[PGT] Kings at Canucks

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's speculation which is defined as the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence, which Dom admitted to. And fearmongering, the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue, is nowhere near the correct description of a hockey fan ruminating over the possibility of a player having a season ending injury.

I know the difference, thanks. I stand by my thoughts.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not sure it'll be possible if Hronek's salary demands have to begin with an 8. To me, Zadorov is a more important player to sign, as he helps the team play bigger and with much more confidence. His offense is nothing to sneeze at either. 

Every once in a while he makes some really nice plays stickhandling and skating. He has only averaged 19 points per 82 games in his 11 seasons though, and aside from last year isn't a big goalscorer either. Not bad but I wouldn't want to be playing $5 mil plus for a big body 3rd liner. We simply can't afford that.

Before the game Monday when they asked Quinn he said he is comfortable playing with anyone but that Hronek has really elevated his game in a special way and makes him better, and he hopes he has made Hronek better. He seems to think there is a big difference. I would listen to Captain Quinn myself, I think it probably ends up being a mistake if we let him go.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm pretty sure you understand what I was trying to say in that our system of development is much better, stable, productive, patient and measured. Our approach to development is smarter and the way it should be, which is the difference than the previous regime.

Gotcha.  Yes it's better.  And the dividends will start happening.   I just don't think we had much of a chance in hell back then either.   Of flipping cores like trading cards.    That part was always going to take time.  Like drafting an 18 year old kid and developing takes time.   And when you don't have any in the system, shortcuts were regrettably made.     

We still aren't completely out of the woods yet.  For sure it's looking a lot better.    As for how long it took, cheered the team on but never expected it to be a quick experience. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's speculation which is defined as the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence, which Dom admitted to. And fearmongering, the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue, is nowhere near the correct description of a hockey fan ruminating over the possibility of a player having a season ending injury.

Semantics, regardless still premature to jump to worst case scenario. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Every once in a while he makes some really nice plays stickhandling and skating. He has only averaged 19 points per 82 games in his 11 seasons though, and aside from last year isn't a big goalscorer either. Not bad but I wouldn't want to be playing $5 mil plus for a big body 3rd liner. We simply can't afford that.

Before the game Monday when they asked Quinn he said he is comfortable playing with anyone but that Hronek has really elevated his game in a special way and makes him better, and he hopes he has made Hronek better. He seems to think there is a big difference. I would listen to Captain Quinn myself, I think it probably ends up being a mistake if we let him go.

That's not worth $8m+ x 8, imo

Edited by stawns
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

52 minutes ago, Dom said:

Seems like he agrees with some of us. 

Oh he thinks we suck, Boeser sucks, Lindholm is done, effort sucks, goalies suck, coaching sucks, we can't win the division, sky is falling, and the season is over? Hmmm, I wonder if that's what's written on the whiteboard.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's fuel for those prone to (or looking for or even needing) alarmism. That's the problem. 

It also feeds into the narrative some have and projected early on that the team won't do anything in the playoffs. Every update that puts them closer to that is noteworthy I guess. Hoping to be right? It's kind of weird to me.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

There's no word that Zadorov's camp (Milstein) isn't going to budge from $5M at all. There is no indication that he's not willing to work with Alvin, although there doesn't seem to be much word regardless. 

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm sure Alvin takes all things into consideration when he makes offers to players, including how the player plays with others. That being said, Tocchet has put Hronek with other players, probably to see how he works running a pair. I don't think he's worth $8M+, and I think Alvin may think the same, based on the first offer, which was intentionally lowball, to see where Hronek's camp was at, which they found out quickly. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It also feeds into the narrative some have and projected early on that the team won't do anything in the playoffs. Every update that puts them closer to that is noteworthy I guess. Hoping to be right? It's kind of weird to me.

Yep. Bang on. Exactly. The "first round exit narrative" held all that together for years. We've been one of the best teams all season and that narrative is still being pushed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Line ups at practice:

Hogz Petie Garland
Joshua Miller Boeser
Mik Bluegar Lafferty 
Podz Suter Aman

Our scoring is down like about one less goal a game from the beginning of the year. Everyone is getting in playoff mode. Our defense is very good and plays a heavy game. But our forwards have been fighting for space in these tight checking games. I'm glad Joshua is back he'll help with that. He brings push back. Mik Blu and Laff will be a good shut down line and can hold their own against big teams.  

4th line needs to be more physical.  I'd do PDG or Juulsen on the 4th line for support in the 'guts of the ice'. Especially Juul's, his hits can change momentum. 

*I like the idea of adding a big body with Petie. But Garland and Hogz have been nearly perfect as line mates.

