[PGT] Stars vs Nux

Jaimito

2 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

All he can do as a coach and no longer a player is talk and instruct, it is on the players to execute

As frustrating as it is for us to observe, I am sure he feels the same

5V5 they seem to be ok though

That's very true but sometimes i do worry about him at the tactical level. We play a sound structure but i'm hoping to see more in-game adjustments. He likes to shorten the bench but i'd love to a switch in tactics more often. Playoffs is where that really matters so we'll see what he comes up with. 

50 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, I only asked because I never saw the play you're talking about at all. Usually I'm pretty attentive. Tocchet has commented several times on it but our lack of control with regards to high-sticking could easily lose us a series. Blueger (awful) has taken several very poor high sticking calls that has lost us games. Zadorov, and Myers, and others are also very poor in this regard. Gotta clean it up.

See this is a game where normally I would agree the refs weren't great (random penalties) but it was still reffed pretty even. However a person doesn't even want to admit that amongst the constant complaint factory here.

Also, could you spot me 100 quid? 😉

I'm as skint as a church rat, but for you, sure 😂😂🏴‍☠️⚓🍺

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We dumped the wrong contract on that one. We should have dumped Mik 5M

Thing is the coach was benching Kuzy and playing Mik.

I think R.T. asked to move Kuzy because he didn't like his game.

Every time he was benched fans questioned it.

Mik would be gone and we would have 5 mil+ sitting in the stands.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

The issue is that it’s two games in a row against playoff teams that we’ve ended up on the wrong side. And it’s mostly due to discipline and special teams which has been an issue for months.

This is the time of year you wanna see guys step up and dial in their games and we’re just not seeing it lately.

In the end it means nothing and they're not playing horribly. Meh! 🫣

24 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Yup and it was an epic NINE GAME home stand with lots of extra days between. They should be rested and fine tuned with practice but seem to be trending in the wrong direction in pretty much every aspect of the game. Pain

Ya that’s what is most disturbing. Extra rest and so much practice time and they are actually getting worse with regards to the pp. Biggest issue I find on the pp are two things lack of shots and the big one URGENCY. They show none on the pp. It looks like it’s 2 min of rest time for them. If they played as hard as they did five on five on the pp, it wouldn’t be having issues.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Well you can look at it however you want. That is your issue. I see a team that's been in first place in the entire NHL about 90% of the year, 6-3-1 in their last 10. The player you are talking about is 12th in the entire league in scoring and 6 points behind his teammate Miller. He has 33 goals, and is over 50% on the dot, which was a criticism in the past. He's doing this all at 25 years of age playing with guys like Mikheyev, Lafferty, Kuzsucko, all year, and now finally Hoglander, and Garland.

We're top 5 in the league. If I'm on the Canucks I am not thinking Petterson is a problem. Perhaps he's not lighting it up because he doesn't have to in order to win hockey games.

lol. I think the last two games prove we need him to start scoring.

4 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

In the end it means nothing and they're not playing horribly. Meh! 🫣

Well if you carry these habits into the playoffs it will sink you. You can’t just flip a switch.

So it is kind of a big deal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Even with the missed call(s), Bluegar needed to not take that penalty at that moment. It is what it is, guys f up from time to time. Without that we lock down a point at least. 

Yup. We absolutely have to stop the high sticking infractions. Terrible careless, and lazy penalties.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't think went all in at all.  What they trade for EL was nothing, imo. The first stings a bit, but that's a reasonable price to pay for Lindholm.  

They bolstered their lineup, but at a low cost.......not judged a success or failure by how far they go I don't think.

That wasn't going all in at all. This was a reasonable acquisition for a first place hockey team. Trading Willander, Lekk, and our 2025 first would be going all in.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

I thought it was a high stick initially and clamoured for us to challenge it. The best angle we have is arguably inconclusive - especially consider it’s taken from an upward angle making the stick possibly appear higher than if taken on a flat plane. Oh well. Other calls were missed that were egregious enough for media to comment on it. 

I didn’t mind seeing Petey in the bumper. It seemed to force him to shoot faster than when he is on his half wall. 

