[PGT] Stars vs Nux

Jaimito

6 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

The three players I worry about under the pressure of playoff hockey are: Pettersson, Meyers, and Cole.

What's happened to Cole? He seems to have lost his confidence. I'd put Juulson in over Cole or Myers.

Myers looked awkward and made several mistakes getting pucks out of the zone and didn't cover the Dallas player in the slot on the second PP goal. There was no one in front of the net, so why was he waiting there?

How can a player like Pettersson who has 84 pts and still seem like he's going to struggle in the playoffs. Garland is shorter / lighter than him, yet I would put Garland in over Pettersson. Garland has a ton of energy and fight while Pettersson just looks like he doesn't have another gear when teams up their game. Pettersson has great control of the puck, but frankly should be shooting more and stick handling less.

Number one issue - Speciality teams. How can we win a series like today's game when both our PK and PP aren't helping us. Yes we could have gotten more PPs tonight, but would it have mattered? No teams fear our PP, so that's a huge advantage because it means they can interfer or trip or whatever and know it won't cost them a goal.

Dallas 2-5 and Canucks 0-3. That's the game. 

Number two issue - too much passing not enough shooting on net. When games are tight. Shoot at the net and hope for bounces. Look at the other top teams right now - Rangers, Colorado, and Dallas - just shoot on net. Puck possession doesn't matter if you're waiting for the perfect shot.

Pettersson doesn't seem quick enough on his feet to create space to get his shot off on a consistent basis. Having a great shot doesn't help much if you can't create the space to shoot.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

Bring back Bruce...Kuzmenkos's scoring at a 30 goal seasn pace in Calgary....Trade Petey...Lindholms the cause...Boeser's usless...bench Myers....I miss anything?

You’re completely off topic. We were discussing the line shuffling which has nothing to do with your sarcasm.

5 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

It's popular to say he's young and still getting better, but I think if we look at it honestly, I don't think Pettersson has leveled up that much since his first couple of seasons.

I whole heartedly agree. I think his inability to gain strength and weight is a major issue. Teams have ramped up their physical play and he isn’t able to respond. It’s a big deal that he’s easily getting knocked of pucks and falling down. It means physically he is struggling. We are also seeing things from his game go missing like his shot and his ability to get time and space. Can anyone remember the last time he had a breakaway or has been on a two on one. It just doesn’t happen anymore. I think teams game plan on him is to punish him physically and I think he knows he do it physically which is an issue. I love Petey I am just shocked as to where his game has gone this year.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Petey needs to start showing up in these tough games against tough competition. My god Canuck fans bitched and complained when Miller got 8 million and he’s the heart and soul now imagine 11.6 who only shows up against inferior opposition. Not looking forwards to the character arc with Petey during this contract. 

I sure hope he gets bigger and stronger over time because he gets knocked off the puck with ease now and falls down every second play because of his featherweight lanky stature and why he'll be banged up alot in the playoffs.   He's still relatively young and might fill out a bit more but he'll never be a strong power forward like a Mckinnon or McJesus even though he's paid almost as much as them - for some reason.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'd prefer either they put the whistles away or they call things tightly.

But they're just so inept at times and it's glaring. It's like they miss something then try to make up for missed calls and start calling everything. Until they get tired and then they go back to sleep. It's really inconsistent....not even from game to game but during a game. Feast and famine crap.

I still believe they should have to conduct an interview post game and maybe explain some of it. Like even be honest with "I really didn't see it" and it would give them some credibility. But they just get to slink out. And no one's allowed to talk about it.

That's not how you run a credible organization.

But honestly, I'm used to it now. It is what it is. (Total bush league)

That should also be combined with the ref cam.  If the ref claims to have not seen something, while it is in clear view of a camera from the front of his helmet, that needs to be addressed via suspension.

2 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Pettersson doesn't seem quick enough on his feet to create space to get his shot off on a consistent basis. Having a great shot doesn't help much if you can't create the space to shoot.

