[PGT] Lames at Canucks

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Those goals by Hoglander were elite, go figure any line Garland goes on to has instant chemistry. Petey needs two work-horses to elevate his game.

This is looking how we might lineup for game 1.

Good win and more importantly good to see we've gotten over that skid and can play solid defence again. First round matchup with Vegas is looking very likely but I think we can end their little run and that'd give us massive confidence going into the 2nd round.

Forget getting that Miller jersey 

Garland is the man…

dude elevates everyone’s game he plays with

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Well that was a great game to take the kids to for their first game!

Gotta say Roger's Arena was a wonderful atmosphere.  Went and saw Fin pregame. Had him sign the girls jerseys. They got free popcorn, free doughnuts.

Just all around awesome experience! 

And we won!

Go Canucks Go!

Yeah thought about you being there with the family! Seemed like a great time and of course the win makes it even sweeter!

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Not to be a Debbie downer but Lindy is shaping out to be ‘the little things Erickson 2.0’

that laser beam empty netter did it for me…

Debbie Downer Snl GIF

If you think about it… Eriksson is a player Tocchet would have kept. High IQ, great defensively etc.

• Confused 1
  • Wiener 1

I think of all the teams the Canucks could potentially face in the playoffs. It's LA that scares me the most. So the Canucks need to fight to clinch the division as much as possible. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Not to be a Debbie downer but Lindy is shaping out to be ‘the little things Erickson 2.0’

that laser beam empty netter did it for me…

Debbie Downer Snl GIF

About 250 games over 4 and a bit seasons VS 22 games. How do you figure that's enough time to make that comparison?

Has Lindholm struggled to get points in Vancouver compared to a lot of other traded players - yes, but it still isn't comparable to a player that had multiple seasons to fit into a team. Additionally, Lindholm played for 2 teams split over ten years. Now imagine you worked in a system for 5 years and then are dropped into a new system with new players in the middle of the season and then are expected for it to click.

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think of all the teams the Canucks could potentially face in the playoffs. It's LA that scares me the most. So the Canucks need to fight to clinch the division as much as possible. 

When our guys are playing their best (with Double Bubble Demko) we will beat any other club at their best.

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Great year to be following the Canucks. Despite "struggling" after the all-star break, the Canucks are 7-1-1 in their last 9 games and in first place overall by points and points percentage (tied with the Rangers but the Canucks have the tie-breaker). If they aren't careful they will win the President's Trophy. I wonder when the Canucks will get some respect from the creators of the various "power rankings", most of which have the Canucks between 6 and 8. (TSN has them at 6, Sportsnet has them at 7 and the Athletic has them at 8). 

1. It felt like a fairly comfortable win tonight and that is what the HNIC panel said, but that is misleading. The Canucks got up early and never trailed, but the game was actually very close in the underlying stats and that is how it looked to me as well. The Canucks had an excellent first few minutes (including a great goal from Petey's line) but Calgary has a push back and hit a post (or maybe a cross-bar) on a great chance.

2. Overall the Canucks had a slight edge in shots (26-24), but were behind in all-strength Corsi and Calgary had a slight edge in expected goals (2.64-2.52). So very even overall.

3. Petey's line was great. All three guys (Petey, Garland, and Hoggy) were excellent, with two great goals from Hoggy (who almost had another) and excellent two-way play from Petey and Garland. Petey even had a big shot block late in the 3rd period to protect the lead (but I think Tocchet should tell him not to block any more shots for the rest of the regular season).

4. The other lines were not so good and all the other guys were on the negative side of the expected goals number. The Miller line had a quiet game but was ok, and Miller had an important PP goal (on a nice pass from Boeser) that turned out to be the game winner. The other two lines did not do well.

5. It was good to see Lindholm get the empty net goal and his line (with Mik and Lafferty) gave up very little defensively. But they generated very little offensively, 0 high danger scoring chances and only 1 scoring chance of any type. Admittedly the Canucks were focusing on playing tight defence but this is disappointing. Lafferty plays hard, is fast, plays a physical game, and plays responsible defence, but he lacks pucks skills and hockey IQ. He was a valuable pick-up for the Canucks but it will be tough for Lindholm to generate much offence playing with Lafferty.

6. The D was good again as a group, with impressive size, skating, toughness, and offensive support, and Hughes continues to play like a Norris favorite. I was a bit worried when Myers went down after blocking a shot, but he seemed to be ok.

