[PGT] Stars vs Nux

Jaimito

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

And you think the canucks had a chance to find a player like that at the tdl?  At what cost?  They already moved their first, a good young prospect........what would thry have had to give up to get a player like that, especially when it's not really necessary because they're already near the top of the league for physical play.

First of all youre putting words in my mouth.

Secondly sure Ill play. I think a guys like Duhaime, Max Jones, Parker Kelly, Noel Accairi were available in a reasonable price range

I really wanted Malenstine/Clutterbuck but their teams were still in the hunt and didn't make any moves. Maybe if they were a few points lower.  

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

How many points did Petey have against McD?

I just checked McKinnons last games and a point from an empty netter and two powerplay points.

No problem taking him out in over two periods each game and every single 5v5 minute. 
Do McKinnon is worthless then since he can’t do anything 5v5 against us. 😙

and if you look at how we play we could have scored a lot on the chances Petey created. 

I'm glad our team doesn't underestimate these players the way you do. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

First of all youre putting words in my mouth.

Secondly sure Ill play. I think a guys like Duhaime, Max Jones, Parker Kelly, Noel Accairi were available in a reasonable price range

I really wanted Malenstine/Clutterbuck but their teams were still in the hunt and didn't make any moves. Maybe if they were a few points lower.  

A tough 4th liner would have helped alot. For some reason we didn't add one. But it is definitely a priority in the off season.  Because Aman is Swedish shouldn't mean he's guaranteed that spot.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bell said:

Tocchet has done an amazing job so far this year but his constant blending of the lines is troubling.  When the Canucks were dominant in the beginning of the year Rick would roll the same lines out shift after shift.  The last while he has been changing the lines constantly.  Why the F did he split Boeser and Miller last game.  He is trying things for no apparent reason.  Please Rick get back to consistent lines

Well he's been without Joshua and Lindholm ... what do you expect?

Need the players healthy to put them in a lineup.

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

A tough 4th liner would have helped alot. For some reason we didn't add one. But it is definitely a priority in the off season.  Because Aman is Swedish shouldn't mean he's guaranteed that spot.

I don't particularly have any beef with Aman, PDG, Laffpalooza, Bains etc. And I don't think we need to go full R word and bring in a Matt Martin, Reeves, Zack Mac type. 

Moving forward I love guys like Pete, Garland, Hogs who though slight play feisty and draw buckets of powerplays.  It's also important to support those guys with more middle 6 guys like Joshua, Sissons, Marchment, Anderson. 

Instead of a 5m 6'3 Mikwaif

6 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I don't particularly have any beef with Aman, PDG, Laffpalooza, Bains etc. And I don't think we need to go full R word and bring in a Matt Martin, Reeves, Zack Mac type. 

Moving forward I love guys like Pete, Garland, Hogs who though slight play feisty and draw buckets of powerplays.  It's also important to support those guys with more middle 6 guys like Joshua, Sissons, Marchment, Anderson. 

Instead of a 5m 6'3 Mikwaif

What I'm talking about is a balanced line up. We've got a lot of skill guys bit we need to add toughness.  Which had been the case for a while now.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What I'm talking about is a balanced line up. We've got a lot of skill guys bit we need to add toughness.  Which had been the case for a while now.

I'm with you there 100%. I love that Brock is scoring again but between him and Mik thats a lot of top6 money tied up in softies. If you wan't a tougher team sell high on Brock and low on Mik and re allocate that 11+M to tougher 50 pt guys.  

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Yes and no.  

Absolutely some hard choices will need to be made. 

We have guys like Bains (From Surrey), Lekkerimaki, Podkolzin, Willander pushing upward. It's not all doom and gloom. I think we likely deal a player at the draft to gain a high pick and Cap space. MGMT has done a good job at moneyballing around the edges.   

Most of those prospects have proven nothing so far and have little to no AHL and/or NHL experience or value, so they are useless to us and are "unproven paper assets" that we wish one day might become NHL serviceable players - with the exception of Podz which might turn into something.  As for bains. they're simply letting him dip his feet in the NHL water to see if he's worth trading in July or keeping for a few more years of development on the farm team.   In other words, their taking him for a "test ride".

As for the others, waving those other prospect names around is what management does constantly to maintain some form of "HOPE" in the fan base so we don't completely give-up on them.    I think they call it "Propoganda" in normal places.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo

22 hours ago, Pears said:

Conveniently leaving out the part where we'll have at least $28 million in cap space but why include things that go against your narrative right?

$5 bucks says 6-8 players will not return next year!

21 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I'm with you there 100%. I love that Brock is scoring again but between him and Mik thats a lot of top6 money tied up in softies. If you wan't a tougher team sell high on Brock and low on Mik and re allocate that 11+M to tougher 50 pt guys.  

