The 100 Plus points thread. FIVE Games Remain!!!

The next ten games to glory!

March 28th: Home game vs Dallas Stars LOST at HOME

Coming three days after a home loss to the Kings, Dallas will bring its 22-9-5 away record to our barn to face Vancouver's 24-8-4 home record.
The stars play tonight against the Sharks in their 2nd road game in a row before hitting Vancouver for game three of their trip.

This is the final game between the two clubs of the season with VAN winning 2-0 at home Nov 4th; DAL winning 4-3 in OT at home Dec 21st

March 31st: Home game vs Anaheim Ducks WIN AT HOME!

Another three days from Dallas and we will host the Ducks who are now only fighting for a lotto shot at Celebrini.  Ducks away record is 13-19-2 and they play the Oilers the Night before. Should be a no contest win for Vancouver, but these ducks have some surprises in that they are also a young up and coming club that shouldn't be taken for granted. 12 of their starting 18 skaters are 25 or younger with something to show the world.

Vancouver won 3-1 on November 28th, and again March 3rd 2-1. This will also be our final matchup of the season.

April 2nd: Away game vs Vegas Golden KnightsLOST on the Road

Currently sitting in the last Wildcard spot, Vegas home record is 23-11-2 vs Canucks away record 21-11-4. Vegas is on the road facing the Preds tonight, the Jets Thursday and the Wild on March 30th before the Canucks in their own barn. This will be a tone setter as we face Vegas once more.
VGK beat us Nov 30th 4-1 and we got them back March 7th with a 3-1 win.

April 3rd: Away game vs Arizona CoyotesWIN on the ROAD!

ARI is looking at ways to out-lose Columbus as Vancouver rolls into their barn for the 2nd night of a back to back away trip.

The NHL's Mullet Hairdo Team has an 18-17-0 record at the Mullet Arena. Vancouvers away record and Arizona's desire to get a better pick at the draft make this one tough to get excited for but its a possible 2 more points for the 100 plus points push for our guys.
Canucks won 2-1 January 18th. This game and another last game later in April will complete the series.

April 6th: Away game vs Los Angeles KingsLOST on the Road

Having just won last night by a single goal, the Kings will host Vancouver for their fourth game in 6 nights, one away, one home, one away and one home. That has to tire a guy out, right? LA is in 3rd in our division with Vegas pushing hard at their heals. Whoever ends up in that last WC spot has a tough first round opponent so expect everyone to be playing to win.
Feb 29th the Kings beat us 5-1. last night they beat us 3-2.. Making this Saturday Night Fight one to watch!!!

April 8th: Home game vs Vegas Golden KnightsWIN AT HOME!

see notes from April 2nd

VGK away record is 16-14-5 compared to Vancouver's home record of 24-8-4

April 10th: Home game vs Arizona CoyotesLOST in OT on the Road

see notes from April 3rd

Yotes away record is an abysmal 11-20-5 while Vancouver is a juggernaut at home.

April 13th: Away game vs Edmonton OilersWIN on the ROAD!

Ten points back of us with 13 games remaining the Coil are steaming and they smell something cooking. 

When the game arrives it will the oilers 10th in 19 days, their 3rd game in 4 nights and they will have played the Yotes the day before.
They have come on strong after a weak start to the season, but will they have enough gas to catch the 10 points divide and beat out Vancouver for 1st in the Pacific? they need to win five JUST to catch us, but this game is a TRUE FOUR POINTER for the very reason that only the Coil can catch us in the Pac due to their games in hand.

We beat em in our Season Opener 8-1 back on Oct 11th. Three days later we beat em again 4-3. Nov 6th we beat em again 6-2
No wonder they had a shitty start to their year, hehe. This will be the first and last time since that three game early sweep between the two top clubs in the Pacific Division. 

April 16th: Home game vs Calgary FlamesWIN AT HOME!

A three day rest before this home game for the 'Nucks. As of writing this, CGY is effectively out of any reasonable playoffs hope. Their 15-15-4 away record limps into Vancouver's 24-8-4 home record as of writing. CGY currently picks 10th in the coming draft, but with some key loses could sit 8th in the draft lotto. Not a gimme for the Canucks, but as good a chance at 2 points by this stage in the season as Arizona, doubly so with our home ice. 

