[PGT] Stars vs Nux

Jaimito

Just to rub a bit of salt into the wound, the Canucks also missed an opportunity to back into the playoffs, after the Blues beat the Flames....

The irony is, the Flames got hosed by the refs by of all things, a high stick call. A shot from the point was batted down with what appeared after replay to be below the shoulder. (and it wasn't even clear that it had been a Flames player that made the contact) The puck was immediately corralled by Andrei Kuzmenko who deposited into a wide open net, but the referee called it off immediately.

The Flames couldn't even challenge, because the play had been blown dead before Kuz scored.

BTW: It's worth noting that if it had counted, it would have been Kuzmenko's third goal of the game....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just to rub a bit of salt into the wound, the Canucks also missed an opportunity to back into the playoffs, after the Blues beat the Flames....

The irony is, the Flames got hosed by the refs by of all things, a high stick call. A shot from the point was batted down with what appeared after replay to be below the shoulder. (and it wasn't even clear that it had been a Flames player that made the contact) The puck was immediately corralled by Andrei Kuzmenko who deposited into a wide open net, but the referee called it off immediately.

The Flames couldn't even challenge, because the play had been blown dead before Kuz scored.

BTW: It's worth noting that if it had counted, it would have been Kuzmenko's third goal of the game....

But but but there isn't a different set of rules for the Canucks and the officials do a fantastic job night in and night out...

• Huggy Bear 1

25 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I don't understand the dismal attitude after this game. The team played better than Dallas did tonight. Most games we win those. 

The issue is that it’s two games in a row against playoff teams that we’ve ended up on the wrong side. And it’s mostly due to discipline and special teams which has been an issue for months.

This is the time of year you wanna see guys step up and dial in their games and we’re just not seeing it lately.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

But but but there isn't a different set of rules for the Canucks and the officials do a fantastic job night in and night out...

I think the replay officials got it wrong in the Canucks game, but I've always been on record that there is no league bias against the Canucks. We have bad calls go against us sometimes, but so does everyone else.

In the case of the Flames, I think the ref erred in making the call immediately. There was enough traffic in front of the net that the play had to be in doubt, but he called it anyway. The correct play, IMO would have been to let it play out and then the Blues could have challenged if they believed there was an infraction. Exactly as what happened with the Canucks and Stars.

Who knows if the replay would have gotten it right, but we'll never know....

26 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

One other point:

I see some folks are lowering expectations and are saying that the Canucks don't need to go deep in the playoffs.....they just need to "get the experience", or whatever.

The problem with this line of thinking is, the team pretty much went all-in at the TDL. With so many players due raises in the offseason, I don't see any way the Canucks can bring back this same team.

Lindy is almost certainly gone...Hronek, Zadorov, Myers, DJ, Blueger....all need new deals and the only one I can see possible taking less than he's currently making is the Giraffe.

They need to get this figured out. Soon.

I don't think went all in at all.  What they trade for EL was nothing, imo. The first stings a bit, but that's a reasonable price to pay for Lindholm.  

They bolstered their lineup, but at a low cost.......not judged a success or failure by how far they go I don't think.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think went all in at all.  What they trade for EL was nothing, imo. The first stings a bit, but that's a reasonable price to pay for Lindholm.  

They bolstered their lineup, but at a low cost.......not judged a success or failure by how far they go I don't think.

I think we had this discussion when the trade happened. We disagreed then, and I disagree now.

I think it was a lot to play for half a season of sub-par play from Lindholm. I also think the team in general has underperformed ever since that deal was made. I can't prove any correlation, but it is what it is....

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think we had this discussion when the trade happened. We disagreed then, and I disagree now.

I think it was a lot to play for half a season of sub-par play from Lindholm. I also think the team in general has underperformed ever since that deal was made. I can't prove any correlation, but it is what it is....

We dumped the wrong contract on that one. We should have dumped Mik 5M

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

19 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

we just handed EP40 and the soon to hit OEL Buy-out cost, the team is boxed in and will unfortunately be unable to have many of our current players return back next year.  So enjoy this years roster!

Yes and no.  

Absolutely some hard choices will need to be made. 

We have guys like Bains (From Surrey), Lekkerimaki, Podkolzin, Willander pushing upward. It's not all doom and gloom. I think we likely deal a player at the draft to gain a high pick and Cap space. MGMT has done a good job at moneyballing around the edges.   

