think that's an unreasonable ask at all.

Git 'er done, PA!

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Even though the Habs are a bit of a bottom feeder this season, I still feel much better about the team after this win. The secondary scoring finally came through, the boys played physical and got a solid effort from everyone in the lineup. No passengers that I could see in that game. Tocc has to be happy with that result. Not just the win, but the way they won. This is how you win in the playoffs.

I thought it was really smart putting Juuls back in the lineup. Players will always tell you that "it's just another game", but they're always lying. You always want to step up against your former team. Always.

Felt a little bad for Casey to not get the bagel, but it was the result of a bad bounce on Millsy's clearing attempt, so it's not like the boys abandoned him. In fact, it was refreshing to see the effort that the boys made to get in the shooting lane to block shots. Even Boeser got in on the action.

If I had to nitpick anything, I'd say the PP regressed a bit from the last game, although I give the Habs credit for playing a high pressure PK and making it tough for the Canucks to set up. I thought the Canucks PK was good, with the exception of one penalty. (the 3rd one, I think?) The boys looked very static on that one and were a bit lucky not to give up a goal. The shot by Caufield had Casey beat clean, but the post saved us there.

One comment on Gallagher....

Ever since he was drafted, I couldn't stand the little prick.....and I always wished we had drafted him..... (at least until he signed his latest contract) ....Then watching Garland trade gloved punches with X last night, I've begun to realize that he gives us exactly what Gallagher gives the Habs.....and I'm here for it. Those are the kinds of guys that win you playoff games.

Garland has been unbelievable this year.  I absolutely can't stand it when people keep calling him a 3rd liner.  He's a 2nd line guy playing 3rd line minutes for us because we're a very deep team this year.  When you have a guy like Garland on pace for 17 to 18 goals and 40 points on your 3rd line, you know you've got depth.  The fact he's such a driver of play, fantastic on the forecheck and along the boards, and has the drive and passion to win games, it's such a bonus. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't think that's an unreasonable ask at all.

Git 'er done, PA!

It's not... he's a top 4 LHD, so that's right in the ballpark.

Having these 3 down the LHD side will keep things locked down for the next few years.  As Soucy's contract winds up, I'm willing to bet DPetey will be ready to step into a 3rd pair role.  Then as DPetey matures and becomes ready for 2nd pair minutes, Zadorov will likely begin to fade into a 3rd pair guy.  That's our future of the LHD in a nutshell IMO.  If things pan out accordingly, we shouldn't need to worry about quality in our LHD position for a long time.

Hughes

Zadorov

Soucy

The RHD side is always gonna be the more difficult area to address.  HOWEVER, we are really fortunate to have a top tier RHD prospect in Willander in the pipeline.  We need a similar situation where we sign up a top 4 RHD for 5 years or so to allow for a natural progression of Willander into the 3rd pairing role, and then maturing into the 2nd pair (or even top pair).

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's not... he's a top 4 LHD, so that's right in the ballpark.

Having these 3 down the LHD side will keep things locked down for the next few years.  As Soucy's contract winds up, I'm willing to bet DPetey will be ready to step into a 3rd pair role.  Then as DPetey matures and becomes ready for 2nd pair minutes, Zadorov will likely begin to fade into a 3rd pair guy.  That's our future of the LHD in a nutshell IMO.  If things pan out accordingly, we shouldn't need to worry about quality in our LHD position for a long time.

Hughes

Zadorov

Soucy

The RHD side is always gonna be the more difficult area to address.  HOWEVER, we are really fortunate to have a top tier RHD prospect in Willander in the pipeline.  We need a similar situation where we sign up a top 4 RHD for 5 years or so to allow for a natural progression of Willander into the 3rd pairing role, and then maturing into the 2nd pair (or even top pair).

I love dpetey, but the odds are still heavily against him being in the NHL.  He's got a long road ahead

Just now, stawns said:

I love dpetey, but the odds are still heavily against him being in the NHL.  He's got a long road ahead

Yeah, that's why I don't even see him entering the picture as a 3rd pair LHD until 2026-27.  I don't see him comfortable in a top 4 role until 2028-29.

Timeline works very nicely as Soucy's contract is done by 2026-27.  Zadorov would be in year 5 of his new deal in 2028-29 and likely transitioning into a 3rd pair role by then.

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Nux path to SCF:

Vegas, oils, then Avs.  

Bottomline, I think we ALL need to realize there will be NO easy path to a Stanley Cup this season (as in most seasons).  The West is absolutely stacked, and will be a war to get to the finals.  Which makes me think the Cup will go to the East because whichever team makes it to the finals from the West will be so beaten up by then.

• ThereItIs 1