Nov 16th they beat us 5-2. We bested them 4-3 on Dec 2nd and again 4-2 last week. 

April 18th: away game vs Winnipeg JetsLOST on the Road

Finally, the best season since the Twins will come to an end against these Jets only a few days before round 1 begins for the Post Season Dance.

Quietly WPG has had a great season in their own right, and boast a home record of 23-8-3,comparable to the Canucks. Fending off a Challenge from Nashville, WPG is not likely to catch the Stars, and could be in the first WC slot by the time this game rolls around. They will be fighting for every point and can not be taken lightly. Will Vancouver be tempted to rest some key ingredients? Probably not if we have not secured home ice for at least three rounds. With nine games between today and this final one, we will have to watch and shoot on the situation. Stay tuned. 

Feb 17th the Jets beat us 4-2. We got some measure of revenge in a 5-0 shutout win over them March 9th. The rubber match will end the season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

A top 3 regular season for sure, only being eclipsed by our presidents' trophy winning seasons. With a chance to even beat that 111 point season, it really is one of the all-time bests.

Edit: Good chance that Hughes wins the first Norris Trophy in franchise history too, that alone makes it historic.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

This season not only has the potential to be among our BEST results in franchise history, but it has a distinct position among all our previous 'eras' in that this is Quinn Hughes first year as our captain. We are not yet seeing peak Hughes, peak Petey, peak Hogger, or peak Podz as every one of those amazing guys is under the age of 25. I submit we are seeing something very special in the making, and while this may not be our cup winning year, this is the foundational year for the era of Hughes. I think it will be fun for a long long time in Vancouver Hockey and I think we are coming close to our best shot at a Cup since game 7 2011. Thoughts?

This is probably the most important thing of all.  This core is YOUNG.  The other times we've hit this level of play, the core was much older... pretty much pushing 30 years old.  The other differentiation is none other than our Captain.  Quinn Hughes separates this core from every other core in franchise history.  A true #1, Norris level defenceman.  You pretty much absolutely need one to win a Cup.  We've got him. 

Deep down, under all the bandages of heartache and pain these past several decades, I feel like we are gonna see a Cup here in the near future.  I feel more confident about it than I've ever felt before. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 2

Not to burst any bubbles, but you have to include the Linden era as well.   Not many of the post lockout seasons were legit 100 point ones.   92-93 gets overlooked.   It set a lot of club records, some that won't ever be broken.    Sure they were legit, but you'd have to add 10 points to some of the other teams we had prior to the lockout to get a proper lens.   Thanks to the loser point.  100 is the "new 90".   Point season. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not to burst any bubbles, but you have to include the Linden era as well.   Not many of the post lockout seasons were legit 100 point ones.   92-93 gets overlooked.   It set a lot of club records, some that won't ever be broken.    Sure they were legit, but you'd have to add 10 points to some of the other teams we had prior to the lockout to get a proper lens.   Thanks to the loser point.  100 is the "new 90".   Point season. 

counter point: 84 game seasons, 24 team league, no salary cap parity. 

57 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good point.

3 minutes ago, tas said:

counter point: 84 game seasons, 24 team league, no salary cap parity. 

Good counter point.

Now FIGHT!!! 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

When i write the book about it, i will delve deeper than our 9 100 point seasons, but as the title of the thread says....

• Cheers 1

Nice thread @Optimist Prime, would love to see JT hit the century mark. EP40, unfortunately in my mind won’t hit 100 points. 

Hughes has a chance to hit 100 in the next 2-3 years.

I believe JT Miller is the third Canucks player to hit over 90 points multiple times?

Edited by The Aquaman
  • MillerTime 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

How do people like our chances vs the Golden Knights in 1st round? If it is with Stone, Hertl, Pietrangelo returning to the lineup before the playoffs. 

Bring em on 

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

When i write the book about it, i will delve deeper than our 9 100 point seasons, but as the title of the thread says....