Great post!  I honestly think getting rid of Brock to bring in a more rounded versitile player would be beneficial to the team.     Brock could hold reasonable value in July and if I was GM - would "cash him out" for sure this year while his trade stock is high, as he is a one dimensional player good at only one thing - Shooting - and we need more than that from a so called top player at that $ level and the same reason Lind-🏠 won't be back because he is only half descent (56% only) at one thing - faceoffs and overpaid - which is why Mgmt tried to unload him at the TDL because they soon realized what a mistake it was to trade for him.

As for Mik, they're either going to try to pkg him up in another trade deal or ride him out as they can't afford another buy out due to the massive $2M rising to $5M dollar buy-back penalty about to hit them for the Jim Benning OEL mistake they cleared off the roster, but agree he's another Boat Anchor too.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

10 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Most of those prospects have proven nothing so far and have little to no AHL and/or NHL experience or value, so they are useless to us and are "unproven paper assets" that we wish one day might become NHL serviceable players - with the exception of Podz which might turn into something.  As for bains. they're simply letting him did his feet in the water to see if he's worth trading in July or keeping for a few more years of development on the farm team. 

As for the others, waving those other prospect names around is what management does constantly to maintain some form of "HOPE" in the fan base so we don't completely give-up on them.    I think they call it "Propoganda" in normal places.

But Jensen, Schredder, Gaunce and the McDavid killer Cole Cassles are the future. 

Hope is always necessary. Without it we may as well fold the franchise. I like how Hog and Pod are cooking. Juulsen and Joshua water into wine. I have "Hope" for our next crop. 

Just now, Hammertime said:

But Jensen, Schredder, Gaunce and the McDavid killer Cole Cassles are the future. 

Hope is always necessary. Without it we may as well fold the franchise. I like how Hog and Pod are cooking. Juulsen and Joshua water into wine. I have "Hope" for our next crop. 

Yep, Hogs looks really Good and Podz is still a work in progress but showing a bit of improvement from last year but still only looking like a 4th liner at this point - maybe 3rd (on a sunny day) I also agree Joshua is " a keeper" and maybe Juulson too for another season to see if his improvements this year are a blip or here to stay but I would not sign him long term until we see more consistancy from him.

• -dlc- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yep, Hogs looks really Good and Podz is still a work in progress but showing a bit of improvement from last year but still only looking like a 4th liner at this point - maybe 3rd (on a sunny day) I also agree Joshua is " a keeper" and maybe Juulson too for another season to see if his improvements this year are a blip or here to stay but I would not sign him long term until we see more consistancy from him.

"Hope" is a good thing to have. There is hope IMO. Willander is playing with Lane Hutson and a +24. We just saw on display Lekkerimaki's shot at the WJC, Silovs crushed the worlds. EPD looks like a better version of Brisebois. Raty looks at the very least a player along with Bains who was free. Yes the OEL penalty sucks but among these guys it really only takes 1 of these guys hitting to offset that and if 2 or more do we look pretty good. "Hope is not lost"  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Shannon has no expectations for the team so it's a pretty balanced video pointing out the good and bad parts. Nothing earth-shattering (pp fixes, close games, no demko, expected pod decline) though he does point out that hronek is second in the league in d-zone giveaways and that is something he was better at during the first.

He expected them to not make the playoffs so he thinks they are somewhere between the first half team and current team. 

Just saw the headline and was like nah 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, stawns said:

What?  The out hit most teams they play

So? How the NHL measures hits is on a very big sliding scale.

Canucks have been doing a good job forechecking which leads to more hits, but I definitely don't see them physically manhandling any team.

My post was super valid about the team not having much toughness, not sure you really bothered to think about that before responding 

17 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

So? How the NHL measures hits is on a very big sliding scale.

Canucks have been doing a good job forechecking which leads to more hits, but I definitely don't see them physically manhandling any team.

My post was super valid about the team not having much toughness, not sure you really bothered to think about that before responding 

Physical manhandling isn't even a thing anymore.  That's dinosaur thinking 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's still hockey. Guy's get bruised over a 7 game series it doesn't help if you have Maxim Lapierre Burrows yapping at you between the whistles either. Canucks brand hockey brought to you by Bieksa Kes Rypien and company is still a valid gameplan. We have a ton of skill on this roster. How far they go will depend on their tenacity. 

I Had a great Easter Friday and a wonderful meal with a house full of family life is good.

But I couldn't wait to get here and listen to the house band "Chicken Little & the Boo Hoo Crew"

A playoff type game that had a couple of stinker calls & non calls, just like the way the whistles get put away in the playoffs.

An experiment in scrambled lines prior to the playoffs, that could have gone better, and the PP couldn't beat one of the top PK crews in the NHL 

Petey quite literally saved a goal rushing back to the front of his own net, had hits, and was double teamed in the offensive zone you can't do it all.

GCG 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Do you by chance watch any other teams in the NHL? There are dozens of games that turned physical and teams have used physicality to control the game. If this happens to the canucks I simply don't see how they can compete. 

Over a 7 game series we have the potential to be victimized if teams decide to target Hughes, or Petey. Not sure why you feel compelled to disagree with that.