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We dumped the wrong contract on that one. We should have dumped Mik 5M

Welp, The minority that wanted to trade for Monahan got laughed at. Could have used him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Agree on all points amigo. You are absolutely right, that a high sick is a penalty (except for the occasional follow through), but if they see a high stick, they call it instantly... our team has been guilty of a fair few poor high sticking penalties throughout the season...

Asking me for a clip, is like asking a broke man for a loan... Have no idea how to make clips of that... its was also shown on replays.

It was missed call... it happens... I think you're spot on, that there were some soft calls being called at times on both sides... Which actually surprised me... I like that they let most things go against Flames, so to suddenly get called for border line infractions were disappointing...

I have no issues regarding the result... Its was a poor PP that caused the result (or poor PK)... we lost the special teams match up...

Haha, I only asked because I never saw the play you're talking about at all. Usually I'm pretty attentive. Tocchet has commented several times on it but our lack of control with regards to high-sticking could easily lose us a series. Blueger (awful) has taken several very poor high sticking calls that has lost us games. Zadorov, and Myers, and others are also very poor in this regard. Gotta clean it up.

See this is a game where normally I would agree the refs weren't great (random penalties) but it was still reffed pretty even. However a person doesn't even want to admit that amongst the constant complaint factory here.

Also, could you spot me 100 quid? 😉

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

7-8 players will not return next year - that is a given -because as you said, with 11 UFA/RFA's needing new contacts and most expecting a raise and the money we just handed EP40 and the soon to hit OEL Buy-out cost, the team is boxed in and will unfortunately be unable to have many of our current players return back next year.  So enjoy this years roster!

Conveniently leaving out the part where we'll have at least $28 million in cap space but why include things that go against your narrative right?

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The first stings, I agree, but I think they sold high on HB.........I don't see his play translating to much, but I could be wrong.  Kuz is a bit of a wash as they get rid of his salary for next year.  Jurmo is nothing

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

High stick was too close to call. 

If that was the Canucks people here would be losing their shit if we got a goal called back.

That's not why we lost, special teams is the reason 1000%

Completely agree on your second point.

Lots of goals have been called back this year and most posters on here might grumble about it. Losing their shit is a bit extreme imho.

3 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

The place where I have the issue is:

1.  Even if it is even with the right shoulder ii is well over the left shoulder so maybe even with one and over the other is over by logic.  In review every pundit said the Canucks were right until after the review.  Then it's recanted and pundits side with the league take.  And it seems to almost always be like that.  

2.  If that happened in reverse and it was a canuck playing the puck I argue that the call goes the other way.  

This is watching games for 5 years and watching call after call close to the line be not called the same way and see a biased eye making the final decision.  And the issue is, there seems to be thousands of us that have seem this over the years.  

Of course, much of this is also in jest as while we all take it seriously it is just a game and not life and death. 

1. Well, the issue is abundantly clear right here. This is a straight up logic fail. If one shoulder is dipped but the puck is still under the other shoulder ... it's not a high stick. You just agreed with that. This is a crystal clear example of just immediately assuming they're wrong and bending the results to your desires without trying to actually understand the play.

2. I 100% disagree. That's just playing the victim. We're really not the big deal you think we are with everyone involved in the NHL trying to make us lose. It's hilarious, it's just a hockey game. I honestly have a hard time believing people sit here and actually think the league is always conspiring against the poor little Canucks. Mind blowing really.

From listening to the subset of posters who complain non-stop on this site I usually tabulate every time they miss a call for  the other team. It happens lots during the game, funny though no one seems to acknowledge or notice those plays, only the ones against us. It's such blatantly obvious bias.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Did you see him strip a defenceman of the puck and then totally tuck it up high from in close...I miss that talent....but he is also -8

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

The issue is that it’s two games in a row against playoff teams that we’ve ended up on the wrong side. And it’s mostly due to discipline and special teams which has been an issue for months.

This is the time of year you wanna see guys step up and dial in their games and we’re just not seeing it lately.

Yup and it was an epic NINE GAME home stand with lots of extra days between. They should be rested and fine tuned with practice but seem to be trending in the wrong direction in pretty much every aspect of the game. Pain

• Vintage 1