[PGT] Stars vs Nux

Jaimito

Not a fan of Bains 

Juulsen has actually looked better than Myers... 

Looking forward to getting Lindholm back

Great to have Joshua back. 

Not worried about this team. 

I have faith they will figure out special teams. 

Maybe they already have figured it out but are waiting to unveil it during playoffs when they absolutely need to score a goal

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, everyone seems to dismiss the fact that, after last season, Petey faced the best defensive players every game, including on the pp.  Yet still he's creeping up on 90 points.

As the seasons draws to a close, those teams in the hunt are getting more desperate and tightening up defensively........Petey being the main target 

Yeah, the expectations are ridiculous. The fact that he's following up a 100 point season with a similar year, plus turning a 22nd place team finish into a top 5 is amazing. 

Why on earth people would be so critical in this situation I don't know. If he had 60 points then sure but he's one of the top performers in the league. He hasn't been on fire lately but the entire team has been quietly plodding along as a whole for awhile now.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Hammertime said:

If I can offer my $0.02 regarding the PP.

The answer is Hronek. He reminds me of early Salo where he would just clap bombs where they were going was anyone's guess including Salo. As he matured he realized defenders would freeze preparing for the blast and Salo started feathering pucks through the crowd. As much as our PP being static is a problem for us being static is worse for the PK. If Hronek loads up that wild 1 timer a few times he will start freezing defenders and lanes will open up for him to feather back door plays. 

I think we need to get pucks to Hronek. Lots of pucks. 55 shot attempts 5v4 is not enough double it. We need traffic in front picking up greasy ones. Our PP looks too cutesy lets break some ankles. I like the idea of parking Zee in front with Miller in the bumper. 

I agree. The one downside to Hronek right now is that he can't seem to hit the net (or even get close sometimes). I think he needs to take 5% off his shots - once he starts hitting the net with solid power then the feather shots will only add another dimension.

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The habits on the pp you mean.  The rest of their game is fine. 

Penalty kill is also a weak spot.

Fix the special teams, and they have a chance to go deep in the playoffs.

If not they will be cooked in 5-6 games.

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Everyone needs to start scoring, not just Petey, we are collectively one of the worst offensive teams in the league the last while. You're being hyper critical and glazing over all the context. This is a team that's had playoffs wrapped up for awhile and sit comfortably on top of the division (relative to the Central div), yet we're still putting up points at a .650 level. We're in the toughest stretch of the year and the other teams are doing everything they can to win. You're not just going to score multiple hattricks and win every single game. There is this thing called the opposition.

I don't know about you but I'd rather be in first place and playoff bound then have some highlight reel goals to talk about on the golf course. I'm sure like every player Petey would like to be scoring more goals too. I think your points will be far more relevant when and how he performs in the playoffs ... when we actually need him to score and provide those types of plays you're talking about.

Being all judgy when we're accomplishing what we are seems very nitpicky. He's 6 goals short of his career best and will likely end up with 35-38 goals on the season and close to 100 points while leading the team to it's 2nd best finish ever in history.

But sure, #40, get your sh!t together and score some highlight reel goals you useless scrub. 😂 🙊 :towel:

Here's a question. Do you think it's possible Petey is just finishing out an incredible Canucks season satisfied with winning hockey games and could elevate his game in the playoffs when we need him? 

I believe there may be a little dissention going on with some of the players in regards to not staying with the same lines.  Rick is trying some new combos

and the players just are not responding. For most of the year, they've seen the team win with set lines and defensive combos.  Where as it may be true Lindholm

created some switching when he arrived, that's not what I really mean. Pettersson can play with anyone and so can Miller, but I'm sure they would both prefer

regular line mates. Score more goals that way. IMO

• Upvote 1

I think Patrick Kane is a good comparison to EP. Both light, skilled players. Even their points totals to ages are similar. EP will adjust and get how to play through the added defense on him, I'm confident in that. I still think a lot of it depends on his linmates and chemistry. I like Hogs with EP, add a big physical winger who's smart and fast please. Not Boeser, BB and EP don't mix imho. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

I don’t by this ruling - an NHL net is 4 ft in height so Garland or Hoglander may apply to the shoulder height rule but not Robertson who is listed at 6 ft 3 in height, so it should’ve been at least blown dead by the linemen. I’m sorry the reffing in the NHL is bush league and so inconsistent. I was telling my girlfriend while watching the game that technically every play can be a penalty and I also admitted to her that the refs have a tough job on what and when to call, I’m just tired of the inconsistency in our game. I knew as soon as we took that penalty (which was a penalty at any point) with 3:30 left in game I turned to her and said we lose right here. When Joshua got pushed into boards head first before the no ref saw anything there, or the high stick follow thru on Hronek I don’t care if it’s a penalty or not, but blow the whistle huddle with your team of officials at least. Anyways love our team Go Canucks! 