Maybe Pettersson isn't strong enough yet to go to another gear. I hope the Canuck's coaches can help him figure out how to play in the physical, tight checking games. Somehow Garland can escape hits or physical play even though he is smaller than Pettersson.

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I whole heartedly agree. I think his inability to gain strength and weight is a major issue. Teams have ramped up their physical play and he isn’t able to respond. It’s a big deal that he’s easily getting knocked of pucks and falling down. It means physically he is struggling. We are also seeing things from his game go missing like his shot and his ability to get time and space. Can anyone remember the last time he had a breakaway or has been on a two on one. It just doesn’t happen anymore. I think teams game plan on him is to punish him physically and I think he knows he do it physically which is an issue. I love Petey I am just shocked as to where his game has gone this year.

Not just his strength - his skating and foot speed also have to improve.

30 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

During this run of games with DeSmith in net, our scoring has really dried up. Like we’ve trying to win 1-0 every night.

That, and our dreadful power play. Really must take Suter off pp 1 and find a better option. 

Maybe Trade Lind-🏠 for a natural goal scorer that actually fits on PP1 like Kuzmenko, a 1st, a 3rd or 4th draft picks, two badly needed defensive prospects (one of them very promising) and our reputation back.   

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

1. IT is possible to criticize the refs AND NOT believe there is a conspiracy against the team.  The missed obvious and blatant interference on Joshua was a large oversight by the refs - is it really hard to believe fans will get a little emotional when the refs manage to do their job when there are 3 minutes left but not before.  Funny how one particular poster seems to get off on lecturing people in this context.

2.  PP needs to get clicking or it could be a big problem in close games down the stretch and in the playoffs.

3. Tocchet probably shouldnt be messing around with the lines in such a big game.  Why was JT playing with Bains? Nothing against the kid but is that the best way of utilizing your best player.

4.  Playoffs are coming, lets enjoy.  The teams around the Canucks in the standings have been building for years, and gaining experience in the playoffs for years.  This is going to be a multi step process.  

I actually thought Bains was one of the better Canucks tonight. I do agree though that it doesn't make sense to be messing with lines at this point. Messing with lines should have happened 20-30 games ago not now.

1 minute ago, 43isprime said:

Not just his strength - his skating and foot speed also have to improve.

Yes for sure. I mean there is a reason his points have taken a hit. He’s having a bad year. It would have had to have been 100 points or better if he was going to have a good year. Well below that this year.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Maybe Pettersson isn't strong enough yet to go to another gear. I hope the Canuck's coaches can help him figure out how to play in the physical, tight checking games. Somehow Garland can escape hits or physical play even though he is smaller than Pettersson.

That's fine, but maybe don't commit him to 8x11.6m until he's established himself as a player that can be counted on on nightly basis.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It's like some people have never watched hockey before. The refs were trying to let them play but Blueger sticked a guy right in the face. It's like an automatic penalty for shooting the puck over the glass. There is a mandate for player safety regarding sticks to the face and they are called every time. Those are stupid penalties to take as they serve no purpose and are just careless and inattentive.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Sorry Doom, I’m have to disagree. The game was pretty even up until the Blueger penalty with 3:28 left. In fact the Canucks were outshooting the stars in the 3rd at that point. It was anybody’s game.

If you base it on our lack of pp prowess, than yah, we didn’t deserve to win.

Yup. This was about special teams. Gave up 2 short handed and didn't capitalize on any of ours. Again. They say special teams are on the coaches. 

2 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Sorry Doom, I’m have to disagree. The game was pretty even up until the Blueger penalty with 3:28 left. In fact the Canucks were outshooting the stars in the 3rd at that point. It was anybody’s game.

If you base it on our lack of pp prowess, than yah, we didn’t deserve to win.

This is all I was referencing. 

Screenshot_20240328_232312_Chrome.jpg

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 43isprime said:

That's fine, but maybe don't commit him to 8x11.6m until he's established himself as a player that can be counted on on nightly basis.

It's a bit of a gamble, based on regular season points. BUT what happens in the playoffs will show if his salary is worth it or not.

• Upvote 1