[PGT] Stars vs Nux

Jaimito

12 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Playing LA in the 1st round would be the best case scenario for the Canucks.  The Kings are the best

chance for the Nucks to get into the 2nd round.

Can't agree with that. Canucks match up terribly with LA. Vegas then Preds for me.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Oh really?  I do agree that it's not WHY we lost but it doesn't mean it isn't noteworthy. The Joshua headplant into the boards too. Gotta have better officiating than that, it's dogshit right now.

434319265_10160835107990549_200874049065

Come on Deb. 

That angle favors your "argument".

At ice level it was pretty close. Way too close to call back.

It is what it is.

I agree that non call on Josh was bs but it is what it is. Botched calls go both ways in all games.

Canucks have to be better on special teams, plain and simple.

Luckily we are pretty lights out 5v5 and hopefully the whistles get put away in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I thought hits from behind into the boards were included in player safety? (Garland protected himself somewhat in case of a dirty hit, but that shouldn't get the player's hit from being called) It  is frustrating when a ref is right  there in clear view ignoring it, then call weak calls 

When you are at the game you see stuff that isn't called that the camera doesn't always see but this one, Goaltender call, Joshua call (as small examples) and then see what they get calls for is frustrating as a fan

The NHL has a seperate rulebook for Vancouver.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Can't agree with that. Canucks match up terribly with LA. Vegas then Preds for me.

I don't think the Canucks have held a lead against them this year

2 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Come on Deb. 

That angle favors your "argument".

At ice level it was pretty close. Way too close to call back.

It is what it is.

I agree that non call on Josh was bs but it is what it is. Botched calls go both ways in all games.

Canucks have to be better on special teams, plain and simple.

Luckily we are pretty lights out 5v5 and hopefully the whistles get put away in the playoffs.

Statistically there's more calls in the playoffs, not less

I hated this game. It just didn’t seem right. Only a few games this year where I was irritated with the loss this was one. I thought we played pretty good. The power play must get going 

55 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

And I have to also go back to my "whining/bitching" for a moment.

How does THIS dangerous play go unaddressed? I'm still pissed at the horrible officiating. No, not responsible for the loss but not really acceptable either. We just got Joshua back and he could've been injured here. 

434287586_10160835083965549_260785302104

434287969_10160835084005549_624809931398

The refs or linesman didn't have a clear view? 😞

Our guys don't stay down to get calls (I am sure, that time in OT when EP did, Tocchet said get back into play, if they don't call anything, embellishing won't help)

RT is old school tough and doesn't like those  (while at the same time you think the refs would appreciate it) and not call MacKinnon embellishment calls against us at key points in a game

Just now, Ballisticsports said:

The refs or linesman didn't have a clear view? 😞

Our guys don't stay down to get calls (I am sure, that time in OT when EP did, Tocchet said get back into play, if they don't call anything, embellishing won't help)

RT is old school tough and doesn't like those  (while at the same time you think the refs would appreciate it) and not call MacKinnon embellishment calls against us at key points in a game

They just don't have the experience, as a group, to fall back in these playoff type games.  To me, that's what this year is about, getting that first taste.  Hopefully they can get some success.

• ThereItIs 1

A lot of predictability in our plays, particularly on the PP. The 5 v 5 goal that broke through was a no look backhand pass. High skill with zero telegraphing. Going to need a lot more of that in the playoffs. The team will find the gear, somewhere between solid positional awareness and some spontaneous high skill creativity. We have the horses. GCG.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Robinfood said:

Like others have said wth was that lineup. What is RT thinking with those combinations?

Let’s just stop fucking around and have simple straight forward lines. 

DK - Blue - Gar

Boeser-Miller - Petey 

Hog- Suter- Mik

Laff- PDG-aman

Hug-Hro

Sou-Jul

Cole- Zad

pp1 

Miller-Gar- DK 

pp2

hog- Petey - Boes

PDG at center 😅 clearly you shouldn't be making line-ups 🤣 Myers isn't sitting for Juulsen or Zad either.

