[PGT] Stars vs Nux

Jaimito

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No. I expect the contract is designed based on potential, he probably won't live up to the contract for a couple years when it will become good value. Of course it's a huge gamble, it's a 90 million dollar deal, lol, but these players don't grow on trees. Be disappointed all you want but it's unrealistic. I think it's awesome we're a top 5 team this year and I think that is pretty acceptable season for both the team and Petey. If we fizzle out in the playoffs due to his inconsistent play than let the bitching ensue, but not before like this petty BS. Just bitching to bitch.

Haha interesting - so for two out of the remaining three years in which Hughes is on his current deal (and for the remaining two years of Demko's current deal), you expect that Pettersson will not live up to his contract. That should worry you, in case you aren't worried.

Also interesting how the logic has shifted from "it's a great contract for a back-to-back 100-pt center" (I'm not even sure he gets to 100 pts this season at this point) to "stop b******* until we get to the playoffs". 

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No. I expect the contract is designed based on potential, he probably won't live up to the contract for a couple years when it will become good value. Of course it's a huge gamble, it's a 90 million dollar deal, lol, but these players don't grow on trees. Be disappointed all you want but it's unrealistic. I think it's awesome we're a top 5 team this year and I think that is pretty acceptable season for both the team and Petey. If we fizzle out in the playoffs due to his inconsistent play than let the bitching ensue, but not before like this petty BS. Just bitching to bitch.

Agreed.  I think it's way to early for fans to be dismissing Petey's importance and ultimate value to this team.

Still in his developmental years, he's always risen to the challenges presented.

The Canucks management and scouts have a combined knowledge of hockey talent at all levels, so it

is easy to have faith in what decisions they make.  I'm not prepared to give up on the notion that Petey's

future talents will never reach the elite level of his new contract.  Far too early to come to that conclusion.

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Me either but yeah he probably draws in over PDG. Good line-up though I agree.

Before his injury, Suter did as good a job as Blueger on the 3rd line.  He's a solid 3C, on a great

contract.  He just doesn't look so good playing in the top 6. 

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

I think Patrick Kane is a good comparison to EP. Both light, skilled players. Even their points totals to ages are similar. EP will adjust and get how to play through the added defense on him, I'm confident in that. I still think a lot of it depends on his linmates and chemistry. I like Hogs with EP, add a big physical winger who's smart and fast please. Not Boeser, BB and EP don't mix imho. 

Petey needs a big bopper winger with him that can't be ignored by teams and give Petey more space to work.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Plenty of teams flip switches and plenty of teams ride momentum! Depends on the team and their desire to win. Some guys play better with stakes on the line. I anticipate JT and Zadorov being huge in the first series. 

Funny cause our coach who has won multiple cups believes the opposite.

That’s why he’s pushing so hard now. He said teams that are good down the stretch tend to do good in the playoffs. I’ll take his word for it.

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Petey needs a big bopper winger with him that can't be ignored by teams and give Petey more space to work.

Curt Fraser or Sergio Memesso clone, please.

Would help Petey- and the rest of the team.

• MillerTime 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We never found one for the Sedins.

How many guys like that are there in the league who have the size the meanness and the offensive creativity who are also available. 

56 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I don't understand what's not to like about Suter. I would much rather Suter in the top 6 than Mikheyev. He works well with skill players or on a checking line. 

Suter Miller Brock have been great togheter. Suter Raymond Larkin and Suter Veleno Bergren were also some of the best lines Detroit was able to serve up last year. Suter's a beaut reminds me of Santorelli how he can be moved up and down the lineup and bring something to every line.  

I guess, for me, it's that he's gifted top 6 and pp mins over players who have earned it more.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Curt Fraser or Sergio Memesso clone, please.

Would help Petey- and the rest of the team.

I don't think petey plays well with players like that.  He plays better with speed and skill imo

57 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd expect a player 7 months away from making 11.6m to be able to create space for himself and for his linemates.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That angle is terrible to attempt to judge a high stick. 😆 You can't judge how high the puck is from an overhead angle at 135 deg. Come on now.

Here is how the call was made. Pretty simple really.

image.png.14311840272dda767c8a4b75e1896936.png

BS

The puck's on the other side of the stick and someone's edited that in.

I saw 4 angles, thanks. They got it wrong and most of the world supports that. LOL someone drawing a black dot for a puck to position things this way won't convince me.

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

I guess, for me, it's that he's gifted top 6 and pp mins over players who have earned it more.

Like who?

Didn't the lineup you just posted bump Suter for Mik. What has Mik shown that he deserves the opportunity over Suter?

I agree on the PP though. Would like to get Garland and Hoglander more ice time. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I think we had this discussion when the trade happened. We disagreed then, and I disagree now.

I think it was a lot to play for half a season of sub-par play from Lindholm. I also think the team in general has underperformed ever since that deal was made. I can't prove any correlation, but it is what it is....

Yup

our performance dropped since that trade

• Upvote 1

Ducks are going to play us at 12:30, on the second half of a back to back with travel after playing Edmonton tomorrow at 4pm. Really hope to see the Ducks stick it to the Soilers just for us to wallop them with a scheduled loss. 

