[PGT] Kings at Canucks

23 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

That Tweet is incorrect.  Game is tomorrow.

But yes, it will matter for conference standings. 

Practice today. 

Hard to believe Nashville is the #1 team in the NHL since Nov 15th (game 15).

I remember telling people not to sleep on them to start the year. The played very well last year after trading some vets at the deadline and are just a greatly run organization. Of course I also thought Canucks would be in a fight for a wildcard. So happy to have been wrong that one. 😄

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hard to believe Nashville is the #1 team in the NHL since Nov 15th (game 15).

I remember telling people not to sleep on them to start the year. The played very well last year after trading some vets at the deadline and are just a greatly run organization. Of course I also thought Canucks would be in a fight for a wildcard. So happy to have been wrong that one. 😄

Screenshot_20240327_091034_Facebook.jpg

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's the rub, I think that's the worst possible matchup for Van.  Stick to your game and put a lot of pucks on net and crash hard.  Make Talbot work......quit looking for the best play, get guys in front and put the puck on net.

I think if you can do that and get the first goal then it might force them to open up. Need demko to hold the fort 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think if you can do that and get the first goal then it might force them to open up. Need demko to hold the fort 

I think against LA, they get caught up trying to beat LA at their own game instead of making LA play their game.  Getting a lead, especially at least 2 goals is key........you have to get them to open up.

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's the rub, I think that's the worst possible matchup for Van.  Stick to your game and put a lot of pucks on net and crash hard.  Make Talbot work......quit looking for the best play, get guys in front and put the puck on net.

I think Vancouver would beat LA in a series. The Kings would stifle the Canucks offense at first, but Vancouver would physically wear LA down, and then break through the trap. The last five minutes of the game showed how much the Canucks can push the Kings back on their heels. Without Talbot holding the fort down, LA would have been ventilated. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Some here might call this cherry picking...except it's called regression to the norm.

Not saying it is so, but I do wonder if the games are a lot tighter going down the stretch as teams are battling for playoff spots.  Canucks offence has dried up a bit, but I think it's also consistent across the league.  I mean the Canucks are still 5th in GF overall.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not saying it is so, but I do wonder if the games are a lot tighter going down the stretch as teams are battling for playoff spots.  Canucks offence has dried up a bit, but I think it's also consistent across the league.  I mean the Canucks are still 5th in GF overall.

I always notice that scores are higher at the beginning of the season vs end of the season

my take is, teams are still learning to play as a unit at the beginning so defensive side can get a little sloppy

there is still room to get back into the playoff race when at the beginning so I would imagine teams really focus on getting their offensive side rolling out of the gate

at the end of the season playoff teams are looking to tighten up their games and play more responsibly which often means less scoring

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Vancouver would beat LA in a series. The Kings would stifle the Canucks offense at first, but Vancouver would physically wear LA down, and then break through the trap. The last five minutes of the game showed how much the Canucks can push the Kings back on their heels. Without Talbot holding the fort down, LA would have been ventilated. 

LA doesn't trap unless they dump the puck in and either go on a change or the other team quick retrieves and breaks out......every team, including the Canucks do that.  Even then, it's not a trap, they just clog up the n-zone.  A trap is a very specific play.

If they can get in on the fore check, they do and they play a 1-2-2, same as Van.  They're just very disciplined positionally and defensively and don't give their opposition much time or space.

To beat LA, van has to get early leads to make them open up.......even down by one, LA will play defense first and wait for a mistake, which will inevitably come

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That and there's no getting away from playing good teams in the playoffs. If we're scared shitless of LA we might as well pull out the golf clubs now 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Stick to your game

But does that make sense if you're saying we don't match up well against them? 

I do agree...more net front presence and dirty goals vs the perfect, pass it around then snipe. But two lucky goals for them made the difference...so I don't know that we should be afraid to match up against them or do too much differently. If those saves are made, we win.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That and there's no getting away from playing good teams in the playoffs. If we're scared shitless of LA we might as well pull out the golf clubs now 

Exactly what I thought.

Oh well, just don't even bother then. Pencil in the big bad teams and call it a day.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

Even then, it's not a trap, they just clog up the n-zone.  A trap is a very specific play.

My understanding is that's the definition of "trap"....clogging up the neutral zone and forcing turnovers.

So can you describe the "specific play" you're referring to? I'm genuinely curious (as you have played the game and I have not).

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Reality is the other teams don't wanna face the Canucks either.  Playing against Miller sucks.  Playing against Hughes sucks.  Trying to score on Demko sucks.  Trying to fight through the monster defencemen sucks.  I'm sure the Canucks are not at the top of the list for many teams (if any).

Nux need to focus on their game and get healthy before round 1.  All this talk about who they want to play isn't a focus for the players.  It's good for media and radio talk.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Nux need to focus on their game and get healthy before round 1.  All this talk about who they want to play isn't a focus for the players.  It's good for media and radio talk.

LOL I don't know that it's good for anyone.

Big bad teams that we should be scared of? No.

Teams believe in their game and we have a lot of supporting evidence this year to provide some confidence. Of course, no one should go in believing it's going to be easy. Nor should they buy into how impossibly tough it will be. Especially after a game where one team squeaked out a pretty lucky win.

Play the game as you know how and may the best team win. That's not decided beforehand as much as some try to push that narrative.

LOL @ Tanev when asked where his game's at?  "Good [pause] well not last night" (talked about getting used to the new team).

Shocked at being traded...never happened before but was "going to a good team". Talking about Dallas' depth and fire power.

Now talking about Huggy....not surprised that he keeps taking his game to a new level. Super dynamic.

Would he come back to Van? Obviously took the high road...focused on his team now.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Exactly. I have to believe that every player is excited and dying to get to the post season. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

It might not be a focus, but I guarantee the players are watching the standings and have teams they'd rather face than others

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Vancouver did pull Desmith with 4:30

left in the game and again after Boeser’s goal. Pretty much one man advantage for last 4 minutes. 

• Cheers 1