I get the sentiment though. It could work when Lindholm gets back. It'll be very interesting how he slots in when healthy.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He also gets checked closer than ever before and closer than anyone on the team.  The one timer on the pp is the number onr thing that teams focus on when they play van.  That's the Canucks failure on the pp, imo.........finding another outlet that produces so teams have to focus on that and take pressure off Petey 

Set Boeser up on the left side, like Petey is on the right and let him pound the one timer from there. 

Instead it's just Hughes, Miller and Petey 

Did like petey in the bumper.  Seems to panic on the half wall and has a lot of turnovers.

Edited by ronning4center

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Ya. It's not just the Canucks. Any puck possession team will struggle against LA. Canucks can play dump and chase, but you can tell it's not what they really want to do.

• Vintage 1

Pettersson can be a frustrating player to watch. Has he entered Diva territory?

Watching Miller, Hughes, Joshua, Hoglander, Garland, Podkolzin, etc. - all of them giving their all. Petey tries to do too much in tight spaces and he loses the puck or gets knocked down. I believe he also thinks the game too much instead of just reacting. Maybe lacking confidence, rarely see him drive the net. I'm concerned for how he'll perform in the playoffs and then that big money kicks in next year. 

Pettersson is lanky and awkward, unlike Garland who's a wizard when he's painted in a corner. He always finds a way out and ends up with the puck. Love that guy. Gritty mofo. 

Hoping they sit Cole next game and get Juulsen back in.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Nucker67 said:

Pettersson can be a frustrating player to watch. Has he entered Diva territory?

Watching Miller, Hughes, Joshua, Hoglander, Garland, Podkolzin, etc. - all of them giving their all. Petey tries to do too much in tight spaces and he loses the puck or gets knocked down. I believe he also thinks the game too much instead of just reacting. Maybe lacking confidence, rarely see him drive the net. I'm concerned for how he'll perform in the playoffs and then that big money kicks in next year. 

Pettersson is lanky and awkward, unlike Garland who's a wizard when he's painted in a corner. He always finds a way out and ends up with the puck. Love that guy. Gritty mofo. 

Hoping they sit Cole next game and get Juulsen back in.

Again, he is the focus for every teams best defensive players.  That's going to have sn effect

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Except the Hi Sticking on Hronek didn't...

Not looking for an argument, and do agree... it was a stupid penalty, and we have had a lot of those type of penalties this season... daft penalties....

I didn't see it (clip?) but you must be talking about a missed call. What I mean (obviously) is if they see someone get sticked in the face it's not something they can decide to let go as allowable, like they say would with slight neutral zone holds, some borderline interference, an unintentional trip, or the pushing, shoving, and roughing that we saw just moments earlier. It's written right into the rulebook that you have to be in control of your stick (weapon) and even a complete fluke or unintentional infraction is a penalty regardless of intent.

The penalties were 4-3 at that point. Not going to argue that there weren't a couple iffy and arbitrary calls, there were but there was a soft one on either side. They were attempting to let them play the game out and I don't believe had any intention of handing out a penalty until the obvious high stick to the face. 

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I wouldn't want to play Vegas. They are starting to heat up & still have players returning.

Would rather roll the dice again LA tbh, we've beat them once & last game was a coin flip.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I wouldn't want to play Vegas. They are starting to heat up & still have players returning.

Would rather roll the dice again LA tbh, we've beat them once & last game was a coin flip.

The Canucks can out skate and out hit vegas....... they can play and beat Vegas at their own game, imo.  They can't with LA

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

We’ll see what happens in their last matchup but yea I don’t think they’re a good matchup. Gotta think the Kings have the psychological edge based on previous games.

Preds have been on fire lately but the Canucks beat them three times with two convincing ones. Obviously they’re a better team than they were but that psychological edge does make a difference.