• Cheers 1

This game was way more entertaining than the LA fiasco. Two great teams battling hard and I give the Nucks the 5 on 5 edge.  The end of the game sucked balls and the douche reffs played a part in that. It seems to me that only US markets get homer officiating--too many Canadian teams in the play-off hunt I guess--not good for selling the game in the south. Mind you, I'm still bitter for how the officials called some of the Nucks play-off games--especially the SJ and Boston series. So perhaps my US market favouritism theory is founded more on bitterness than anything else. 

Between now and the Play-offs, I would like to see the Nucks police the dangerous crap themselves. Goon it up and who cares about the instigator penalty. Stop trying to win one goal games and start taking better care of each other. That Joshua push was way too dangerous to let slide with no retaliation. I get why Joshua didn't throw down but why didn't anyone F him up or take a number and send the message later? Take a page from Boston...

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Yes and no.  

Absolutely some hard choices will need to be made. 

We have guys like Bains (From Surrey), Lekkerimaki, Podkolzin, Willander pushing upward. It's not all doom and gloom. I think we likely deal a player at the draft to gain a high pick and Cap space. MGMT has done a good job at moneyballing around the edges.   

Not sure I have as much faith in our upcoming players as you do. It's great that Bains and Podz look "NHL Ready", and aren't a liability, but it's not like they are killing it up here while playing with Miller or Petey or Garland.

Bains has 0 points in 6 games playing with Miller.

Podz has 1 assist in 11 games.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NHL Tyranny said:

This game was way more entertaining than the LA fiasco. Two great teams battling hard and I give the Nucks the 5 on 5 edge.  The end of the game sucked balls and the douche reffs played a part in that. It seems to me that only US markets get homer officiating--too many Canadian teams in the play-off hunt I guess--not good for selling the game in the south. Mind you, I'm still bitter for how the officials called some of the Nucks play-off games--especially the SJ and Boston series. So perhaps my US market favouritism theory is founded more on bitterness than anything else. 

Between now and the Play-offs, I would like to see the Nucks police the dangerous crap themselves. Goon it up and who cares about the instigator penalty. Stop trying to win one goal games and start taking better care of each other. That Joshua push was way too dangerous to let slide with no retaliation. I get why Joshua didn't throw down but why didn't anyone F him up or take a number and send the message later? Take a page from Boston...

Who are our goons? Sure big z can hit but he doesn't chuck em very often or very well.

Joshua literally back 1 game after breaking his finger fighting, so he's not fighting anytime soon.

You really want Miller going out for 8 weeks with a broken hand?

Honestly for all the good management has done, they failed big time on adding some grit and size.

This team has no ability to inject emotion and physicality beyond a random hit here and there.

After watching the team in the past few games, think they are close but not quite there yet unless their specialty teams improve  - as much as they are concerned with the PP, I am actually way more concern with the PK at this time as it has had its problems for several years now.  

Last night loss was a costly one, not just in terms of EDM winning but also, after playing 57 minutes and not being able to secure a point for the effort. Five on five, they are actually fine on most nights - but again, its the PK losing us points whether its against Kings, Jets, Avs, Stars - we always seem to bring it up.  

You look at the league standings, and to no surprise, 9/10 top PKs are in the playoffs or lead their division.  Is it personnel, tactics or a combination.    If need be, try devoting a coaching member 100% just to work on the pk area moving forward - they do it with Ian Clark and the goalies, why not this critical area especially with the points already lost this month.

Just Win.jpg

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Who are our goons? Sure big z can hit but he doesn't chuck em very often or very well.

Joshua literally back 1 game after breaking his finger fighting, so he's not fighting anytime soon.

You really want Miller going out for 8 weeks with a broken hand?

Honestly for all the good management has done, they failed big time on adding some grit and size.

This team has no ability to inject emotion and physicality beyond a random hit here and there.

What?  The out hit most teams they play

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

lol. I think the last two games prove we need him to start scoring.

Everyone needs to start scoring, not just Petey, we are collectively one of the worst offensive teams in the league the last while. You're being hyper critical and glazing over all the context. This is a team that's had playoffs wrapped up for awhile and sit comfortably on top of the division (relative to the Central div), yet we're still putting up points at a .650 level. We're in the toughest stretch of the year and the other teams are doing everything they can to win. You're not just going to score multiple hattricks and win every single game. There is this thing called the opposition.