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I believe there may be a little dissention going on with some of the players in regards to not staying with the same lines.  Rick is trying some new combos

and the players just are not responding. For most of the year, they've seen the team win with set lines and defensive combos.  Where as it may be true Lindholm

created some switching when he arrived, that's not what I really mean. Pettersson can play with anyone and so can Miller, but I'm sure they would both prefer

regular line mates. Score more goals that way. IMO

I love it, the line mashups.

We are playing all the good teams right now desperate to gain confidence playing us.

What better for our guys to have the thought "well if i was playing with my guys" and in the playoffs everyone is with the guy.

The other team shouldnt be able to remember how our lines played 2 months ago by now. This is a good thing.

Also, when someone figures out the "649" in the playoffs, we have other combinations.

And those combos will be like "glad to be back brother" lines and there is i dont even know how many permutations of lines they have played all year!

Math help someone? How many different Combos can we confuse our matchup with in a 7 game series?

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think petey plays well with players like that.  He plays better with speed and skill imo

Fraser is a guy who could do it all.

5 x 25 plus goal scorer, peaked with 2x 39 assists seasons.

Hit, checked, stood up for his team mates and I don't recall him losing a scrap.

Fraser also skated well enough to keep up with Thomas Gradin, and a young Stan Smyl. 

I'd give a guy  like that a chance.

Serge was not as skilled as Curt, with only 2 x 20 goal seasons and maxed with 32 assists;  but had a rep of being nobody to mess around with.

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Not a fan of Bains 

Juulsen has actually looked better than Myers... 

Looking forward to getting Lindholm back

Great to have Joshua back. 

Not worried about this team. 

I have faith they will figure out special teams. 

Maybe they already have figured it out but are waiting to unveil it during playoffs when they absolutely need to score a goal

Not a great fan of Bains at this point either. We have a lot of what he has to offer right now.  There will be room after contracts are moved next year. Wait till then.  Otherwise we need to try anyone who plays bigger, maybe Raty. 

Otherwise I'd try Juulsen on the 4th line to bash some Dallas hillbillies. 

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

At his current pace over the last 20 games he might not make it to 90 points. 

He might not. He'll probably have a couple good games and make it though. It doesn't drop us down the standings at all though. We're still winning games. Do you want him playing better and producing more? Sure, but the sky isn't falling either.

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I don't understand what's not to like about Suter. I would much rather Suter in the top 6 than Mikheyev. He works well with skill players or on a checking line. 

Suter Miller Brock have been great togheter. Suter Raymond Larkin and Suter Veleno Bergren were also some of the best lines Detroit was able to serve up last year. Suter's a beaut reminds me of Santorelli how he can be moved up and down the lineup and bring something to every line.  

I don't mind Suter but he hasn't really had a solid presence in the line-up all year, even though he's good value. He's a third liner imo who has been bumped all over the line-up but has been supplanted by Blueger on that line. He's just a little meh and doesn't make a physical impact.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Agreed.  I think it's way to early for fans to be dismissing Petey's importance and ultimate value to this team.

Still in his developmental years, he's always risen to the challenges presented.

The Canucks management and scouts have a combined knowledge of hockey talent at all levels, so it

is easy to have faith in what decisions they make.  I'm not prepared to give up on the notion that Petey's

future talents will never reach the elite level of his new contract.  Far too early to come to that conclusion.

Before his injury, Suter did as good a job as Blueger on the 3rd line.  He's a solid 3C, on a great

contract.  He just doesn't look so good playing in the top 6. 

By the time 4 years pass and the cap is up he'll be very good value if he's scoring 100+ points, and getting better. That's the price for star players unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Fraser is a guy who could do it all.

5 x 25 plus goal scorer, peaked with 2x 39 assists seasons.

Hit, checked, stood up for his team mates and I don't recall him losing a scrap.

Fraser also skated well enough to keep up with Thomas Gradin, and a young Stan Smyl. 

I'd give a guy  like that a chance.

Serge was not as skilled as Curt, with only 2 x 20 goal seasons and maxed with 32 assists;  but had a rep of being nobody to mess around with.

You don't have to sell me in curt Fraser.......him against Chicago in 82 was sublime.  That said, I don't think Petey plays well with that style of player

• Cheers 1

Tocchet has done an amazing job so far this year but his constant blending of the lines is troubling.  When the Canucks were dominant in the beginning of the year Rick would roll the same lines out shift after shift.  The last while he has been changing the lines constantly.  Why the F did he split Boeser and Miller last game.  He is trying things for no apparent reason.  Please Rick get back to consistent lines

Edited by Bell

43 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

I'd expect a player 7 months away from making 11.6m to be able to create space for himself and for his linemates.

Well in 4 to 8 years he will be cheap creating space and time and miracles. Then you can think back to this post.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think Petie's contract is sitting very well in the locker room. 

you might be right, but it sure didnt help giving JT no linemates, loading up Petterson, and JT getting the only goal.

Petey gotta learn from this and take ownership.

He will. 2 weeks? yeah he will lose the butterfly effect of the contract and just play.

Pettersson is a PPG+ in his playoff career both in the NHL & SweHL. Yes, it's a small sample size. However, he seems to up his game when it matters most. Will he this year? We'll find out soon. 

27 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Ducks are going to play us at 12:30, on the second half of a back to back with travel after playing Edmonton tomorrow at 4pm. Really hope to see the Ducks stick it to the Soilers just for us to wallop them with a scheduled loss. 

Ducks Oilers play at  1 pm pst.