Fans, step up!

I rarely get to go to Rogers Arena for a game as we live out of Vancouver. I was fortunate to see the Flames game on March 23. I was extremely disappointed in the Canuck fans who vacated the building before the team was barely off the ice. When the three stars were announced the building was half empty. When Hoagie was interviewed about the game (he did score twice) there was hardly a soul around. Shame on you Canuck fans! Support your team! They had just won 4 - 2 and you couldn't hang around another 10-15 minutes to show your appreciation. I know it's a crappy drive home but when you all leave at once that doesn't change it. But it does show your team that you care and appreciate them. No wonder Petey looked so dejected when he came on the ice when his name was called as a star of the game.

Canuck fans can and need to do better!

The reality is that some fans have been to hundreds of games and beating the traffic becomes more important than staying for post-game for fans who've already seen 100 post-games. Not my own experience in Vancouver, but I've been to quite a few Abbotsford games and have felt this way.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The reality is that some fans have been to hundreds of games and beating the traffic becomes more important than staying for post-game for fans who've already seen 100 post-games. Not my own experience in Vancouver, but I've been to quite a few Abbotsford games and have felt this way.

That is exactly my experience in Van. I was fortunate enought to be able to go to the games for free for years.  I would walk home as I lived DT but the poor folks that had to commute would be in for a long night many times trying to get out of the core. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't had the good fortune to visit the Suzuka race track in Japan (where they host the Japanese F1 race), but my buddy who treated me to the flamers game this past weekend told me that there are limited options to leave the race track - which is apparently in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere - and the train times for the area are set, so you need to be very disciplined to gtfo when you plan to, otherwise, you could be stuck there overnight.

Now, I know Vancouver's transit system servicing the rink area isn't quite that stark in comparison, but until Translink pulls their head out of their collective ass and offers more frequent skytrain and bus service to the area and in the suburbs after games (maybe even creating event shuttle bus service from the rink to other skytrain stations to help the crowd get to where they need to go), there'll always be that mass exodus before the stars are announced and sometimes even as the time is ticking down before the green light turns on.  It's a matter of practicality - nobody likes to be stuck in the entertainment district when their goal is to make it home at a decent hour (I mean, just getting from the rink to Richmond that night - and I did stay for the three stars - ended up taking me until almost 11).  

Plus I agree with @PhillipBlunt - don't tell people how to fan, because there's no singular way to express fandom.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, CanucksFan said:

I rarely get to go to Rogers Arena for a game as we live out of Vancouver. I was fortunate to see the Flames game on March 23. I was extremely disappointed in the Canuck fans who vacated the building before the team was barely off the ice. When the three stars were announced the building was half empty. When Hoagie was interviewed about the game (he did score twice) there was hardly a soul around. Shame on you Canuck fans! Support your team! They had just won 4 - 2 and you couldn't hang around another 10-15 minutes to show your appreciation. I know it's a crappy drive home but when you all leave at once that doesn't change it. But it does show your team that you care and appreciate them. No wonder Petey looked so dejected when he came on the ice when his name was called as a star of the game.

Canuck fans can and need to do better!

When I go, I never leave before the 3 stars have been acknowledged. 

With that being said, it's a real bottleneck at the exits and I'm almost glad people file out before we do. Gives a bit of space. But I also often walk over the bridge by myself and so it's a matter of trying to get out with a crowd...as soon as they're announcing the 3 stars I start heading for the stairs and am out of there quickly/before interviews. It's a matter of safety for me.

Also....they have free giveaways at the door a lot. People want to get their coupons, samples, etc. So you can't totally blame them because there are incentives put out to get people out quickly. As well, those taking transit often have to work the next day and, in my case, I don't get home much before midnight if I don't drive. Then I'm usually wound up and it takes a bit before I can sleep. So reality of life factors in.

I don't know that Petey was dejected as much as he likely was just...exhausted. After a full game the guys often do look that way.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Funnily enough, I click on your, Fans, step up! thread lo and behold, there's a shoe ad right above it! 

I get that fans wanna get out early to miss traffic/catch public transit and such. If I've time after attending an event, I, and the peeps I'm with hang out till the crowd dies down some. If the home team will win conclusively, I may leave earlier depending on whether I have to get to work early next morning. If the home team in any way gives me the feeling they can launch a comeback when the game is close, then I'm there till the end. And, I'm usually there till the end even if it seems they won't be able to pull one out. I'm one of those glass half full dudes. "You know. Maybe. Just maybe. It could happen. Ya' never know................"