Need to edit 92-93.   1st in Smythe, 3rd in conference.   4th overall for goals scored (franchise record of 348) and 5th overall for goals allowed.    A lot of milestones reached that year players too.   Dixon Ward and Murzyn setting plus minus records for a D and forward...Bure one of the few Canucks ever voted as a first string All-Star (thanks to Jagr the only time) and the first to do so.     It gets forgotten. 

Also shout out to 91-92 season,  96 points in 80 games, first in Smythe 2nd in the conference .   That's better then all but two of the post lockout seasons, take away the OT W's and make them ties, or at least take away the SOW, it's a team sport, and make them ties, just go by RW's hard to do the extra point.     Even consider the OTL, because when OT first came in, it was win or LOSE in OT.    To era adjust 4 x 4 and 3 x 3... just consider all shoot out wins and losses as ties.   OTL maybe half losses because how can you compare that to 5 x 5 winner takes all?    It for sure adds at least ten points on average.   90 points used to be a good season with 80 games.   .500 decent.   Now almost all teams are .500 even the bad ones.    Something to consider while writing your book.   Take some time and talk to folks.    90 was a good season.   .500 a playoff team.    And 100 points, extraordinary.   Second in the conference with 96 points.   How many of our 100 point teams, pre and post lockout, managed that or more, and how many points did it take?

IMO, 100 is the new 90, and 110 is the new 100.   And has been now for decades. 

At least honourable mention the 91-92 season.   It for sure matches up better than 2009, 2010 and 2015.    If we didn't lose Larionov ... yikes those teams would have been even better.    Believe it might be the only time we finished 2nd in the Conference too...and CAL, WNP were awfully good back then, LA too.    Beating WNP was something (92),  LA (Ronning) too.  

As for this team - it's got a chance to have one of the best ever.   Needs to run the table ... but figure we've got at least another 10 points in the bag.   108-110, today, i'd argue is like 96 points back then in 80 games.    TO was also very good back then as well.   One of the few times they managed 100 points, that during the Sundin era, and the Mathews era that's it.   100 point seasons pre-lockout,  was very difficult to do.    Some monster teams in the West ... DET and COL later. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, tas said:

including that 92-93 team. 

See above.   91-92 team, 96 points in 80 games ... no loser points.  1st in Smythe, second in conference...that's got to be one of the best seasons ever, aside from the Presidents trophy...people that think 94 was a "fluke" weren't watching that team back then.    And better in the playoffs than regular season...you won't find many first round losses.   7 consecutive playoff appearances from 89 (FU Otto) - 96 (FU Messier incomming!), old core out, new core in, and it was as young as this one is right now.   Linden would have been 25 or maybe 26.   Didn't see playoffs while he was gone.

Four years later the WCE was born, Linden was back, and we saw playoffs again.   If we are talking about the best in club history ... let's include playoffs.    

The Luongo era was on par with the 90's teams,  better in the regular season,  a  bit less of the "it" factor in the post season. 

Having Linden on your team, was like an automatic bye to the second round.    Even late in his career, it was Linden who solved Turco.    As our 3rd line C, PKer no PP time. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The Aquaman said:

Nice thread @Optimist Prime, would love to see JT hit the century mark. EP40, unfortunately in my mind won’t hit 100 points. 

Hughes has a chance to hit 100 in the next 2-3 years.

I believe JT Miller is the third Canucks player to hit over 90 points multiple times?

Love to see him in the 100 plus point club.    Bure, Naslund, H. Sedin and yes, Miller.   Some special company, all those guys are in the rafters, and Miller is playing his way into them right now.   11 seasons is enough.   And pretty sure, he will have some heroic moments in the post season.   

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

15 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

image.jpeg.920090033a9725df7d90da79b1adb6b8.jpeg

With ten games remaining and just 9 seasons in Canucks History with 100 points or more, how will this regular season go down in Canucks History?

