Ethan Bear to enter player assistance program

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

First Kuznetsov and now Bear this season.  Any other Caps that I missed?  Can't help but wonder what they're doing over there.

Perhaps the Capitals just do a good job of identifying problems and encouraging their players to seek assistance.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Could be related to his injury.  Kesler said he got addicted to his pain medication after he had hip surgery...

Also dealing with the aftermath of the Oilers fans driving him out of town with their racism can't be good for mental health.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

First Kuznetsov and now Bear this season.  Any other Caps that I missed?  Can't help but wonder what they're doing over there.

You would be absolutely shocked to find out how many NHL players are functioning drug addicts. The league needs to do a better job of randomly testing these guys. Trust me when I tell you that these MF’s party. 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, mozzeye said:

Perhaps the Capitals just do a good job of identifying problems and encouraging their players to seek assistance.

Yup...NHL teams are corporations much like the rest the world. Some companies say and do nothing (and typically have high turnover due to lack of support for employees), others "talk" a big game (promote that employees take care of themselves, seek counsel if needed etc, but then do little to actually support employees dealing with issues - more a "broad stroke" solution), and then there are those companies that truly recognize that their greatest asset is their own human resource, and treat and respect them as such and grant them the tools they need to succeed...sadly these companies are still few and far between. Kudos to Ethan for reaching out for assistance, and kudos to the CAPS for promoting and allowing that he and KUZ do so.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Wish him well.

But.. signs halfway into the season and then enters player assistance program shortly after is just really weird. 

I hate to say it but he got his 2 year contract signed for $2 million per year and then 3 months later he enters the players assistance program.  Pretty sure he knew he needed help before he signed that contract.  So he was definitely looking out for himself first.  There is no way his problem could have just started in January...

17 hours ago, Zombieksa said:

As someone who comes from a family history of severe addiction, I wish him the best... and any player who uses the program. 

Yep, me too.

As a matter of fact, I grew up in a town where addiction was the norm. We lost many to suicide, overdose, etc., etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Bear had surgery not that long ago. it's not uncommon for people to turn to drugs or alcohol for pain management. This increases if the patient is also experiencing stress around being injured. I can only imagine the stress a professional athletes feels having a major injury in a contract year. The idea of your life's passion and childhood dream being in the balance must be overwhelming. Mix that with a highly addictive drug prescribed when healing from surgery, it can be incredibly difficult.

As someone who works in physical rehabilitation, I see this far to often.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1