[PGT] Kings at Canucks

After the Avalanche game, in response to my asking when the last time was that Pettersson broke open a game, the response was:

Last Tues vs LAK.  Late second period he undressed Doughty to break the shutout.  It lifted the team, got confidence vs a stingy LAK while on the road.  

Then he made a sneaky pass to LAK bench in OT to draw a too many men penalty.   JT scores on the PP to win the game. 

First, a game that finished at 1-1 in regulation did not get broken open.

Second, scoring one goal and then later dumping a puck towards the bench to draw a too many men doesn't constitute breaking open a game.

In fact, the goal Pettersson scored in the 2-1 win was very similar to the one Lafferty scored last night: great move vs tired defenders resulting from a good previous shift to tie the game at 1. I doubt anyone would argue that Lafferty broke open that game 🤣

In fact, if there was ever a game in which the Canucks needed a player to break it open, last night was the game. The one player that came close to doing it was Hughes. Pettersson, on the other hand, did not come close to breaking it open.

I like the player, he does all the right things, I cheer for him just like I do any Canucks player, but I don't think he's the superstar or gamebreaker or play driver many here seem to think he is.

Edited by 43isprime

1 hour ago, arsenalian said:

So my family is from Hackney, where Graham Parker is from. I love Joe Jackson, his contemporary, and yet never heard of Graham Parker until now. I have some new to me music to explore. So thank you 😀

I've got everything he ever did (almost)(on vinyl).

You Hit the Spot is one of my favorites.

Liked Joe Jackson too, but not as much as GP.

GP:  Empty Lives (Get him!  Get them!  But don't get me.. to fill up your empty lives.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robinfood said:

If we get LA in the first round the boys have their work cut out for them. Their play style is our kryptonite. 

Rather see Vegas. We can beat LA and its going to be a tough series. Its just so damn boring watching the Kings play

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I think we can win against certain teams and dependant if the team is fully healthy - especially Demko, because without him I think you're right, that we'll be hard pressed to win a series aspecially the way the team has been playing since All-Star week.

No matter this year is about getting playoff experience because no normal person expects them to win the cup and if they manage to win a series or more - it's all a"BONUS" IMO.   

After this season PA & JR can try to patch some of our deficiences and replace the many players that won't be back as it is expected the team will loose 30-40% of the players by next season as we have 11 UFA/RFA's and we can't afford to keep them all and a couple of guys need to go.

This is true...

Lets see where we are really at come play offs time... No doubt it will be tough, but let the chips fall as they may... regardless of outcome, I'm a bit more optimistic, but agree any kind of progression will be a great achievement...

However the most important part is to get some play off games under the skin for these players so management can properly assess, where the team is at... 

Think 30-40% is a bit high but some players will depart...

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

@Dom said:  "Simner down tough guy"

Simner, Simner, who'd he play for?

Charlie Simmer played for the Seals:

Charlie Simmer 1974 California Golden Seals | HockeyGods

One tough dude, even when Rock'n' Th' Freak Flag, lol.

Seriously man, you reference the Seals? I know you know he was part of the Kings ‘Triple Crown’ line back in the day. Tough yes, but could put the puck in the net too. Don’t understand the freak flag bit,  elaborate if you want?

6 hours ago, Robinfood said:

If we get LA in the first round the boys have their work cut out for them. Their play style is our kryptonite. 

We will have to match there defensive play to beat them. Our offense is better than there's 

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

We will have to match there defensive play to beat them. Our offense is better than there's 

The Canucks are good defensively, but not LA good, especially on the pk.  The problem with that approach is that by trying to match them defensively, they have to sacrifice offense.  It's a nasty circle and always the hardest thing to manage when you go up against a team like that

3 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Some here might call this cherry picking...except it's called regression to the norm.

In another manner of speaking the Canucks put 1000% into summer training and the coaching staff and management had them firing on all cylinders to start the year. They blew the gates off but the competition levelled their games up as the season progressed. This is petty common in the NHL (sports) and there is always players or teams that just take the upcoming season more serious than others. 

After 41 games Canucks had 57 points .695% and 107 GA (2.6). In the last 31 we have 41 points and .681% and 85 GA (2.74). At least we've maintained the winning and goals against. We're going to need to find the scoring come playoffs.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

The Canucks are good defensively, but not LA good, especially on the pk.  The problem with that approach is that by trying to match them defensively, they have to sacrifice offense.  It's a nasty circle and always the hardest thing to manage when you go up against a team like that

LA got lucky bounces, that was the difference in that game.

"Not LA good" is a crock. The Canucks completely took over the game at times and it was goaltending and shot blocks that saved them. LA can be suffocating but people are far too afraid of them. I'm glad my team isn't.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

But we have a game in hand,

That Tweet is incorrect.  Game is tomorrow.

But yes, it will matter for conference standings. 

Practice today. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:
The #CanucksNHL_Vancouver_2023.png went after Chris Tanev at the trade deadline. They didn’t get him but we got him, 10:30am this morning on

Should be interesting. Wonder if he sais he had hoped; Nah, probably not. Think is was lack of term or $$$$ ?

Doubt Tanev played any part in the trade (other than what teams he submitted on his 'no trade list').   He's on an expiring deal, so he could always sign somewhere else after this season as well.

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

So what's your answer to beat LA

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

So what's your answer to beat LA

That's the rub, I think that's the worst possible matchup for Van.  Stick to your game and put a lot of pucks on net and crash hard.  Make Talbot work......quit looking for the best play, get guys in front and put the puck on net.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1