The Knights are a team that’s been kinda cold lately but they’re still the champs for a reason. If they magically get healthy for game 1 with Hertl being an X factor they will be tough. And I gotta think they get a lot of help at home from the stripes. That being said at least we know we can beat them.

Just now, DeNiro said:

We’ll see what happens in their last matchup but yea I don’t think they’re a good matchup. Gotta think the Kings have the psychological edge based on previous games.

Preds have been on fire lately but the Canucks beat them three times with two convincing ones. Obviously they’re a better team than they were but that psychological edge does make a difference.

The Knights are a team that’s been kinda cold lately but they’re still the champs for a reason. If they magically get healthy for game 1 with Hertl being an X factor they will be tough. And I gotta think they get a lot of help at home from the stripes. That being said at least we know we can beat them.

The Preds are scary right now, but they play a style more complimentary to Vancouver's.  They're good defensively, but not elite, imo.

The knights are a bit of an unknown, but I don't think they're the team they used to be, imo.  They're ripe for a first round fall 

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree with Stawns on this one. At least the Canucks will win or lose against Vegas while playing Canucks hockey. Watching the Canucks change their style to play LA is like broken drywall time for me. Tough to watch, especially when the Canucks PP isn't doing anything. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I'd like to hear that and will look for it.

I'm wondering if ego's seeping in and maybe they're being over coached a little? I mean, that last practice Rick reportedly was a little harsh/frustrated but maybe he's sending too many messages and adjusting too much/on the fly?

When he came in he had success but, there are guys (like Petey) who have natural talent and instinct that you have to just unleash at some point. I noticed Petey had 4 hits last night....more than ANY of our d men. Not sure that should be the case.

I'm not too worried but obviously they have to get a hold of this and the pp in particular has to find its groove. Special teams are huge in the playoffs so it's time to work out the kinks. I'm confident they will and I'm satisfied with this team's progress....but it would be a shame to let it all just slip away. 

I really question what they're doing with Petey though. When he has 4 hits in a game and guys like Myers and Cole have none, I think maybe that needs some adjusting. The focus has been on playing strong defensively but that's also been sacrificing some of our offence and fire power. 

I'm tired of Myers looking like a deer in headlights in front of our net too....clear some guys the f out of there.

JT is on page 8 and I get the impression he's very angry with the way the team played, including himself, but didn't like the way there were so many changes

made. He knows this team better then anyone (in my opinion), and wasn't happy with what transpired. Was JT at his best and most honest. I admire that.

4 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Why is it that the challenge calls seem to almost always go against us.  Are we really so biased as canuck fans or is the NHL really so biased against the team?  I would really like to know if I am part of some unfounded group conspiracy theory or part of a unfairly treated group.  I just keep seeing that puck as hit with a high stick and wonder..........

I would say if you step back and look quite it's obvious you are a super biased Canuck fan. The league has no reason to operate solely to cheat against the Canucks. It's an absolutely devoid of reason and ludicrous take. We are not the center of the universe.

This is your problem. Try looking at it unbiasedly instead of from the viewpoint they are wrong, which is what it looks like from your comment. If you look at the video's posted you can see the puck is hit in the middle of the blade, you can also see in the accompanying picture that the middle of the blade is lined up exactly with his right shoulder ... so obviously that was the determination and they didn't have enough evidence to overturn the call on the ice. No wonder people feel hard done by all the time when they can't even be honest about what they're seeing.

• Cheers 2

I'll start by saying that I thought it was a high stick and was surprised when the goal wasn't overturned....but....

I've said it before: This just doesn't look like the same team as before the all-star break. When they took that late penalty, I was sure the Stars were going to score.

The early season Canucks were a team that always seemed to find a way to win. Now, it seems like the exact opposite.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is 12th overall in league scoring. There are 12 players next year who will be paid at least $11 million. So he’s right where he should be. And he’s the second youngest of that group. Facts matter. 

I agree, EP will improve each year. As for this year, Tocc needs to find a way to get him going and get his mind right. Recent issue is likely more between his ears than what he is capable of physically.

• Cheers 2