[PGT] Kings at Canucks

2 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I'd be a pathetic, sad, jealous individual too if I had to cheer for the Leafs! They already know their team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs and are lashing out. I almost feel bad for them!

I don't feel bad for them at all. They're one of the worst

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

There's no doubt that, by far, Hronny is the most talented partner Quinn has had since he became

an NHL player.  He has had a terrific impact on Quinn's game, while his own game has had

marginally better stats than the season before.  Granted; Quinn has a few years before he

reaches his peak, while Hronny is just on the verge of starting his peak years.

Hronny will be looking for a big $ increase with full term, which will push the Canucks into

making a big decision.  I see a similarity in the Bo situation, where the team salary cap

mandated a fixed price tag, which Bo turned down.

The team would get a great return on a trade, but the outcome would not include a right shot

dman that can (currently) play at Hronny's level.

Yeah I agree on the similarity to the Bo situation but it points out a key point I think some people are glazing over/not recognizing. Bo was traded because we couldn't afford a $7-$8 million dollar 3rd line center. We already had Miller and Petterson signed to play center. Hronek represents by far our best RD on the team. Imo you have to build a good core of a team to be successful. If you want to compete for the Cup you need top options at C,LW,RW,LD, and RD. You need at least one guy at each position you can count on to build a team around. Currently that's Hronek, so if not him then we need to replace him. 

I think I'd rather give him an extra $500,000 as compared to rolling with 

Myers

Juulsen

Ufa

That would not get it done and we'd probably overpay in UFA anyway. Also, it's just an opinion but I think management plays this pretty tight and we sign hm for something reasonable in the 7's anyway. Also, Hronek may only be matching last year's stats but he also plays with Quinn who steals all the points. You can just sense how grateful Quinn is that he's playing with someone on his level of hockey intelligence.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

No, I don't want to pay him that much either but right now our alternative is we can play Juulsen instead at $775,000 for one year. That certainly is worth it but we're also not going anywhere either that way imo.

It's quite the pickle either way but it's ironic that as soon as we find a top notch option that works like a charm we're also considering throwing it away. I honestly don't know what the answer is so I'm not just arbitrarily disagreeing with you.

I was just intrigued by the words coming straight from Quinn. Apparently you can't just put garbage like Ethan Bear, or even the beloved Luke Schenn beside him and expect he's going to be as good as he is this year. At least that's what I got out of the comments. Big misconception on a lot of people's parts. It doesn't seem to matter that Hronek isn't overly big, or even good at defence per se, but it works like Cheech and ketchup.

At the end of the day we need 2 decent RD to play in front of Juulsen.

Ufa, trade......lots of ways to skin that cat.  Also good to remember that willander just spent a season playing with a very similar player, so all they might need is placeholder 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Every once in a while he makes some really nice plays stickhandling and skating. He has only averaged 19 points per 82 games in his 11 seasons though, and aside from last year isn't a big goalscorer either. Not bad but I wouldn't want to be playing $5 mil plus for a big body 3rd liner. We simply can't afford that.

Before the game Monday when they asked Quinn he said he is comfortable playing with anyone but that Hronek has really elevated his game in a special way and makes him better, and he hopes he has made Hronek better. He seems to think there is a big difference. I would listen to Captain Quinn myself, I think it probably ends up being a mistake if we let him go.

I agree everyone should just listen to me and my opinions 

• Huggy Bear 1

52 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I agree on the similarity to the Bo situation but it points out a key point I think some people are glazing over/not recognizing. Bo was traded because we couldn't afford a $7-$8 million dollar 3rd line center. We already had Miller and Petterson signed to play center. Hronek represents by far our best RD on the team. Imo you have to build a good core of a team to be successful. If you want to compete for the Cup you need top options at C,LW,RW,LD, and RD. You need at least one guy at each position you can count on to build a team around. Currently that's Hronek, so if not him then we need to replace him. 

I think I'd rather give him an extra $500,000 as compared to rolling with 

Myers

Juulsen

Ufa

That would not get it done and we'd probably overpay in UFA anyway. Also, it's just an opinion but I think management plays this pretty tight and we sign hm for something reasonable in the 7's anyway. Also, Hronek may only be matching last year's stats but he also plays with Quinn who steals all the points. You can just sense how grateful Quinn is that he's playing with someone on his level of hockey intelligence.

I agree, Gadz, he would be next to impossible to replace.  The problem lies in what the signing $ will be

enough.  Looking at the top paid dman in his age range, he fits right in with the +8m range.  Whether or

not the Nucks can sign him at that price, or how much it will cost the rest of the team, is yet to be seen.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Ufa, trade......lots of ways to skin that cat.  Also good to remember that willander just spent a season playing with a very similar player, so all they might need is placeholder 

Yup, that's true. Just as long as people don't think Myers or some other cheap scrub is just going to waltz in and replace what that duo has accomplished. If they can trade him for a RD that's adequate and cheaper sure, but you have to wonder why the other team would do that (might work though). Who would be a UFA replacement, and at what cost, for a team who has desperately struggled to find options at RD?