:towel:

Are you aware of the rule itself? It's actually that you can't play it above your shoulder ... it has nothing to do with the net height I don't think. I believe that was the rule many many years ago. Maybe you're thinking about that:

Rule 6.9 – High-Sticking the Puck

Players may not contact the puck with their stick, above the normal height of the shoulders. · No goal may be scored as the result of High-Sticking the Puck, ...

You're 100% right that a penalty could be called on just about every sequence in competitive hockey. The referees are there just to keep the game flowing and not let it get out of control. You get power plays and penalty kills in every game, just like errant passes, poor ice, and weird deflections. It's part of the very fabric of the sport, you try to score on PP's, and kill off the PK's. The best way you can avoid being disappointed is to simply not make illegal plays in the first place.

Horrible penalty for Blueger. I knew we were done too. That's why you don't take bad penalties. Any time you make an illegal infraction you are liable to incur a penalty. Pretty simple stuff in my books. If you don't like the inconsistency of calls don't slash players in the face.

I concur ... Go Canucks Go! 

image.jpeg

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

It’s a team game and we’ve been spreading the wealth this season. I’ll take the year we’ve had over middling to crap with a 100 point Petey any day. There are more inputs to a teams success than a stat line. 

If Lindholm can get healthy, I’d be interested to see the following lineup for when we need to spark the offense:

Boeser Miller Petey

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hoglander Lindholm Mikheyev

Lafferty Suter Podz

Mik Miller boeser

Hogs Petey Garland

DJ Lindy Podz

Pdg blue laff

That's my ultimate lineup

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well if you carry these habits into the playoffs it will sink you. You can’t just flip a switch.

So it is kind of a big deal.

Plenty of teams flip switches and plenty of teams ride momentum! Depends on the team and their desire to win. Some guys play better with stakes on the line. I anticipate JT and Zadorov being huge in the first series. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I believe there may be a little dissention going on with some of the players in regards to not staying with the same lines.  Rick is trying some new combos

and the players just are not responding. For most of the year, they've seen the team win with set lines and defensive combos.  Where as it may be true Lindholm

created some switching when he arrived, that's not what I really mean. Pettersson can play with anyone and so can Miller, but I'm sure they would both prefer

regular line mates. Score more goals that way. IMO

Yes, true. However if you want to test some combos out in preparation for playoffs this is the time. It's also hard with Lindholm being out and Joshua playing his first game, plus we're simply missing a top 6 forward or two.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Mik Miller boeser

Hogs Petey Garland

DJ Lindy Podz

Pdg blue laff

That's my ultimate lineup

I like that a lot too! 

Mik can hang with Miller and Boeser and be a speedy puck retriever. Hogs Petey and Garland has shown very well so far. And DJ Lindy Podz just sounds hard as hell to play against. 

I’d swap PDG out for Suter though.

37 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I agree. The one downside to Hronek right now is that he can't seem to hit the net (or even get close sometimes). I think he needs to take 5% off his shots - once he starts hitting the net with solid power then the feather shots will only add another dimension.

Early in the year he was connecting for a lot of redirections - perhaps he’s still looking for the outside in tip ins 

57 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

I don’t by this ruling - an NHL net is 4 ft in height so Garland or Hoglander may apply to the shoulder height rule but not Robertson who is listed at 6 ft 3 in height, so it should’ve been at least blown dead by the linemen. I’m sorry the reffing in the NHL is bush league and so inconsistent. I was telling my girlfriend while watching the game that technically every play can be a penalty and I also admitted to her that the refs have a tough job on what and when to call, I’m just tired of the inconsistency in our game. I knew as soon as we took that penalty (which was a penalty at any point) with 3:30 left in game I turned to her and said we lose right here. When Joshua got pushed into boards head first before the no ref saw anything there, or the high stick follow thru on Hronek I don’t care if it’s a penalty or not, but blow the whistle huddle with your team of officials at least. Anyways love our team Go Canucks! 

:towel:

It's a very good point and the way it's called should be changed. When the rule was made, it was likely that players in general weren't a big or tall as many players are now.

44 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

It’s a team game and we’ve been spreading the wealth this season. I’ll take the year we’ve had over middling to crap with a 100 point Petey any day. There are more inputs to a teams success than a stat line. 

If Lindholm can get healthy, I’d be interested to see the following lineup for when we need to spark the offense:

Boeser Miller Petey

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hoglander Lindholm Mikheyev

Lafferty Suter Podz

This is very likely the go to line up, if all are injury free, and they need wins. 

