[PGT] Lames at Canucks

Just now, Snoop Hogg said:

His production may drop when he gets older, but he will never mail it in and the great years we are getting out of him will have more than made up for that, especially if we win the Stanley Cup.

I don't think it's going to drop off as much as some think. He keeps proving people wrong. Guy is great! Fantastic leader. 

• MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I don't think it's going to drop off as much as some think. He keeps proving people wrong. Guy is great! Fantastic leader. 

Well, we’ll see, but if I am right, I stand by my point.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Well, we’ll see, but if I am right, I stand by my point.

Well, to be fair ... lol ... we will see. I'm not trying to convince you. You can be right. It's ok.

He keeps proving people wrong. That will either continue or it won't. 

• MillerTime 2

7 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Kevin Bieksa specifically addressed the issue of dialing back the intensity going into the playoffs. He said that the year they won the President's Cup they went into cruise control and then lost to Los Angeles in the 1st round. He said that it was hard to get into playoff mode after taking the gas off the pedal. 

Given that he played in the playoffs with the Canucks for 7 years I think he knows what he's talking about.

I think they need to get themselves playing at a playoff push level now, so once they're in the 1st round they can keep pushing through. 1st round series are fast and if players haven't been in them as is with most of the Canucks rosters - the series can be over before players shift into playoff type playing.

Different coaches and players have different opinions but teams that have clinched almost always do dial it back at least a bit. You certainly don't want to making plays with a high risk of injury after clinching. It is hard to play at top intensity for a long period and top players do usually "pace themselves". But you don't want to go too far in that direction. Hitting the right balance is not easy but I am confident in Tocchet's judgement.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I agree, it will drop somewhat. I can see him still getting up to the sixties 3-4 years from now. Hopefully with some of our younger players in their prime and up and coming prospects doing their part, Miller will be relied on for just secondary scoring.

Edited by Captkirk888
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is a great point. Some keep waiting for that to happen. Others though saw that he's not the type of guy to mail it in because of money. He really isn't. 

It's a part of Post Benning Stress Disorder.

We're conditioned to think any contract $6+ million will blow up in the teams faces, like Loui Eriksson, and to a lesser extent Myers.

We know there's four lights, but we've suffered so much we start to see five.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

His production may drop when he gets older, but he will never mail it in and the great years we are getting out of him will have more than made up for that, especially if we win the Stanley Cup.

Exactly.

I fully expect that when he does maybe slow down a little people will jump in with "I told you so" aha stuff. But, as they do now, they'll over look what he HAS done and focus on only the negative, everything else will be overlooked. You have to love that we have this guy right now.....I bet every other team heading in to the playoffs would want him on their bench.

But...some are waiting to pounce on him in order to prove themselves right.

The other thing is, the type of game he plays is physical but he also stays in good shape so in your 30's it's not like you're 70. He's shown he's extremely durable and resilient and fitness will be a huge factor in that. His game isn't one that's based on speed and if he loses a step he can still position himself to be very effective. He's crafty and makes quick decisions....that part will still be intact. He sees plays and reacts really well. He can shield the puck and protect it well so that part shouldn't drop off significantly.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Exactly.

I fully expect that when he does maybe slow down people will jump in with "I told you so". But, as they do now, they'll over look what he HAS done and focus on only negative stuff. You have to love that we have this guy right now.....I bet every other team heading in to the playoffs would want him on their bench. 

The other thing is, the type of game he plays is physical but he also stays in good shape so in your 30's it's not like you're 70. He's shown he's extremely durable and resilient and fitness will be a huge factor in that. His game isn't one that's based on speed and if he loses a step he can still position himself to be very effective. He's crafty and makes quick decisions....that part will still be intact. He sees plays and reacts really well.

And we got him on a contract based on the salary cap at that time.

Imagine if he was heading into July 1st as a UFA. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he could command 11 million a year. Maybe even 12. 

37 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

I'm in the same boat, but also want Canucks to clinch 

Entire team will have to catch Covid-19 to even have a chance at missing the playoffs, Canucks are in . .. much more fun to watch Las Vegas shit the bed ... GO EVERY TEAM NOT VEGAS GO !!!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2