OMG Gender Diversity! Thread

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

You missed the one transphobic snowflake at the start-up, but overall not bad.

Apparently I missed most of that temper tantrum as well, as I saw the "quoted" posts but not most of the original posts (only the last 3 or 4 before they stopped posting).

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Apparently I missed most of that temper tantrum as well, as I saw the "quoted" posts but not most of the original posts (only the last 3 or 4 before they stopped posting).

you didn't miss much, was pretty pathetic. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, 112 said:

It always evolves into a discussion on trans women in female competitive sports. I'd wager this is because it's the only area where the anti-trans crowd sort of has a point. 

I feel like this is almost 100% the truth. The only justifications for transphobia are religious (which of course no one agrees on anyway) or sports. It's a worthwhile thing to discuss, but it reality, it's an extraordinarily small part of the transgender world. An astronomically small number of trans women compete in sports competitively, especially at a high level. Most just want to live their lives like anybody else.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Well, what other issues would some of you prefer to discuss?

How about how nature doesn't strictly define things in binary ways, as indicated in the original article in the first post of this thread?  :hurhur:

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

How about how nature doesn't strictly define things in binary ways

whats interesting to me is, the folks really upset by your OP, is that they could choose to view this as an issue where we actually help find a solution. Instead they trot out the "my science" etc. and just refuse to acknowledge this basic fact about life. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

whats interesting to me is, the folks really upset by your OP, is that they could choose to view this as an issue where we actually help find a solution. Instead they trot out the "my science" etc. and just refuse to acknowledge this basic fact about life. 

image.jpeg.448ae76087282e38959029a048629f5b.jpeg

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

How about how nature doesn't strictly define things in binary ways, as indicated in the original article in the first post of this thread?  :hurhur:

That's above my paygrade, but I'll bite. Do animals have gender..?

Nature doesn't define anything, that's a human habit. That article (haven't watched the documentary) has a lot of interesting things to say. Certain frogs and fish can change their sex at need to ensure propagation. Humans can't do that. Other species can express opposite sex traits. Humans can definitely do that.

We all begin as female until the Y is added to the mix, right? That has always been enough 'science' for me to understand that some humans have the potential to be trans.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

That's above my paygrade, but I'll bite. Do animals have gender..?

Nature doesn't define anything, that's a human habit. That article (haven't watched the documentary) has a lot of interesting things to say. Certain frogs and fish can change their sex at need to ensure propagation. Humans can't do that. Other species can express opposite sex traits. Humans can definitely do that.

We all begin as female until the Y is added to the mix, right? That has always been enough 'science' for me to understand that some humans have the potential to be trans.

It's a start.  🍻

As I mentioned in the original post of this thread, I knew that people would be more passionate about discussing the human version of this issue, but really I was more fascinated by the content of the article and how things aren't "black/white" in nature.  You're right, nature doesn't define anything and that we're the ones that do - you got me there.  Even I slip into a Homo sapiens-centric view sometimes.

To move on from the human side of things, this will be my last comment on humans and gender in this post (but not this thread), and that is that the likelihood of a hermaphrodite human (meaning, a human possessing reproductive organs that are normally identified to be female as well as those normally identified as male) existing is not zero, but the real question is - would they be identifiable by a medical professional at birth, and if so, would all the people in that newborn's life (including the medical professional and the kid's parents) be of good conscience not to turn it into some sort of three ring shitshow circus act, and then would the kid themself be able to understand that this is normal and yet somehow different than what the majority of people out there identify as "normal" (with "normal" being a relative term, hence the quotation marks)?

I knew that flowers had male/female traits, but didn't know that they could change mid-stream.  Likewise with animals, and as you suggested, it's primarily due to the need to propagate.  However, even sexual activity that would be seen by some humans as "deviant" behaviour (such as bisexual mammals or even strictly homosexual animals) appears to be more normalized than those humans would care to accept.  And yet, it's in full display in nature.  And other members of their species don't really give a fuck about how "deviant" this behaviour would appear to other species.  People could brush that off as "animalistic behaviour", but I think in reality, it's not really that big a deal - certainly not to other members of their own species.  It's not like a gay dog is trying to procreate with someone's leg... :classic_laugh:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Strawbone said:

This discussion has actually remained surprisingly civil and levelheaded. Good job, everyone!

I wasn't here to see it but since the banning of one certain individual the discourse has cleaned up a lot.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I wasn't here to see it but since the banning of one certain individual the discourse has cleaned up a lot.

I expect the discourse to stay that way. 

Opinions either way are ok, somewhat. 

However, the Moderating Team will give zero fucks banning Members if I, meaning We, see posts that are  disparaging or insulting/offensive against people that are ‘diverse’, with regards to this topic. 

Just using your post as a means to send a broader message/reminder. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

To move on from the human side of things, this will be my last comment on humans and gender in this post (but not this thread), and that is that the likelihood of a hermaphrodite human (meaning, a human possessing reproductive organs that are normally identified to be female as well as those normally identified as male) existing is not zero, but the real question is - would they be identifiable by a medical professional at birth, and if so, would all the people in that newborn's life (including the medical professional and the kid's parents) be of good conscience not to turn it into some sort of three ring shitshow circus act, and then would the kid themself be able to understand that this is normal and yet somehow different than what the majority of people out there identify as "normal" (with "normal" being a relative term, hence the quotation marks)?

Most definitely not “not zero” and probably more common than you think, or at least more common than I thought. In the past the standard practice has been to look at the genitals and assign gender and surgery on the basis of “best guess.” This is changing now and surgeries are generally left until puberty barring parental interference. 

An estimated 1 in 2,000 children born each year are neither boy nor girl -- they are intersex, part of a group of about 60 conditions that fall under the diagnosis of disorders of sexual development (DSD).

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/intersex-children-pose-ethical-dilemma-doctors-parents-genital/story?id=13153068

• Thanks 1