I don't know about you but I'd rather be in first place and playoff bound then have some highlight reel goals to talk about on the golf course. I'm sure like every player Petey would like to be scoring more goals too. I think your points will be far more relevant when and how he performs in the playoffs ... when we actually need him to score and provide those types of plays you're talking about.

Being all judgy when we're accomplishing what we are seems very nitpicky. He's 6 goals short of his career best and will likely end up with 35-38 goals on the season and close to 100 points while leading the team to it's 2nd best finish ever in history.

But sure, #40, get your sh!t together and score some highlight reel goals you useless scrub. 😂 🙊 :towel:

Here's a question. Do you think it's possible Petey is just finishing out an incredible Canucks season satisfied with winning hockey games and could elevate his game in the playoffs when we need him? 

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Everyone needs to start scoring, not just Petey, we are collectively one of the worst offensive teams in the league the last while. You're being hyper critical and glazing over all the context. This is a team that's had playoffs wrapped up for awhile and sit comfortably on top of the division (relative to the Central div), yet we're still putting up points at a .650 level. We're in the toughest stretch of the year and the other teams are doing everything they can to win. You're not just going to score multiple hattricks and win every single game. There is this thing called the opposition.

I don't know about you but I'd rather be in first place and playoff bound then have some highlight reel goals to talk about on the golf course. I'm sure like every player Petey would like to be scoring more goals too. I think your points will be far more relevant when and how he performs in the playoffs ... when we actually need him to score and provide those types of plays you're talking about.

Being all judgy when we're accomplishing what we are seems very nitpicky. He's 6 goals short of his career best and will likely end up with 35-38 goals on the season and close to 100 points while leading the team to it's 2nd best finish ever in history.

But sure, #40, get your sh!t together and score some highlight reel goals you useless scrub. 😂 🙊 :towel:

Here's a question. Do you think it's possible Petey is just finishing out an incredible Canucks season satisfied with winning hockey games and could elevate his game in the playoffs when we need him? 

Again, everyone seems to dismiss the fact that, after last season, Petey faced the best defensive players every game, including on the pp.  Yet still he's creeping up on 90 points.

As the seasons draws to a close, those teams in the hunt are getting more desperate and tightening up defensively........Petey being the main target 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, everyone seems to dismiss the fact that, after last season, Petey faced the best defensive players every game, including on the pp.  Yet still he's creeping up on 90 points.

As the seasons draws to a close, those teams in the hunt are getting more desperate and tightening up defensively........Petey being the main target 

We started out gangbusters offensively but then Tocch started trying to get the team to focus on defensive systems and getting ready for playoffs. 
Feels like still in adjustment phase. That and the good teams got into their stride while we hit some injuries is I think more why we have not been very good since ASB. 
Hopefully they pull it together before playoffs, these tight hard fought games will hopefully payoff in the end. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the tram is playing quite well.  Dallas has one of their best teams ever this year and will be very tough.  My only concern is the lack of scoring.  The structure is so strong now it seems to limit scoring and taking more chances.  The same thing happened in phoenix when RC was coaching.  They played well defensively but were not a scoring team ( less talent i get that).  I am a little confused with how the canucks are one of the worst scoring offenses the past 40 games or so..  same players more or less  that had one of the highest scoring teams minus kuz ( still sad he was traded) last year and the first 30 or so this year?  

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That angle is terrible to attempt to judge a high stick. 😆 You can't judge how high the puck is from an overhead angle at 135 deg. Come on now.

Here is how the call was made. Pretty simple really.

image.png.14311840272dda767c8a4b75e1896936.png

I don’t by this ruling - an NHL net is 4 ft in height so Garland or Hoglander may apply to the shoulder height rule but not Robertson who is listed at 6 ft 3 in height, so it should’ve been at least blown dead by the linemen. I’m sorry the reffing in the NHL is bush league and so inconsistent. I was telling my girlfriend while watching the game that technically every play can be a penalty and I also admitted to her that the refs have a tough job on what and when to call, I’m just tired of the inconsistency in our game. I knew as soon as we took that penalty (which was a penalty at any point) with 3:30 left in game I turned to her and said we lose right here. When Joshua got pushed into boards head first before the no ref saw anything there, or the high stick follow thru on Hronek I don’t care if it’s a penalty or not, but blow the whistle huddle with your team of officials at least. Anyways love our team Go Canucks! 

:towel:

• Vintage 1