OMG Gender Diversity! Thread

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think it is pretty cool that, for the most part, the discussion is around any potential advantage in womens sport.

To me it says that a high percentage of posters are cool with inclusion and have very little concerns other than the sports question. 

Well done CFF. 

The first couple of pages were rough prior to the edit, but overall it's been mostly civil.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The first couple of pages were rough prior to the edit, but overall it's been mostly civil.

Ya, I saw some triggered fella but compared to the noise you see in other areas of the internet I feel many have been civil.

i actually hate that I question the sports thing, I know its a small issue but i also feel I have to be honest and I want to learn. 

50 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think it is pretty cool that, for the most part, the discussion is around any potential advantage in womens sport.

To me it says that a high percentage of posters are cool with inclusion and have very little concerns other than the sports question. 

Well done CFF. 

It’s 2024 homie. 
Let folks do their thing.  If you don’t believe in that, you’re a cunt.  
I think most people feel that way nowadays (maybe not with the same words). 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Pianoman said:

In this one paper we were referencing it is talking about push-ups and sit-ups as well, primarily in regard to endurance rather than explosive power (not that there isn’t a different in explosive power, they just didn’t aim to look at that)

Regardless, it just makes sense to not allow biological males to compete with females. At the very least until there is absolute proof they don’t have an advantage in a certain activity. Sports isn’t divided by ‘gender’, it’s divided by ‘sex’. Changing genders to try to resemble the opposite sex still doesn’t change your biology completely no matter how hard one tries. It might change it enough to live a normal content life as woman after, but when it comes to being an elite athlete even a small advantage is a big advantage (if that makes sense).

It just seems naive to dismiss all research as vague or inconclusive and just decide based on feelings, especially when it’s apparent that it is an issue.

If someone argues, well it hardly ever happens that a trans-woman wins an event (even though I would disagree with that), does that mean that it is RIGHT? There are rules in place that prevent low occurrence things from happening everywhere, should we get rid of those rules just because those scenarios don’t happen too frequently? It’s a terrible argument. (This isn’t aimed at you Bob, I don’t remember you saying that. Just aimed at whoever thinks that).

As a final note, I was also not a fan of Oscar Pistorius competing with his fancy prosthetic leg. Since there was the potential for him to have an unfair advantage over the others, but there wasn’t any research or proof either way. I was pretty alone in that opinion haha, so maybe I am just a bit more strict on fairness and an even playing field than other people. 

I hear you, I just don't quite know what "absolute proof" means when it comes to people. I'd be OK with "within normal variations" because there's a huge range of physical traits within traditional sex concepts when it comes to measures. Check out a text called "the measure of man" and you'll see just how wide it is, and how much overlap there is as well. 

I'm not attempting to dismiss any research, just try to emphasize that every study has a context and limits, and needs to be reproducible, and then we can compare multiple studies and see where things are at. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I hear you, I just don't quite know what "absolute proof" means when it comes to people. I'd be OK with "within normal variations" because there's a huge range of physical traits within traditional sex concepts when it comes to measures. Check out a text called "the measure of man" and you'll see just how wide it is, and how much overlap there is as well. 

I'm not attempting to dismiss any research, just try to emphasize that every study has a context and limits, and needs to be reproducible, and then we can compare multiple studies and see where things are at. 

Fair enough. ‘Absolute proof’ would definitely have some subjectivity so I agree it wouldn’t be black or white. 

15 hours ago, Gurn said:

I know this is a sports site, however why does such an important topic degenerate into a 'unfair competitive  sports advantage' argument.?

This is such a small piece of the overall issues regarding trans- it feels like a deliberate diversion; to try and control the discussion.

People end up focusing on such a small, small part of an issue.

Maybe it is because there are still some small, small, people out there?

I have always felt the people to decide about a given sports way of integrating gender diversity would best b left to the various sports federations. 

As per the discussion, a Trans Woman may have certain natural advantages vs a born woman in say swimming. The swimming governing bodies may choose to have Trans women compete in a men's division. A chess federation may choose to have a Trans woman compete in the women's division. I don't know enough to presuppose a one size fits all answer. It is, to borrow a phrase, fluid. And that is okay.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

They need those private stalls put in the older community centres asap.  Trans are using women’s swimming change areas (Bonsor).  As of now, there are no safe spaces for women to get changed.

And yes I did witness this.  Although it was only 1 time.  I hadn’t heard or seen anything since then.

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

They need those private stalls put in the older community centres asap.  Trans are using women’s swimming change areas (Bonsor).  As of now, there are no safe spaces for women to get changed.

And yes I did witness this.  Although it was only 1 time.  I hadn’t heard or seen anything since then.

This is a non-issue.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, BPA said:

And everyone managed to get changed successfully?  Sounds pretty safe.

11 minutes ago, 112 said:

This is a non-issue.

Seemed like an issue for the parents with the young girls changing there.  If you don’t know, Bonser swimming changing area is open (no stalls).

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And everyone managed to get changed successfully?  Sounds pretty safe.

No.

The young girls exited the community centre in their wet swimming clothes.

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Seemed like an issue for the parents with the young girls changing there.  If you don’t know, Bonser swimming changing area is open (no stalls).

Some parents freaking out for no real reason isn't something to base policy on.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Seems like a pretty poor job by the bigots they have for parents then.

Dunno.

Maybe they didn’t want their kids to be naked in front of a naked Trans with man parts??

75-90% of sexual predators/ sexual abuse  of children are men.

1 in 6 boys report being sexually abused.

Who has been looking out for all the boys exposed in male change rooms/ bathrooms all these years?  

Where is the outcry?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Who has been looking out for all the boys exposed in male change rooms/ bathrooms all these years?  

Where is the outcry?

Meanwhile, we're talking about a case where nothing happened to the children other than them learning that their parents are unfit to raise anything more complicated than a cactus.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, BPA said:

Dunno.

Maybe they didn’t want their kids to be naked in front of a naked Trans with man parts??

what's a trans?

maybe don't use such dehumanizing language if you want people to take your concerns seriously.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 112 said:

what's a trans?

maybe don't use such dehumanizing language if you want people to take your concerns seriously.

So what is the proper terminology?

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Where is the outcry?

I would assume the installation of private stalls have lessened the parental concerns.  I’ve used them for my kids.  Never liked the open area concept.