Our Vancouver Canucks have enjoyed only nine seasons with three digit point totals. This year will be our tenth. The following is the list of those nine seasons, and how well the post season that followed them went. Let's take a little peak at what we have enjoyed prior to this year, before it is in the history books. We can learn a thing or two about our trajectory, window of opportunity and how awesome this year truly is with a little insight into our record from other great seasons. The Naslund era bleeds somewhat into the Sedins era, so I am acknowledging that the Sedins were involved in 8 of our nine 100+points seasons, but for the purposes of breakdown of era's I am using the formatting you see below. 

Trevor Linden's peak Canucks Season... (good results the year before and a cup finals appearance the year after)

1992-93. 101 point season. 1st in the Campbell Conference. 3rd in the old Smyth Division.---: Second Round Loss.

Marcus Naslund's peak Canucks Seasons...(Awesome captain, my personal fav C, pending peak Quin. haha)

2002-03.  104 point season. 4th in the Western Conference, 2nd in the Northwest Division.---: Conf. Semifinals loss

2003-04  101 point season. 3rd in the Western Conference, 1st in the Northwest Division.---: Conf. Quarter finals loss.

2006-07  105 point season. 3rd in the Western Conference, 1st in the Northwest Division.---: Conf. Semifinals loss.

The Sedins peak Canucks seasons.... (more than half our nine 100+point seasons, thank you Hank and Dank! inc.4 strait years!)

2008-09.  100 point season. 3rd in the Western Conference, 1st in the Northwest Division.---: Conf. Semifinals loss

2009-10.  103 point season. 3rd in the Western Conference, 1st in the Northwest Division.---: Conf. Semifinals loss

2010-11.  117 point season. 1st in the Western Conference, 1st in the Northwest Division.---: Stanley Cup Final loss in Game 7

2011-12.  111 point season. 1st in the Western Conference, 1st in the Northwest Division.---: Conf. Quarter Final loss

2014-15. 101 point season. 5th in the Western Conference, 2nd in the Pacific Division.---: First Round loss to the flames.

The First Quin Hughes as Canucks Captain season... Feels like a dream, looks like a dream and imho is a year or two ahead of schedule.

2023-24.  98 points with 10 games remaining, (@60% win rate: 110 point season, more or less of course)

This season not only has the potential to be among our BEST results in franchise history, but it has a distinct position among all our previous 'eras' in that this is Quinn Hughes first year as our captain. We are not yet seeing peak Hughes, peak Petey, peak Hogger, or peak Podz as every one of those amazing guys is under the age of 25. I submit we are seeing something very special in the making, and while this may not be our cup winning year, this is the foundational year for the era of Hughes. I think it will be fun for a long long time in Vancouver Hockey and I think we are coming close to our best shot at a Cup since game 7 2011. Thoughts?

Other thoughts.   The 2023-2024 season, reminds me of the 91-92, even the 92-93 season, and to a degree the 2010 one as well.   You can tell the team was on the precipice of something great.   Doesn't remind me of the WCE era, that one just had too many deficiencies.     To me the Sedin era is the Luongo era,  same thing.   When he came in, you could feel things were going to change, and for the better.   His first 3 years, the team lived or died mostly on what he could manage.    

It's been a very long time since we've had this type of pop gun offense.   And just as long since our D-core, wasn't average or small.   Even with QHs and Hronek in it.    It's unique.   On a different thread I went with the current team as the best, only because none of them won a cup.   94 was awfully close.   All those teams (the 100 point plus and 91-92),  we went into the post season, with hope. 

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

How do people like our chances vs the Golden Knights in 1st round? If it is with Stone, Hertl, Pietrangelo returning to the lineup before the playoffs. 

We have to play somebody?

Kings have had our number,

Preds are red hot,

Knights are stacked....

At this moment I say take, whoever we get, show them respect and bury them....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

We have to play somebody?

Kings have had our number,

Preds are red hot,

Knights are stacked....

At this moment I say take, whoever we get, show them respect and bury them....