Living on Vancouver Island and not seeing a lot of Canuck games live and in person,  (Four to be exact!) I don't have to worry about that stuff. 

Cheers.

I see why they do it. Getting out of that area be it walking, Sky Train or vehicle can really suck post game. 

That is not my issue with the Vancouver fans in attendance. It was the years of stupid goalie name chants when he made a save and not after a bad goal...my god that was just asinine for what should be a well informed market. That shit went on for over a decade but seems to have died out. 

44 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I haven't had the good fortune to visit the Suzuka race track in Japan (where they host the Japanese F1 race), but my buddy who treated me to the flamers game this past weekend told me that there are limited options to leave the race track - which is apparently in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere - and the train times for the area are set, so you need to be very disciplined to gtfo when you plan to, otherwise, you could be stuck there overnight.

Now, I know Vancouver's transit system servicing the rink area isn't quite that stark in comparison, but until Translink pulls their head out of their collective ass and offers more frequent skytrain and bus service to the area and in the suburbs after games (maybe even creating event shuttle bus service from the rink to other skytrain stations to help the crowd get to where they need to go), there'll always be that mass exodus before the stars are announced and sometimes even as the time is ticking down before the green light turns on.  It's a matter of practicality - nobody likes to be stuck in the entertainment district when their goal is to make it home at a decent hour (I mean, just getting from the rink to Richmond that night - and I did stay for the three stars - ended up taking me until almost 11).  

Plus I agree with @PhillipBlunt - don't tell people how to fan, because there's no singular way to express fandom.

Any event that size is going to cause a bottleneck, and it's worse in the vast majority of cities.  At least there's a station right next to the area.  The only city in North America I can think of that's better for public transit getting out is NYC.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The shelling out of hundreds of dollars to attend a game also "shows" the team that the fans care. Maybe stop telling other fans how to be fans. 

The Canucks (among other teams) have a reputation for having disinterested spectators who have season tickets because it's good for personal business.  Weeknight games can be pretty rough.

13 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The Canucks (among other teams) have a reputation for having disinterested spectators who have season tickets because it's good for personal business.  Weeknight games can be pretty rough.

Yeah, the more corporate ticketholders who probably could care less about the game, and merely use it as a meeting place to discuss deals and whatnot. They tend to suck the life out of the situation. From what I've heard, the crowds this season have been raucous, which is great. 

• Like 1

I stay till the final horn win or lose and gtfo as soon as horn sound.. I don’t care about the 3 star or the post game interview I can listen to that on the radio. It’s a 30-45 min drive to get home. Game ends around 9:30 I’d like to get home asap shower do whatever I need to finish and get to bed asap as I have to wake up at 5am for work next day. Not everyone lives next to the arena or close to it

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, -dlc- said:

When I go, I never leave before the 3 stars have been acknowledged. 

With that being said, it's a real bottleneck at the exits and I'm almost glad people file out before we do. Gives a bit of space. But I also often walk over the bridge by myself and so it's a matter of trying to get out with a crowd...as soon as they're announcing the 3 stars I start heading for the stairs and am out of there quickly/before interviews. It's a matter of safety for me.

Also....they have free giveaways at the door a lot. People want to get their coupons, samples, etc. So you can't totally blame them because there are incentives put out to get people out quickly. As well, those taking transit often have to work the next day and, in my case, I don't get home much before midnight if I don't drive. Then I'm usually wound up and it takes a bit before I can sleep. So reality of life factors in.

I don't know that Petey was dejected as much as he likely was just...exhausted. After a full game the guys often do look that way.

I usually stay for the 3 stars, when my ex and I went to the Canucks vs Avalanche though we left with around 30 seconds to go cause Vancouver Island life we needed to sky train back to my car to make the last ferry so beating the crowd was a necessity 

• Cheers 1

I have had season tickets or a share of them for probably 20 out of the last 30 years and have attended 100+ games live.

When you go a lot you learn that if you wanna get out quick you gotta leave fast.

For some games I have hung around and left late.  The Sedins final home game comes to mind. Certain playoff games. Etc.

But listen OP if you go once in a blue moon don't hack on the fans who have gone  many many times and had some ugly traffic experiences because of it.

I have paid a lot of dough to be a loyal fan in attendance. So have many others partner.

• Cheers 2