7. DeSmith make some good saves but the two goals he let in were not high danger chances. Still, he is holding up well and I keep thinking what a great move it was to trade Pearson for DeSmith.

8. The PK was very good and has now killed 10 penalties in a row.

9. The next game (vs. LA on Monday) will be interesting. The Canucks have pretty much clinched a playoff spot. And it is not clear how the Canucks would want to play in the first round. It might be tempting to dial back the intensity to save if for the playoffs.

Kevin Bieksa specifically addressed the issue of dialing back the intensity going into the playoffs. He said that the year they won the President's Cup they went into cruise control and then lost to Los Angeles in the 1st round. He said that it was hard to get into playoff mode after taking the gas off the pedal. 

Given that he played in the playoffs with the Canucks for 7 years I think he knows what he's talking about.

I think they need to get themselves playing at a playoff push level now, so once they're in the 1st round they can keep pushing through. 1st round series are fast and if players haven't been in them as is with most of the Canucks rosters - the series can be over before players shift into playoff type playing.

• Cheers 4

44 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Kevin Bieksa specifically addressed the issue of dialing back the intensity going into the playoffs. He said that the year they won the President's Cup they went into cruise control and then lost to Los Angeles in the 1st round. He said that it was hard to get into playoff mode after taking the gas off the pedal. 

Given that he played in the playoffs with the Canucks for 7 years I think he knows what he's talking about.

I think they need to get themselves playing at a playoff push level now, so once they're in the 1st round they can keep pushing through. 1st round series are fast and if players haven't been in them as is with most of the Canucks rosters - the series can be over before players shift into playoff type playing.

Which guys on the club haven’t been in playoff hockey? Hogs and Pods? Hughes, Petey, Demko and Miller were fantastic in their previous playoffs. Not too sure who our guys are who haven’t played playoffs? 

• Cheers 2

Great game all around! Really happy with DeSmith! What an absolute beauty, he’s such a likeable guy. Team is playing well, still not happy with boesers game, the guy is the ultimate passenger and he’s going to be a problem in the playoffs if he doesn’t start playing better. 

Going to the LA game Monday with my girfriend and her 3 girls! Their first Canucks game!

Edited by Cuzzizzle
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which guys on the club haven’t been in playoff hockey? Hogs and Pods? Hughes, Petey, Demko and Miller were fantastic in their previous playoffs. Not too sure who our guys are who haven’t played playoffs? 

Fair enough. I'm not sure a Pandemic shortened season with games played in empty rinks will help them this year. To me that year was an anomoly compared to the rest of their playoff history going back 10 years ago, where they've missed the playoffs 8 times. 

12 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Fair enough. I'm not sure a Pandemic shortened season with games played in empty rinks will help them this year. To me that year was an anomoly compared to the rest of their playoff history going back 10 years ago, where they've missed the playoffs 8 times. 

Hughes set the rookie playoff scoring record for D in those bubble playoffs. Petey was more than a ppg. Demko was Dubble Bubble good. If any club will struggle it’s the Coilers because of the infighting between McWhiner Baby, Dryer Cycle and Kane. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ice time for defencemen tonight:

Hughes - 24:20

Hronek - 20:59

Myers - 18:57

Zadorov - 18:30

Soucy - 18:19

Juulsen - 17:09

Cole - 0

So is Zadorov still a 3rd pairing guy?   🤣

That's a pretty dang good D-Core if you ask me!

I think the one thing the bubble playoff did was eliminate the travel advantage some teams had. Everyone stayed in the same city and played in the same rink. I dont think it is a realistic version of what the playoffs are. However , when you are giving up less than 2  goals a game, scoring at a higher rate than that you are in a good spot for wins. The powerplay has to come up bigger as it can determine games in the playoffs and there are less of them handed out as the refs put the whistles away.

Miller and Boeser seem to have regressed a bit with Suter on their line. I would leave Petey with Hoglander and Garland with Joshua. Not sure how the other players fit into the scheme but if the goal was to create pairs those would work for me. Move the other players around until you find ones that stick.

I would hope we would settle into what the pairings are for  the D also. For me Julls has played Cole into a part time gig. I like Hronek/Hughes, Zadorov Soucy, Myers/Jullsen

Cole odd man out for now.

I hope Demko gets back in time for a few warmup games before the playoffs start.