Yep.  94 team had to beat CAL.   They were absolutely stacked.    Several 50 goal scorers, a deserved albiet late addition to the HHOF who had our number in 89, and an all world all-time best defenseman who could score 30 plus on his own too.   Vegas can cheat all they want.   Hope they do, hope it's a hard won series for us ... Have a lot of respect for Stone.    Love to see him and JT Miller going at it hammer and tong with Eichel.    

And of course slaying the dragon in 2011...Personally think why not us?   And again the same thing next season ... why not?   For the first time in over a decade, we have 7 legit NHL D's.   No AHLers.   The support players are there as well.   Lindholm is here to boost our top six.      And we have guys that i'm pretty sure, have the IT factor come the real season.   From the net out. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  94 team had to beat CAL.   They were absolutely stacked.    Several 50 goal scorers, a deserved albiet late addition to the HHOF who had our number in 89, and an all world all-time best defenseman who could score 30 plus on his own too.   Vegas can cheat all they want.   Hope they do, hope it's a hard won series for us ... Have a lot of respect for Stone.    Love to see him and JT Miller going at it hammer and tong with Eichel.    

And of course slaying the dragon in 2011...Personally think why not us?   And again the same thing next season ... why not? 

Exactly... don't want any of this, they won, but.....

Bring em all on and lets see, what this team is really made off. It will also tell management a lot about, where we really are... Can't wait...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Exactly... don't want any of this, they won, but.....

Bring em all on and lets see, what this team is really made off. It will also tell management a lot about, where we really are... Can't wait...

Me too.   Know it can be difficult to acknowledge this team, given how long it took from the dissolution of the great Luongo/Sedin/Kesler/Burr/Bieksa/Hamhuis/Eagle etc team...

Know the odds are stacked against us.   They are also stacked against every other contender or great team in the league right now as well.    Don't see why they can't have a nice run (or the best one we've ever had either).  Coaching staff is superb.   Think the balance and make up of this team is too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Me too.   Know it can be difficult to acknowledge this team, given how long it took from the dissolution of the great Luongo/Sedin/Kesler/Burr/Bieksa/Hamhuis/Eagle etc team...

Know the odds are stacked against us.   They are also stacked against every other contender or great team in the league right now as well.    Don't see why they can't have a nice run (or the best one we've ever had either).  Coaching staff is superb.   Think the balance and make up of this team is too. 

Exactly... 

Lets just take it one game at the time...

This team has surprised positively throughout the year, and there are no other team, that has improved as much as Canucks...

This down to management and Coaching staff together with an inspired Miller.

All the other teams have had problems too... Although Nashville coming in red hot is going to be impressive... They will be feeling invincible just now...

But lets see, what we are made of... 

Will be interesting to see how Petey, Hughes and Garland will fare, when the whistles gets put away and they are skating around with huge targets on their backs (Demko too)... If they can survive this, I feel the team is heavy enough to hammer any opposition into the next century in any 7 game series... As long as they don't get done in 4 or 5 they'll be fine (and Hughes, Petey, Gar and Demko can stay healthy...).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HKSR said:

This is probably the most important thing of all.  This core is YOUNG.  The other times we've hit this level of play, the core was much older... pretty much pushing 30 years old.  The other differentiation is none other than our Captain.  Quinn Hughes separates this core from every other core in franchise history.  A true #1, Norris level defenceman.  You pretty much absolutely need one to win a Cup.  We've got him. 

Deep down, under all the bandages of heartache and pain these past several decades, I feel like we are gonna see a Cup here in the near future.  I feel more confident about it than I've ever felt before. 

Well said, HK.  The core is young and this playoff season is about growing and developing.  I have no idea

what the results for the team will be this year.  They have so much potential, but will be up against a very

good western conference group of teams.  As you have stated, this is a much younger core group, that still

have a few years to reach their peak

The most significant thing about this team is the younger players that are coming up behind them.  As

Nuck fans, we have never seen a team make it to the top, while having a new group of players coming

along in the background.  Lekker, Willy, D-Petey, Ratu and a few others will be joining the team in the next

couple of years; some of which will become core-like players.

This is a team that is being built for the future; not just for one great playoff run. This is a team that

has a management that knows how to build a playoff team that will contend for many years to come.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1