I'm not hell bent one way or the other really. If they do it another way, that's fine, but they could be messing with Quinn, and our entire D if it doesn't work out. What kind of money would you be comfortable paying a top RD? It is nice we have Soucy, Juulsen, and Willander all coming up. Cheap.

Imo we should be concentrating our efforts on finding a 2RD. We already have a 1RD, and a 3RD. Finding one will be tough let alone two, one being a 1st liner.

• Cheers 1

No, I don't want to pay him that much either but right now our alternative is we can play Juulsen instead at $775,000 for one year. That certainly is worth it but we're also not going anywhere either that way imo.

It's quite the pickle either way but it's ironic that as soon as we find a top notch option that works like a charm we're also considering throwing it away. I honestly don't know what the answer is so I'm not just arbitrarily disagreeing with you.

I was just intrigued by the words coming straight from Quinn. Apparently you can't just put garbage like Ethan Bear, or even the beloved Luke Schenn beside him and expect he's going to be as good as he is this year. At least that's what I got out of the comments. Big misconception on a lot of people's parts. It doesn't seem to matter that Hronek isn't overly big, or even good at defence per se, but it works like Cheech and ketchup.

At the end of the day we need 2 decent RD to play in front of Juulsen.

That'd be a good question for PA. Can we find a serviceable replacement for Hronek at 5-6M

Who's available in trade.

What could we get for Hronek?

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2024 at 4:55 PM, Darius said:

I found a good site that breaks down the playoff matchups with probabilities.  As of today they put the Canucks odds at 1st in Pacific at 92% and their matchup will be the Preds @48%, GKnights @21%.   Just hover over the positions and the probabilities/matchups pop up.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/nhlplayoffschedule.html

This is a great find thank you... Okay I guess I've been hiding under a rock... Or just not paying attention to the playoffs indepeth to care but I thought the playoff seating was:

1 vs 8

2 vs 7

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

Instead it's

1st in Pacific vs 8th seed in w. Conference.

1st in Central vs 7th seed in w. Conference.

Then #2 vs #3 in each divison!

So that means if we win the division, the Coilers go against either L.A. or Vegas!  I love those match ups!!!  Even of the Coil win, they will be pretty beaten up!  Both are heavy teams.  But I hope they face L.A..  And then Vegas plays either Dallas or Colorado... Also great match ups!!!  

I'm okay with Nashville if in fact thats who we play 1st round.  

Just so fucking excited the playoffs are soooo close now!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

This is a great find thank you... Okay I guess I've been hiding under a rock... Or just not paying attention to the playoffs indepeth to care but I thought the playoff seating was:

1 vs 8

2 vs 7

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

Instead it's

1st in Pacific vs 8th seed in w. Conference.

1st in Central vs 7th seed in w. Conference.

Then #2 vs #3 in each divison!

So that means if we win the division, the Coilers go against either L.A. or Vegas!  I love those match ups!!!  Even of the Coil win, they will be pretty beaten up!  Both are heavy teams.  But I hope they face L.A..  And then Vegas plays either Dallas or Colorado... Also great match ups!!!  

I'm okay with Nashville if in fact thats who we play 1st round.  

Just so fucking excited the playoffs are soooo close now!!!!

Actually not quite right…

its actually…

• The division winner with the best record in each conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lesser record  So 1st in the conference vs. 2nd wc seed
    • The wild card team with the better record will play the other division winner
    • So Pacific OR Central Div. Winner depending on who has the lesser record vs. 1st wc seed

Of course when the Canucks clinch the conference, then what you said is correct.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Actually not quite right…

its actually…

• The division winner with the best record in each conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lesser record  So 1st in the conference vs. 2nd wc seed
    • The wild card team with the better record will play the other division winner
    • So Pacific OR Central Div. Winner depending on who has the lesser record vs. 1st wc seed

Of course when the Canucks clinch the conference, then what you said is correct.

Thanks... That makes sense.  Nashville or Vegas... I'm good with that.

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I hope so. Guentzel and Toffoli are rocking it with their new teams. 

TT has 6 points in 9 games.

Good, but not Earth shattering.

In addition Winnipeg is on a 4 game losing streak. And 4-5-1 in the last 10 games.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

I don't feel bad for them at all. They're one of the worst

I'm scared we'll follow their model. Petie getting a Swedish bump in pay and Hronek possibly a Huggy bump in pay. We'll be heading towards their top heavy style contract wise. 

36 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

2.5 weeks left in season 

totally cool of Lindy needs it all to recover as long as he is good to go for playoffs - and his next contract depends on it 

Good point. He needs to finish strong with our without us next year.