** What does Demko's extra cap space mean? Can we add to the roster?

Well I gotta say I like the look of that lineup a lot better. Mikheyev should stay in the bottom 6. Joshua with Miller/Boeser looks good. Petey has 2 capable wingers with him. Podz/Suter/Aman should hold their own. My guess Aman will come out at some point for Bains. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yep. Bang on. Exactly. The "first round exit narrative" held all that together for years. We've been one of the best teams all season and that narrative is still being pushed. 

Thing is, only one team will get through it all but that doesn't mean that the rest are invalid or not worthy of appreciation, support and acknowledgement.

One team.

So if they're planning on their "AHA told you so" moment it's kind of lame. The odds are in the favour of NOT lifting a cup but that doesn't mean these predictions are somehow incredible insight. Just a numbers thing.

And this team very well could.....based on how the season's unfolding. Sure, cherry pick certain games where the outcome could've easily gone either way. One team got a couple lucky bounces...I didn't see a glaring discrepancy in quality of play.

No matter what, this team's out performed most everyone's expectations and they are a good team. They are in the conversation and shouldn't be taken lightly. We've had plenty of "aha, told you so" moments all season that support the Canucks being a good team. But they don't show up for those moments.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh he thinks we suck, Boeser sucks, Lindholm is done, effort sucks, goalies suck, coaching sucks, we can't win the division, sky is falling, and the season is over? Hmmm, I wonder if that's what's written on the whiteboard.

Boeser has been amazing, almost 40g.

Lindholm is done I am sure of it, but if not that's awesome as he has been a beast in the circle. 

Effort definitely doesn't suck, but they are learning to win, some mistakes are expected.

Coaching sucks? Who the fuck said that LOL. Tocchet is beast, I do disagree with a few of his lines, but he is the coach, not me.

I didn't think we could win the division, but it's almost guaranteed we will. 

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Great post! Even Calgary fans said Zad is good, we're going to love his compete, size and attitude, but he's inconsistent at times, comes in flashes. I was thinking that the other night after his two goals. When will we see that again. But for playoff hockey, we absolutely need someone like Zad, his size, compete, grit, intensity, and his ability to create and spark offense like the other night. This was a great acquisition for our blueline with playoffs in mind. If we can keep him, great! He seems fine being a nomad though.

You're bang on with Hronek. He also creates room for Hughes to elevate and excell. It's complimentary hockey IQ and intuition. This is the territory of a player that Petey needs on a line, imo. You don't give your superstar Norris caliber defenseman a taste of chemistry and success only to take it away. Hronek needs to realize this is his window for greatness as well and be fair. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Dom said:

Boeser has been amazing, almost 40g.

Lindholm is done I am sure of it, but if not that's awesome as he has been a beast in the circle. 

Effort definitely doesn't suck, but they are learning to win, some mistakes are expected.

Coaching sucks? Who the fuck said that LOL. Tocchet is beast, I do disagree with a few of his lines, but he is the coach, not me.

I didn't think we could win the division, but it's almost guaranteed we will. 

What indications tell you Lindholm is done?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's not worth $8m+ x 8, imo

No, I don't want to pay him that much either but right now our alternative is we can play Juulsen instead at $775,000 for one year. That certainly is worth it but we're also not going anywhere either that way imo.

It's quite the pickle either way but it's ironic that as soon as we find a top notch option that works like a charm we're also considering throwing it away. I honestly don't know what the answer is so I'm not just arbitrarily disagreeing with you.

I was just intrigued by the words coming straight from Quinn. Apparently you can't just put garbage like Ethan Bear, or even the beloved Luke Schenn beside him and expect he's going to be as good as he is this year. At least that's what I got out of the comments. Big misconception on a lot of people's parts. It doesn't seem to matter that Hronek isn't overly big, or even good at defence per se, but it works like Cheech and ketchup.

At the end of the day we need 2 decent RD to play in front of Juulsen.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

What indications tell you Lindholm is done?

no good ones, that's for sure. 

a guy who is day-to-day and is only missing time because the team can afford to let him have it to get his mind right, is far from "done".

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I was impressed with how the Canucks were playing up until the back to back errant goals.

LA's bread and butter is playing a 'shut down' game and holding onto a lead.  The Canucks

had little chance to get in close to score a goal. It soon became apparent they couldn't

shed the Kings tight defensive structure.

IMG_3324.png.8cf59a7a370730f7a8eac3f8aad33d56.pngIMG_3323.png.61270fb8ee7ac3cdbb127baf96b43ec5.png

Actually, Vancouver had many chances in tight. LAK were the lucky ones to have even scored 3 times with how few opportunities they had in close. VAN played a much better shutdown system, they just were victims of a couple bad bounces.

• Cheers 3