8 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I like that a lot too! 

Mik can hang with Miller and Boeser and be a speedy puck retriever. Hogs Petey and Garland has shown very well so far. And DJ Lindy Podz just sounds hard as hell to play against. 

I’d swap PDG out for Suter though.

Oh yeah, suter.  Thanks

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

You seem to be discounting the fact that he's still been a major component of making the team the #1 team in the NHL all year long. What that includes is changing your game to learn how to win games, as compared to piling up points and being a flashy goalscorer. Like are you mad we don't have 110 points already, and that's on Petey?

What I see is a player that has learned how to win and be central in shutting the other teams down while also being a major contributor offensively. The guy has a 73GP 33G 51A 84PTS and people like you are ripping into him for it. Very naive. Really seems like you're just taking a surface glance and then judging to suit your narrative. 

It's funny how people just regurgitate the season stat line to claim he's doing fine. He's been very inconsistent to the point where his own coach described his play as sporadic. It's plain to see that he can't be counted on to show up offensively on a nightly basis. Playing defense and throwing hits is all good and fine, but the standard has to be higher for a player who just signed 8x11.6.

His inconsistency is due to the fact that he doesn't seem able to drive play or create volume chances on a consistent basis. He's a great converter of chances that are presented to him, which is again is all good and fine until you put it in the context of him having just signed 8x11.6.

People argue he's still on 7.35m how, which to me is a tacit admission that he's not an 11.6m player right now. To this I ask - do you expect him to magically level up massively once his next contract kicks in? Not impossible, but it makes that contract a huge gamble.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Plenty of teams flip switches and plenty of teams ride momentum! Depends on the team and their desire to win. Some guys play better with stakes on the line. I anticipate JT and Zadorov being huge in the first series. 

Exactly this. That's the problem with absolute type thinking in that how things are in the now will be how they are in the future. We all know certain guys thrive with elevated stakes. We all know unexpected greatness emerges within those stakes. Switches do get flipped come playoff time.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Yup and it was an epic NINE GAME home stand with lots of extra days between. They should be rested and fine tuned with practice but seem to be trending in the wrong direction in pretty much every aspect of the game. Pain

Seems to me that their defensive and even strength games are very good.  It's the PP that is killing them.

They stood up well against the Kings and the Stars and had an excellent chance to win either one of them;

but for the PP.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

People argue he's still on 7.35m how, which to me is a tacit admission that he's not an 11.6m player right now. To this I ask - do you expect him to magically level up massively once his next contract kicks in? Not impossible, but it makes that contract a huge gamble.

No. I expect the contract is designed based on potential, he probably won't live up to the contract for a couple years when it will become good value. Of course it's a huge gamble, it's a 90 million dollar deal, lol, but these players don't grow on trees. Be disappointed all you want but it's unrealistic. I think it's awesome we're a top 5 team this year and I think that is pretty acceptable season for both the team and Petey. If we fizzle out in the playoffs due to his inconsistent play than let the bitching ensue, but not before like this petty BS. Just bitching to bitch.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, forgot suter.  In for pdg.......though I'm not a fan of suter

Me either but yeah he probably draws in over PDG. Good line-up though I agree.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, the expectations are ridiculous. The fact that he's following up a 100 point season with a similar year, plus turning a 22nd place team finish into a top 5 is amazing. 

Why on earth people would be so critical in this situation I don't know. If he had 60 points then sure but he's one of the top performers in the league. He hasn't been on fire lately but the entire team has been quietly plodding along as a whole for awhile now.

At his current pace over the last 20 games he might not make it to 90 points. 

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No. I expect the contract is designed based on potential, he probably won't live up to the contract for a couple years when it will become good value. Of course it's a huge gamble, it's a 90 million dollar deal, lol, but these players don't grow on trees. Be disappointed all you want but it's unrealistic. I think it's awesome we're a top 5 team this year and I think that is pretty acceptable season for both the team and Petey. If we fizzle out in the playoffs due to his inconsistent play than let the bitching ensue, but not before like this petty BS. Just bitching to bitch.

Me either but yeah he probably draws in over PDG. Good line-up though I agree.

I don't understand what's not to like about Suter. I would much rather Suter in the top 6 than Mikheyev. He works well with skill players or on a checking line. 

Suter Miller Brock have been great togheter. Suter Raymond Larkin and Suter Veleno Bergren were also some of the best lines Detroit was able to serve up last year. Suter's a beaut reminds me of Santorelli how he can be moved up and down the lineup and bring something to every line.  

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1